PDA

View Full Version : Latest Rasmussen Gun Control Poll

sholling
05-13-2010, 7:54 AM
I thought some might find this report interesting. For those not familiar with Rasmussen Reports they have a history of being one of the most accurate public opinion analysis companies. To me what this report shows is that if we want more public support for shall issue CCW then we really need to work on introducing non-shooting friends and family to shooting and we need to do it in supportive ways. That may mean taking an ambivalent significant other to a very supportive beginner class with us. That may mean taking non-shooting friends and their significant others to an Appleseed shoot. That may mean getting buddies addicted to trap shooting. The bottom line is that statistics show that getting people comfortable with shooting increases their comfort with others CCWing.

Most Americans are not concerned about their safety around those who have legal permits to carry concealed weapons but have mixed feelings about laws that would allow gun owners to wear their weapons openly in public.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 41% of Adults are at least somewhat concerned about their safety in the presence of those who have “concealed carry” gun permits. Fifty-eight percent (58%) don’t share that concern.

But 47% oppose so-called “open carry” laws that would allow citizens to openly wear their guns in public. Forty-one percent (41%) favor laws. Several states are currently wrestling with this issue.

In households with a gun owner, support for “open carry” laws rises to 57%. In households where no gun is present, 62% oppose them.

Similarly, 55% of those in non-gun-owning households are concerned about their safety around those who have legal permits to carry concealed weapons. Just 27% of those who have a gun owner in their household express similar concern.
More (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/47_oppose_open_carry_gun_laws_41_favor)

Uriah02
05-13-2010, 7:56 AM
interesting

CCWFacts
05-13-2010, 8:08 AM
In other polling news, the Republican party is winning back supporters (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704247904575240812672173820.html?m od=rss_com_mostcommentart):

Republicans have solidified support among voters who had drifted from the party in recent elections, putting the GOP in position for a strong comeback in November's mid-term campaign, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.

I don't know if the Republicans can take back the Senate, but we just need a few more votes in there to get national CCW reciprocity, which, I believe, will be doom of gun control efforts in this country.

GrizzlyGuy
05-13-2010, 8:34 AM
This can't be right, but access to the crosstabs is restricted, so I can't confirm:

In households with a gun owner, support for “open carry” laws rises to 57%. In households where no gun is present, 62% oppose them.

This says that people who own guns are more likely to support laws restricting their carry. I suspect that is a botch in the article. It probably should read that those people support open carry (not the laws) or are opposed to open carry laws.

kf6tac
05-13-2010, 8:44 AM
This can't be right, but access to the crosstabs is restricted, so I can't confirm:

This says that people who own guns are more likely to support laws restricting their carry. I suspect that is a botch in the article. It probably should read that those people support open carry (not the laws) or are opposed to open carry laws.

Note that everything in the article refers to support for laws that allow open carry; thus, in the context of the article, "open carry laws" = laws legalizing open carry.

Glock22Fan
05-13-2010, 8:47 AM

It is convoluted and confused because they are talking about laws which permit open carry, not ban it.

We know that we should not need laws that allow us to do this, apparently they don't.

calixt0
05-13-2010, 9:23 AM

not all states are out there to take away the peoples rights like California is. I have a friend in OK who was just talking about their open carry legislation and i went off and started out disgusting it is etc etc. He then clarified that the bill would make it legal where it isn't now. This may shed some light on why those in homes where guns are present support open carry legislation, which is to say they support open carry.

OleCuss
05-13-2010, 9:48 AM

I think y'all mis-read this (or maybe I'm misunderstanding?): "In households with a gun owner, support for “open carry” laws rises to 57%. In households where no gun is present, 62% oppose them."

Let me paraphrase this. 57% of gun-owning household support "open carry". Only 38% (maximum) of non-gun-owning households support "open carry".

Note that the non-gun-owning household support is probably lower than 38% as it is likely that some of the 38% is "no opinion" or something similar so their support might be something like 20% (massively speculating at this point).

sholling
05-13-2010, 9:51 AM
I think the bottom line is that we need to avoid the in-your-face stuff (for now) and get non-gun people out shooting in supportive environments. Pink Pistols in the GLBT community, female members doing girls night out at the range with non-shooters, male members being more supportive and inclusive with wives and girlfriends.

stitchnicklas
05-13-2010, 9:53 AM
i always ask others to go with me shooting,i tell them i have the gun and ammo lets go..........

Pixs
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Folks,

Polls are specifically designed to get the results that the pollsters want to get. The entire point is to keep the pollsters in business. The psychological effect of the poll just leads the sheeple in a predetermined direction.

Rest to all,

Pixs

Glock22Fan
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Folks,

Polls are specifically designed to get the results that the pollsters want to get. The entire point is to keep the pollsters in business. The psychological effect of the poll just leads the sheeple in a predetermined direction.

Rest to all,

Pixs

Whereas you are undoubtedly correct in general, this poll is considered to be more professional, more reliable and less biased than many others.

cmaynes
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Open Carry is something that should be used for leverage to attain concealled carry- Open carry implies an emminent threat- though the Sheep Dogs ALWAYS know that threat is there, the Sheep are unravelled by the idea- the safest scenario is rational and attainable CCW for those willing to step up to its responsiblity.

sholling
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Folks,

Rest to all,

Pixs

You obviously know nothing about Rasmussen Reports. They publish the questions and raw results so that there can be no question of a push poll. It's their reputation for accuracy that keeps them in business.

FirstFlight
05-13-2010, 2:56 PM
You obviously know nothing about Rasmussen Reports. They publish the questions and raw results so that there can be no question of a push poll. It's their reputation for accuracy that keeps them in business.

You are correct. Rasmussen polls are so historically accurate every one from the President on down tracks them daily.

jamesob
05-13-2010, 4:54 PM
lol, 41% are concearned about people carrying concealed? how the hell they know they are ccw?

Barabas
05-13-2010, 5:11 PM
When did writing laws to make things legal become acceptable? Laws are for limiting behavior, not allowing it. If you want to allow an activity, eliminate all references to it in the code. I know it's hard, but it's the only proper way to do it.

NightOwl
05-14-2010, 3:54 PM
Open Carry is something that should be used for leverage to attain concealled carry- Open carry implies an emminent threat- though the Sheep Dogs ALWAYS know that threat is there, the Sheep are unravelled by the idea- the safest scenario is rational and attainable CCW for those willing to step up to its responsiblity.

I couldn't disagree more wholeheartedly. OC and CC both work hand in hand. Some people prefer one or the other, yet both together are where greater safety is for people. OC is the reminder that people see, so people don't forget that law abiding citizens can (and, imo, should) be armed and that there's CC out there too.

I lived in Idaho for several years, where OC is legal (without the CA nonsense). It's a whole different world. I prefer OC all the time, as long as it's real OC, not unloaded, not put it away/take it out like CA has. But that's just me, I'm partial to the deterrent value of it. YMMV.

OleCuss
05-14-2010, 4:00 PM
I agree that Loaded Open Carry is desirable. Faster response time can be valuable - especially if one is talking response to wildlife.

I think that in cities I'd generally prefer concealed carry because it denies intel to the bad guys.

Upshot is that people should be able to choose their style of carry as well as the caliber , magazine, etc.

CC is more likely achievable in the near term, however.

GrizzlyGuy
05-15-2010, 8:44 AM
Note that everything in the article refers to support for laws that allow open carry; thus, in the context of the article, "open carry laws" = laws legalizing open carry.

Ahhhh... you guys are right. My bad. Their poll question:

A number of states have passed or are considering laws that would allow citizens to openly wear their guns in public. Do you favor or oppose so-called “open carry” laws?

I think I would have asked a different question as most people know that laws are generally designed to prohibit behaviors (as Barabas pointed out), not permit them.