PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia cop intentionally shot himself, commissioner says

boxbro
05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/11/philadelphia.cop.shot.self/index.html
Link to video is in the article.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/CRIME/05/11/philadelphia.cop.shot.self/story.ralston.ppd.jpg

CNN) -- A Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, police officer who told authorities he was shot while on patrol last month has admitted he shot himself intentionally, the city's police commissioner said Tuesday.

Sgt. Robert Ralston, 46, confessed to police early Tuesday morning that he made up the story, possibly to a get attention or a transfer, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said in a news conference.

Ralston reported that on April 5 he saw two African-American males arguing on a train track in West Philadelphia. He told investigators that when he stopped the two men for questioning one of them pulled out a gun and shot him in the left shoulder.

His claim sparked a search for a phantom suspect.

Ramsey noted that there were many inconsistencies throughout the month-long investigation.

"The evidence never did match up. We have forensic evidence at the scene that did not match with the story," he said.

One example of inconsistent evidence was that the gunpowder residue found on Ralston's shirt matched the ammunition used by the police department, he said.

The commissioner said that Ralston, who is white, told police his attackers were black because the district where the shooting took place is predominately black.

"It's troubling in a lot of ways," Ramsey said. "It inflames racial tensions in our community, and that's certainly something we don't need."

Ralston, a 21-year veteran of the police force, will be made to pay the cost of the investigation that followed his report, and has been suspended with the intent to dismiss, Ramsey said.

He will not, however, face criminal charges because police granted him immunity to obtain his confession.

Why would they give him immunity ?
It's not as if he had information regarding a murder.
Seems a bit like something is rotten in Denmark.
What troubles me most is that if he isn't charged and convicted criminally, he can still own guns and it's painfully obvious he should be ineligible for life.

beerup949
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
What pisses me off is that Plexico Burress from the New York Giants can get 2 years in prison for accidently shooting himself in his own legg and this guy is just gonna get the boot. WTF shooting himself and then blaming it on other people to get a transfer?!?! This guy should be locked up for a while. Who are the police forces hiring???

a1c
05-13-2010, 10:39 AM
The Philadelphia PD is rotten to the core and has been undergoing major reform lately, following the exposure of many dirty cops from the Narcotics division who had been stealing from small business owners and having them charged on bull**** charges. Many of them ended up losing their businesses.

Read those stories (and watch the videos, including that of cops ransacking a store and destroying a video surveillance system in a grocery store) and it will make you sick:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/hot_topics/39874487.html

boxbro
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Who are the police forces hiring???

I want to know who granted immunity and what their reasoning was.
It seems as though they could be hiding something major.
Maybe they didn't want him to turn into a whistle blower.

beerup949
05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
This type of news is becoming way to freqent and I'm honestly sick of it.

greg36f
05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I want to know who granted immunity and what their reasoning was.
It seems as though they could be hiding something major.
Maybe they didn't want him to turn into a whistle blower.

Why not grant him immunity? Close the case and be done with it. The only real crime that I see is filing a false police report. What is he gonna get for that?

The only "victim" was the city and that was because they had to pay to investigate this BS.

Fire the guy, close the case and make him pay for the expenses of the investigation.

Best for all that way.

Steyrlp10
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM
What a waste to a LEO career.

boxbro
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Why not grant him immunity?

Because there is no need and or benefit to.
Question is, why grant him immunity ?

Close the case and be done with it.

Why ?
He should at least be tried.

The only real crime that I see is filing a false police report. What is he gonna get for that?

Who cares what he's gonna get, the decision to prosecute should not be swayed by what he may or may not get.
He should be prosecuted because that's the right thing to do.
You are suggesting that the penalty for conviction is too lenient.
That doesn't convince me that no penalty at all is somehow a better alternative.

The only "victim" was the city and that was because they had to pay to investigate this BS.

Or it could have been someone that might have been wrongly accused, arrested, and possibly even convicted.
What about the fact that he will be allowed to own firearms ?
What if somewhere down the line this guy kills someone ?
If he shot himself with the thought that he might gain something from it, imagine what he might do to someone else for the same reason.
He should be prohibited for life.

Fire the guy, close the case and make him pay for the expenses of the investigation.

I prefer fire the guy, prosecute him, close the case and make him pay for the expenses of the investigation.

Best for all that way.

I disagree.
The only person it's best for is the officer.
It's certainly not best for the people and or for justice.

adamsreeftank
05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
LEOs should be held to a higher standard. An LEO who files a false police report should receive at least the same treatment as anyone else.