PDA

View Full Version : Re-location to calfornia possible

dracimus
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I am in possiblity to get a new Job in Sac, California.

I am currently resident of Illinois and I own a StagArm AR15 Model 4, 20 inch HBAR AR15 rifle with Knight Armamanet Corp quad handguard.

question is this legal for me to move with me?

also HK USP Compact .40. what should I be aware of the California law relate to that firearm.

I have read about Assault weapon ban. too much details for me to understand though.

Thanks in advance
Dracimus

OleCuss
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
First, go to this link: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

It'll nicely cover your handgun question.

I'm not one of the gurus, but I'm pretty sure the answer on your AR-15 is that you should secure it elsewhere for now and wait for our law to change (decent chance within the next year or two or three or more). Selling it might make sense.

dracimus
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
looks like it's illegal in calfornia to own those Stag Arms AR15 Model 4. it's similiar configuration to RRA AR15 Flat top A4.

but i am the owner is it legal for me to bring with me into California from other state?

if not. then I will be sad to see it go. since I am law abiding citizen :/

Window_Seat
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
California Centerfire, Semi-Auto Rifle Identification Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf)

Erik.

Ding126
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
You may bring the stag into CA..it would be best to add a bullet button prior to entering the state
USP is legal..you must register with the DOJ within 30 or 60 days..fill out the form send in a check and about 3 weeks you will recv a letter confirming your pistol is now on record with the state..Keep the letter with you while going to the range or transporting...just in case

Ding126
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome to California.....on a good side..you won't have to shovel snow anymore and if you want snow..it's about an hour or two away

OleCuss
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
looks like it's illegal in calfornia to own those Stag Arms AR15 Model 4. it's similiar configuration to RRA AR15 Flat top A4.

but i am the owner is it legal for me to bring with me into California from other state?

if not. then I will be sad to see it go. since I am law abiding citizen :/

OK, I own an AR-15 which was registered as an "Assault Weapon" prior to the deadline. I can own it, use it, put all kinds of ugly things on it, etc.

But the key is that I owned it and registered it prior to the deadline.

As far as I can tell from a quick check, your weapon would be defined by the State of California as an "Assault Weapon" and therefore unless you meet very unusual criteria (mostly you are Law Enforcement) you may not import or possess your AR-15 within the State of California.

Up at the top of the page there is a link which helps you figure out what is legal for AW's in California but here's a link to the interactive guide to determine whether or not your weapon is a dreaded AW and can't be in California: http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Edit: I think the point about the bullet button is a good one. But I think you could only use a 1 round magazine with the bullet button. Oh, and you cannot bring normal-capacity magazines into California (10 rounds and under is OK).

dracimus
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I see about the bullet button... interesting modification. I might do that. but I assume i have to get rid of those 30 rounders magazines, and obtain 10 rounders.

I will make few phone calls to California DOJ after i am offically hired for new job.

Thanks for respond.

OleCuss
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Be careful about DOJ. They don't always know what they're talking about. Use the Wiki for CalGuns and do some searches and then talk to DOJ.

Lone_Gunman
05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I see about the bullet button... interesting modification. I might do that. but I assume i have to get rid of those 30 rounders magazines, and obtain 10 rounders.

I will make few phone calls to California DOJ after i am offically hired for new job.

Thanks for respond.

The Stag is an Off List Lower or OLL. All you have to do is install a bullet button or similar device to make it legal. Also all you have to do to bring your 30 rounders in to CA is take them apart into "parts kits" and bring them on in. You can not re-assemble them in state but you can have all of the parts and re-assemble them for out of state use that is perfectly legal. Furthermore if you possessed the 30 rounders in CA at any time before the 2000 ban you can bring them in as they are legally possessed in CA pre-ban.

Use the flowchart. It is the easiest way to make sure you are legal.

Don't ask the DOJ anything. The bulk of the people who answer the phones there are either stupid or liars or both. The laws have been researched exhaustively by members here and have been successfully defended in court numerous times. Just use the flowchart.

dracimus
05-13-2010, 1:09 PM
did a flow chart

1.Yes it's AR
2.No StagArms is not on Appendix B or C
3.It is Not under 16 inch barrel (20 inch Heavy barrel)
4."Stag Arms" not listed on Appendix A
5.Not a .50 BMG
6.Yes less than 30 inch, Can't fired in shortest configuration unless I purchase the upper so No
7. Does rifle have detachable magazine Yes
8. does it have grip or flash suppressor, yes
9. Illegal...

I think california is full of joke. dont make any sense. oh well. Job comes 1st though. My dad can be a safekeeper of my AR15. and try to get it registered if it's approve then I will have it bring into California with proper paperwork. that's a plan.

Plain and simple to follow the law.

Ding126
05-13-2010, 1:14 PM
add the bullet button..then its not detachable without the use of a tool and then you can have a flash hider and pistol grip...then it's legal

Bullet button ( BB )
10 rnd mag only
LEGAL

dracimus
05-13-2010, 1:20 PM
Ok if i modify it to make it legal (i.e. removing the flash supressor which it was stock with it, and add bullet button) bring into California... and try to register it and if DOJ think it's illegal what would happen? will i be arrested immedately or give me a period to get it out of calfornia...

what kind of registration process works?

Lone_Gunman
05-13-2010, 1:27 PM
adding the BB removes it from assault weapon status. You don't have to remove the flash hider. Long guns aren't registered in CA. All you have to do is add the bullet button. That's all. Imagine you have added the bullet button which makes it a non-detachable mag and you have a 10 round mag in and follow the flow chart.

A bullet button install takes all of 1 minute. Worth it to bring your rifle with you.

bwiese
05-13-2010, 1:35 PM
Ok if i modify it to make it legal (i.e. removing the flash supressor which it was stock with it, and add bullet button) bring into California... and try to register it and if DOJ think it's illegal what would happen? will i be arrested immedately or give me a period to get it out of calfornia...

what kind of registration process works?

DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER YOUR STAG WITH DOJ AS AN A.W.

IT ISN'T NEEDED, SINCE IT's NOT AN AW, AND IT MAY WELL TRIGGER DRAMA YOU DON'T WANT DUE TO CONFUSION.

YOUR RIFLE, PROPERLY CONFIGURED, IS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON.

DOJ Firearms Bureau WILL NOT REGISTER NEW AWs TO NEW OR EXISTING RESIDENTS
(EXCEPT FOR MILITARY FOLKS TRANSFERRED).

Contact with DOJ may well result in incorrect answers; the folks on the phone are clerks and are neither
gun folks nor that knowledgable about CA gun laws.

Ordinary long guns are not required to be registered when someone moves into CA.

Your Stag rifle, if equipped to not be an "assault weapon" is actually an ordinary semiauto rifle.

A 20" Stag rifle can be configured to be CA-legal in a couple of ways:
Either:
(1.) add a BulletButton maglock, and use 10rd (or less) magazines;
OR:
(2.) if it has a regular fixed stock ("A2" or "A1"), remove flash hider
and add a MonsterMan grip. This grip is not legally considerable as
a pistol grip, and thus your rifle has the same topology as a CA-legal
Mini14 or M1A, and can use detachable magazines.

Ensure your overall rifle length is at least 30".

ENSURE YOUR RIFLE IS NOT AN AW BEFORE IT ENTERS CALIFORNIA.

Do NOT bring in hicap mags to CA (unless perchance you actually acquired or possesed them in CA before 1/1/2000; residency was not a requirement for this).

You are free to bring in your HK USP40c pistol, but don't bring in its hicap mags (same caveats as above for mags)

You have 60 days from establishing residency to file a "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report" (with $19 fee) to CA DOJ. This form is available from their website.

dracimus
05-13-2010, 2:00 PM
DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER YOUR STAG WITH DOJ AS AN A.W.

IT ISN'T NEEDED, SINCE IT's NOT AN AW, AND IT MAY WELL TRIGGER DRAMA YOU DON'T WANT DUE TO CONFUSION.

YOUR RIFLE, PROPERLY CONFIGURED, IS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON.

DOJ Firearms Bureau WILL NOT REGISTER NEW AWs TO NEW OR EXISTING RESIDENTS
(EXCEPT FOR MILITARY FOLKS TRANSFERRED).

Contact with DOJ may well result in incorrect answers; the folks on the phone are clerks and are neither
gun folks nor that knowledgable about CA gun laws.

Ordinary long guns are not required to be registered when someone moves into CA.

Your Stag rifle, if equipped to not be an "assault weapon" is actually an ordinary semiauto rifle.

A 20" Stag rifle can be configured to be CA-legal in a couple of ways:
Either:
(1.) add a BulletButton maglock, and use 10rd (or less) magazines;
OR:
(2.) if it has a regular fixed stock ("A2" or "A1"), remove flash hider
and add a MonsterMan grip. This grip is not legally considerable as
a pistol grip, and thus your rifle has the same topology as a CA-legal
Mini14 or M1A, and can use detachable magazines.

Ensure your overall rifle length is at least 30".

ENSURE YOUR RIFLE IS NOT AN AW BEFORE IT ENTERS CALIFORNIA.

Do NOT bring in hicap mags to CA (unless perchance you actually acquired or possesed them in CA before 1/1/2000; residency was not a requirement for this).

You are free to bring in your HK USP40c pistol, but don't bring in its hicap mags (same caveats as above for mags)

You have 60 days from establishing residency to file a "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report" (with $19 fee) to CA DOJ. This form is available from their website.

Ill go for number 1 for Bullet button and 10 rds mag.

thanks for great advice.

todd2968
05-13-2010, 2:14 PM
You can also convert those 30 rounders to 10 rounder with a 5$ piece and some kind of adhesive.

Wherryj
05-13-2010, 2:20 PM
Welcome to California.....on a good side..you won't have to shovel snow anymore and if you want snow..it's about an hour or two away

Which is worse, shovelling snow or shovelling the BS that CA politicians spew about so freely?

Ed_in_Sac
05-13-2010, 2:28 PM
Understand the economic need of a job, but you should understand that CA is the most restrictive State on gun ownership. Our politicians are continually bending over and grabbing their ankles to let the sun shine on their hind parts to impress the "Brady Bunch." I think Sac and SF are the worst local governments for gun ownership, I live in SAC...ugggghhhh!

Wherryj
05-13-2010, 5:32 PM
Probably off topic, but I just saw this posted on another forum.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/anything-goes/78747-craigslist-personals-ad.html

gbp
05-13-2010, 6:02 PM
welcome
we need all the help we can get

383green
05-13-2010, 7:19 PM
To the original poster: Welcome to CA if you end up relocating here! While this is one of the most restrictive states with respect to firearms rights, it's also one of the front lines for the battle to regain those rights. You can do a lot of good here for everybody in the country. And the weather's pretty nice most of the time!

Bwiese's advice above is the most accurate and complete single post in this thread. You've come to the best place available to learn about CA gun laws and rights, and bwiese is one of the best people to listen to carefully here. There are many approaches to configuring an AR-style rifle to be legal in CA, and the flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf) makes it much easier to understand our silly, complicated assault weapon laws.

Regarding your magazines which hold over 10 rounds, my personal suggestion is to store them outside CA until we manage to overturn our absurd magazine capacity restriction laws, and get some new 10-rounders to use here in the mean time. Permanently modifying them to hold only 10 rounds before bringing them into the state is also an option, but my personal preference would be to leave them intact and get some new 10-rounders for use in CA. I use the Bushmaster brand 10-round magazines in my bullet-button ARs, and there are many other fine brands, too. Some are even made to look like 30-rounders but only hold 10 rounds, if that happens to appeal to you.

OleCuss
05-13-2010, 8:07 PM
Probably off topic, but I just saw this posted on another forum.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/anything-goes/78747-craigslist-personals-ad.html

Rather entertaining, but unless clearly marked as a fiction/joke the person claiming to have been in that incident would have to be an utter idiot to post that kind of thing.

Admitting to multiple crimes which you committed in response to the other guy's crimes just doesn't seem too bright.

thebronze
05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I am in possiblity to get a new Job in Sac, California.

I am currently resident of Illinois and I own a StagArm AR15 Model 4, 20 inch HBAR AR15 rifle with Knight Armamanet Corp quad handguard.

question is this legal for me to move with me?

also HK USP Compact .40. what should I be aware of the California law relate to that firearm.

I have read about Assault weapon ban. too much details for me to understand though.

Thanks in advance
Dracimus

Don't do it. You've been warned...