PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii to block gun seizures in emergencies

vantec08
05-13-2010, 7:55 AM
It takes a SPECIAL law to do what the 2nd already does??

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12326819

HONOLULU (AP) - A bill preventing the government from seizing legal firearms during an emergency has been passed by the Hawaii Legislature.

The full Senate voted 21-0 Friday to approve the measure after it already passed the House.

The proposal prohibits the seizure of firearms or ammunition when the government invokes emergency powers during a disaster.

It gained momentum after February's tsunami warning, when lawmakers said their constituents asked if their weapons could be taken in an emergency situation.

Gun-rights activists have pursued this kind of law since Hurricane Katrina, when New Orleans police confiscated guns in an attempt to restore order.

The bill now advances to Governor Linda Lingle.

Glock22Fan
05-13-2010, 8:08 AM
I thought we already had a federal law about this, passed since Katrina? Why do they need a state law too?

loather
05-13-2010, 8:18 AM
I thought we already had a federal law about this, passed since Katrina? Why do they need a state law too?

For the same reason medicinal marijuana is "legal" in California: the state police are under no obligation to respect federal law.

GrizzlyGuy
05-13-2010, 8:19 AM
State power is not yet constrained by 2A so having a state law like that is a good thing. We already have one (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3453413&postcount=12).

vantec08
05-13-2010, 8:38 AM
Recent actions by Arizona and Hawaii (with other states to follow) indicates to me that the country is catching on that the federal government has FAILED.

destro360
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Recent actions by Arizona and Hawaii (with other states to follow) indicates to me that the country is catching on that the federal government has FAILED.

im really liking some of the current changes going on too just wishing it all would pick up more momentum and more people would get educated. some of these actions actually make me consider turning my flag right side up again.....;)

Maestro Pistolero
05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
This is good news, because it reflects shifting attitudes in a historically anti-gun state. I just spent a month working on the Big Island, and I took my Ruger LCP, and SA XD45C with me. The police station in Wailua happily registered them for me, and in 45 minutes, I was out the door, and compliant with HI state law. They were courteous, efficient, and polite about it, too.

The officer who fingerprinted me seemed very pro 2A. We discussed recent and forthcoming SCOTUS decisions and the new constitutional carry in AZ, and both agreed that it's not the guns but the person wielding them that can be a problem.

Good for you, Hawaii, Aloha.

Glock22Fan
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
For the same reason medicinal marijuana is "legal" in California: the state police are under no obligation to respect federal law.

Then what is the point in the Federal law? Passed, if I recall, so Katrina type confiscations would be no longer legal?

Did the Clinton AW ban allow police in Alaska or Nevada (say) to ignore that?

What would happen if California passed a law saying "To heck with the Federal law, we are going to confiscate all weapons when there's another earthquake?"

Would SCOTUS have to get involved?

Just asking.

FirstFlight
05-13-2010, 3:32 PM
It seems to me the people of Hawaii have never forgotten that on December 7, 1941, when Japanese aircraft made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor Hawaii, the Governor of Hawaii, not knowing if Japanese troops would be invading the Hawaiian Islands, or not, got on broadcast radio and requested all citizens of Hawaii, with guns, to go to their nearest beach and fight off any invasion, if necessary. The people did go to the beaches, with their guns, but fortunately didn't have to fire a shot.

A great example of why the 2nd amendment of the Constitution was written!