PDA

View Full Version : cmmg A1 stock?

Blacktail 8541
05-13-2010, 8:37 AM
Anyone have any experience with these?

Are the materials used to make them the same as A2 stocks, or are they like the Cav Arms A1 stocks?

Thanks

SoCalDep
05-13-2010, 6:59 PM
I'm thinking of picking one up myself so bump for a good question!

E-120
05-14-2010, 6:17 PM
Want to know as well.

DREADNOUGHT78
05-14-2010, 6:21 PM
Wes at 10% Firearms seems to have them in stock maybe he would know? Add says they have a nicer finish as apposed to the A2. Also RifleGear has them as well.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=554

westsiderippa
05-14-2010, 7:23 PM
i would like to change out my a2 to one of these on my featureless build. anyone actually have one to comment on quality, pics?

SoCalDep
05-14-2010, 7:34 PM
I just purchased one today. Not sure what I think yet but a little disappointed. The stock itself seems "plastic-y", it has a little play back and forth (maybe a 16th of an inch, but it's a little annoying) and the butt-plate is rubber, not steel like a real A1 stock. It's alright for now, but I think I'll just pick up something else later. I'll be shooting it on Wed and that'll give me a better Idea what I think.

Toast
05-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I've heard the best ones to get are from Fulton Armory. They have the Cav arm's ones but install a metal buttplate with a trapdoor.

richrmi
05-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I didn't see the CMMG A1 at RifleGear before I ordered one from Fulton Armory. The FA A1 is a bit more "plastic-y" than the White Oak, mil-spec A2 stock it replaced but about the same as the Armalite A2 stock. The mil-spec stocks have a much different finish; a bit rougher or more textured surface that looks like a spray on coating of some kind.

The FA product may very well be the Cav Arms manufactured A1 because the rear sling mount cutout is identical. While the butt plate is plastic, the trap door on the FA A1 is steel. I'd like to compare the FA A1 to the CMMG part someday.

I switched out an A2 with a slightly shorter A1 on a Noveske N6 to decrease the LOP on an AR-10 and improve the sight picture. With the A1 installed, the measured LOP is now nearly identical to that of a standard .223 AR equipped with an A2. For the life of me I just could not get into the same sighting position with the AR-10 as I did with a standard AR until the A1 was installed. The rounded butt plate edges are also a plus with the heavier recoil of the .308 Win round.

You didn't mention why you'd like to go with an A1.

Rich

Ruiner
05-15-2010, 12:13 AM
From the looks of it, its just the Cavalry Arms C1 stock rebranded. Get one from Fulton Armory and it comes with a nice buttplate with a metal trapdoor. I have one on my A4 style rifle and it does nicely. Not as nice as a Colt CS stock, but good luck finding one of those.

Blacktail 8541
05-16-2010, 6:39 AM
You didn't mention why you'd like to go with an A1.

Rich

I have had A1 stocks on a couple of rifles. I currently have one installed on my varmit build. They suit my needs for the builds I use them on plain and simple. While I do use collapsable on some builds, I am not a slave to them.

Flogger23m
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I just purchased one today. Not sure what I think yet but a little disappointed. The stock itself seems "plastic-y", it has a little play back and forth (maybe a 16th of an inch, but it's a little annoying) and the butt-plate is rubber, not steel like a real A1 stock. It's alright for now, but I think I'll just pick up something else later. I'll be shooting it on Wed and that'll give me a better Idea what I think.

Real A1s have a steel butt plate? My Cav arms A1 doesn't...

Fate
05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Real A1s have a steel butt plate? My Cav arms A1 doesn't...

No they don't. They only have a steel trapdoor. Not sure what that poster was referencing, but it isn't a USGI A1.

SoCalDep
05-16-2010, 1:34 PM
You're right...I just checked and our M16A1s at work do indeed have a plastic or bakelite type buttplate. The trapdoor is metal. The CMMG is all rubber, plate and door, and not nearly as solid.

Blacktail 8541
05-16-2010, 2:59 PM
You're right...I just checked and our M16A1s at work do indeed have a plastic or bakelite type buttplate. The trapdoor is metal. The CMMG is all rubber, plate and door, and not nearly as solid.

The last part of your response satifies my curiosity enough that I will get an another original A1 butt stock.