PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Spot Exchange

r3dn3ck
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
With the last few thousand threads about where can you hunt and all the problems with broadcasting and ruining good spots, I think I have a solution: A simple exchange.

Here's the plan:

You can post the localities of the places you know. Some town nearby is fine. DO NOT POST the name of the exact place. This should be enough to get within 30miles or so of the target but not much closer.

If you have a place to hunt to share and want a place to hunt, then you can PM whoever has a spot listed in the area you'd like to try. When you PM them you have to come to an agreement about an information exchange with them. You give your list and what they have on their list that you want. If you both agree, then you trade info for 1 spot.

You have to keep the spots to yourselves and you may not publicly post them anywhere. That will retain our semi-private nature while helping out people that are willing to be responsible about it.

When you tell someone your spot and they tell you theirs you've both decided that your spot can handle 2 extra hunters visiting once a year.

You may not sell the information. Anyone offering to do so should be reported in this thread as being a no-good-nick.

All shares must be on public land that's accessible without breaking any trespass laws.
All shares must include species that the area is best for. Not just what's there. What it's BEST for.

Thoughts?

I'd start with mine:

I have primo hunting spots within an hour drive of the following:
Weaverville/Hayfork - Deer, Bear, Turkey, Quail, Coyote
Firebaugh/Pacines - Duck, Deer, Quail, Dove
Lodi/Sacramento - Duck, Deer, Quail, Dove, Pheasant
Sonora/Tahoe - Deer, Bear, Quail, Dove

EDITED: Took all your good ideas and added them. Now, we're a' cookin.

PatriotnMore
05-13-2010, 11:28 AM
It's an interesting concept...would require that a mans/womans word is solid as a rock, and the problem is, a promise is only as good as the person giving it.

I would also suggest there be a reference as to what game is really hunt able/good in the area, not just species that can be found, most people are looking to hunt something specific, with a reasonable chance of success. Also, this should be public land unless specified.

I'll have to give it some thought, but I like the concept. I just see problems when you add, "trust me" to the equation.

Deluhathol
05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I think it would also be good to include what type of game your spots are good for. For example:

Redbluff - Turkey
Redding - Pig/Deer

theseacow
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
within 10 minutes of downtown san jose - huge fatties (hogs)

GVOllie
05-13-2010, 1:02 PM

Bars don't count!

rumblebee
05-13-2010, 2:38 PM
or Lane Bryant's!!!! :p sorry....back on topic!

Bars don't count!

lewdogg21
05-13-2010, 8:27 PM
Bars don't count!

Why do you think his username is "the sea cow" without spaces?

He likes em plump. :D

To the OP this is a great idea.

sickboy774
05-13-2010, 9:39 PM
It's an interesting concept...would require that a mans/womans word is solid as a rock, and the problem is, a promise is only as good as the person giving it.

I would also suggest there be a reference as to what game is really hunt able/good in the area, not just species that can be found, most people are looking to hunt something specific, with a reasonable chance of success. Also, this should be public land unless specified.

I'll have to give it some thought, but I like the concept. I just see problems when you add, "trust me" to the equation.

I would go one step further and add the zone, if applicable, and the method of take. So if you are recommending a spot in zone A you can also state if you are talking about archery season or general season etc.

ko1featherweigh
05-14-2010, 2:48 AM
I don’t have much as I just started hunting but ill add mine in

Lianada-coyote, ground squirrel, quail/chucker.

theseacow
05-15-2010, 5:23 PM
Why do you think his username is "the sea cow" without spaces?

He likes em plump. :D

To the OP this is a great idea.

:piggy::kiss:

Mac
05-15-2010, 8:30 PM
OK here is my Secret spot. chaparral and oak woodland. Big area huh. You guys crack me up with all this Secret spot Bologna. You can get DFG zone maps - right. You know Deer sign or should. Know what they eat, dirnk, where they bed down together. what their pattern and range is (top sentence) - right.

If you do not then get out there and find it. It's right in front of you. i dunno just my .02.

let me give you the GPS coord. - just kidding. :)
those honey holes come up dry more often than not.
Here is another clue. A lot of Hunters know them already. so it is not a Secret.

bridgeport
05-15-2010, 10:56 PM
OK here is my Secret spot. chaparral and oak woodland. Big area huh. You guys crack me up with all this Secret spot Bologna. You can get DFG zone maps - right. You know Deer sign or should. Know what they eat, dirnk, where they bed down together. what their pattern and range is (top sentence) - right.

If you do not then get out there and find it. It's right in front of you. i dunno just my .02.

let me give you the GPS coord. - just kidding. :)
those honey holes come up dry more often than not.
Here is another clue. A lot of Hunters know them already. so it is not a Secret.

Hey, If I put a guitar in your hands, you won't be able to play it like
Eddie VanHalen. I could put a rifle in a guys hand and tell them where I hunt, but that does not mean they will get anything either.
Still, I dont give away guitars.

r3dn3ck
05-16-2010, 9:17 AM
Hey mac... go pollute someone elses thread with your whining drivel. This is hunters cooperating not crapping all over each other. It's especially NOT failing to entirely get the point and proving your a farkin moron.

I have BLM maps of ALL of california and somehow that doesn't make 2 squirts of cold piss difference in me finding a good hunt spot. What does find a good one: GOING THERE. Now then, I've been to hundreds of places that were LEGAL but completely lifeless. Since it's a 2 hour drive to anywhere, I'd like to only go 1 place per day.

So mac, this isn't about "secret" spots it's about spots that are productive. It's not about sharing tips nobody else will ever find, it's about sharing spots that are easy to get to and it's about community. It's not about being a cawksucker or a jerk... so go start your own tread on how to be an asshat

Mac
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey mac... go pollute someone elses thread with your whining drivel. This is hunters cooperating not crapping all over each other. It's especially NOT failing to entirely get the point and proving your a farkin moron.

I have BLM maps of ALL of california and somehow that doesn't make 2 squirts of cold piss difference in me finding a good hunt spot. What does find a good one: GOING THERE. Now then, I've been to hundreds of places that were LEGAL but completely lifeless. Since it's a 2 hour drive to anywhere, I'd like to only go 1 place per day.

So mac, this isn't about "secret" spots it's about spots that are productive. It's not about sharing tips nobody else will ever find, it's about sharing spots that are easy to get to and it's about community. It's not about being a cawksucker or a jerk... so go start your own tread on how to be an asshat

No need to get all flustered there, Bub. Maybe I did miss the point. It happens. Re-reading your post you may have an idea. Maybe just getting grumpy at my age.

taperxz
05-16-2010, 4:55 PM
One place in California that has LOTS of game and you can carry a firearm, is Yosemite National Park. Good luck with your hunt!

r3dn3ck
05-17-2010, 9:41 AM
Another from the spontaneous jerk pile. Thanks taper, it's helpful when people show their true colors early in the interaction.

Mac: apologies render no repair. A change in behavior renders the benefit to all parties. That said. meh.

taperxz
05-17-2010, 2:03 PM
What can't take a joke? Geez Louise!! Listen, NO ONE is giving up their hunting spots!! Human beings just don't do that! It's about food. For as long as man has been in existence, we have fought wars over this. The indians fought each other over hunting grounds and there was plenty of game. What you are trying to ask for here just ain't gonna happen. I have been hunting for 35 years and have harvested 28 bucks in the last 15 years alone. The only person earning that honey pot is my kid and grandkids!! Hunting is about survival. Good hunters survive and bad hunters go hungry. It's just the way it is. Try spending less time on the computer and more time in the field and you to may find a great hunting spot. California has millions of places. Just not for people who road hunt. Get out and explore.

acourvil
05-17-2010, 3:10 PM
All shares must be on public land that's accessible without breaking any trespass laws.

I'm pretty sure this was just a good-natured tease, but if there is really a publicly accessible place to hunt near San Jose i would love to know where it is, fatties or not. Or if it's on private property and you ever just need someone to tag along, give me a call. :)

theseacow
05-17-2010, 3:14 PM
I'm pretty sure this was just a good-natured tease, but if there is really a publicly accessible place to hunt near San Jose i would love to know where it is, fatties or not. Or if it's on private property and you ever just need someone to tag along, give me a call. :)

its open to the public alright. you just need to be 21. its located on 2nd street between san fernando and santa clara st. Plenty of hogs running around there. Lemme know if you have any spots to exchange, and ill get you the exact address.

rumblebee
05-17-2010, 3:19 PM
we call that a "wingman" :D;)

ok...back on topic....again! :D

PatriotnMore
05-17-2010, 3:25 PM
I think he is referring to the Hogs found at your favorite watering hole.;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

ko1featherweigh
05-17-2010, 4:05 PM
I believe that some people are misreading what the actual topic is. No one is giving away any hunting spots. It is a matter of exchanging information through PM of hunting spots. You donít have to give up you honey holes, but you can offer a place where you know there is some kind of game in exchange for another location.

taperxz
05-17-2010, 4:07 PM
Look at his remark above mine though. I think this person just wants others to tell him where to hunt.

ko1featherweigh
05-17-2010, 4:11 PM
Look at his remark above mine though. I think this person just wants others to tell him where to hunt.

It could be, But i have PM'ed him before and he has helped me out, giving me tips and what to look out for.

Kestryll
05-17-2010, 4:42 PM
A change in behavior renders the benefit to all parties.
Good advice, I'd suggest you take it yourself or be banned from your own thread.

The 'jerk' comments and uncivil behavior need to stop now or your posting privileges will, your choice.

acourvil
05-17-2010, 5:52 PM
its open to the public alright. you just need to be 21. its located on 2nd street between san fernando and santa clara st. Plenty of hogs running around there. Lemme know if you have any spots to exchange, and ill get you the exact address.

O.k., got it :cheers2: I'm probably too old for that kind of hunting, and I would be terrified that I might see my daughter or one of her friends :rolleyes:

I was grasping at the remote possibility that there might actually be a small part of Santa Clara county open for hunting . . . .

theseacow
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
O.k., got it :cheers2: I'm probably too old for that kind of hunting, and I would be terrified that I might see my daughter or one of her friends :rolleyes:

I was grasping at the remote possibility that there might actually be a small part of Santa Clara county open for hunting . . . .

believe it or not there are ALOT of opportunities right here in san jose and all over santa clara county. you just got to meet the right people and do what it takes and network as much as you can. sadly, private land is rarely easy to get on.

joshua76
05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I do know a few places near east bay and west bay area. If you have some nearby spot to exchange or you like to be hunting partners (since I'm a newbie), please let me know.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-20-2010, 8:57 AM
I trade hunting all the time. If anyone needs some spots for coyotes or blacktail deer near LA county just hit me up.

ALLOUTIND
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I have been working with R3DN3CK on a spot... I am glad to see everyone working together on this.I use to hunt along time ago and just started up again.
Thanks for the info.,,

Just a heads up on shooting spot. I went to Panoche on sunday.
There is a bunch of info out there saying they have closed panoche area due to maintinence or fire season. This is true. But you can access it by foot.I talked to BLM
on thursday and they explained were to go.

I went out there and shot for about 4 hours.
Me , my wife and a freind also filled a Trash bag full of crap that was left by others.
One thing that we all need to be smarter about is the trash left behind.....
PM me for details on a spot for Pig,Deer,Bear. or shooting spot,
Thanks Pete