PDA

View Full Version : Gun store gets with the program

X-NewYawker
05-12-2010, 8:36 PM
In a shocking turnaround, Martin B. Retting's in Culver City, who wouldn't even order me a bullet BUTTON a year ago because it was "illegal" has been satisfied enough by recent rulings to now offer a full line of BB installed guns -- I thought I was in an airsoft store when I walked in there today and saw a piston MRP LMT, SIG 556s, OD and Black MSARs, and a SCAR-L!
And the prices seemed right -- $2600 for the SCAR, $1355 for the MSAR with SIX magazines -- $2K for the LMT piston gun -- I am glad to see they have finally got with the picture. With three M1As and the full line of Ed Brown and Kimber and HS tactical rifles, they have quite a lot of interest to us guys in there now!

Do I want a green AUG again...?

Paratus et Vigilans
05-12-2010, 8:44 PM
Better late than never! Nice to know that the ossification at Martin B. Retting's has reversed itself. Maybe it had something to do with missing out on all that EBR revenue? :)

CHS
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm curious as to what "rulings" they are being satisfied by, since there haven't been any rulings at all in quite some time. In fact, the DOJ has pretty much given up on the issue.

It's probably more a case of losing profits.

Rob454
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I

More than just probably. Its funny how all of the sudden they realized OH wow we CAN make money on these evil black rifles. Lets start selling them. I wonder what BS excuse are they making up to people now? Im sure they probably got special permission from DOJ to sell these rifles. I refuse to spend any money there and whenever someone asks me about them I basically send them to anywhere but there. Im not a hateful person but those guys suck monkey balls.

69Mach1
05-12-2010, 10:50 PM
It had to be the "Turners effect". The timing was just about right.

Paratus et Vigilans
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
More than just probably. Its funny how all of the sudden they realized OH wow we CAN make money on these evil black rifles. Lets start selling them. I wonder what BS excuse are they making up to people now? Im sure they probably got special permission from DOJ to sell these rifles. I refuse to spend any money there and whenever someone asks me about them I basically send them to anywhere but there. Im not a hateful person but those guys suck monkey balls.

The monkeys say, "Leave us out of it!" :D

LloydXmas250
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
They probably were an anti-EBR gunstore realizing that they need to jump on the ship before it leaves. That's where the money is now-a-days. My local shop just went belly-up because he was loosing his business to black rifle shops. He refused to carry any at all and people went elsewhere. At least they're getting the picture before they go out of business.

Ford8N
05-13-2010, 4:39 AM
Ha, this is a funny topic. I know of a shop that swore up and down the anyone selling or buying an EBR "was going to jail!" They would even give a person the stink eye for even asking about EBR's. Last time I went in there they had a couple of EBR's on the wall. I totally salute all those FFL's who knew the law and didn't drink the Kool-Aid the DOJ was giving:bofud:.

gunRfun
05-13-2010, 5:10 AM
I totally salute all those FFL's who knew the law and didn't drink the Kool-Aid the DOJ was giving:bofud:.

+1

Now the outcome of FFL's Dealers knowing all their laws can be a very very good thing. =)

PatriotnMore
05-13-2010, 5:41 AM

^^^This^^^

It just goes to show you, cash is king, and people will change their tune when the people with the king in their pocket vote with their feet, and take their business somewhere else.

Nerfherder
05-13-2010, 6:00 AM
I actually said to one of the Retting employees a months ago, "When I asked you guys about bullet buttons and OLL's a few years ago, you guys swore up and down that I was going to go to jail because of them." He replied that they've recently had "compelling" arguments about why they felt safe to sell them.

I'm guessing that argument is called a profit :)

But hey, like a previous poster said, better late than never. Its capitalism. In the past they chose to drink the DOJ kool aid, and people chose not to support them. If they make a profit now because their new outlook, good for them. The way I see it, the more stores that sell OLLs and BB rifles, the better it is for all of us.

reidnez
05-13-2010, 6:06 AM
It's a slow process, but it's good to see more vendors coming around--and also more out-of-state FFL's who are willing to ship to us.

Still, as to Turner's: they refused to PPT my bone-stock Saiga only about a month ago (the clerk cited 'corporate policy'), so they definitely still have some kinks to work out!

tenpercentfirearms
05-13-2010, 6:13 AM
I kind of liked it more when I was one of the few.

Nerfherder
05-13-2010, 6:23 AM

Don't worry, we'll remember who was there in the beginning. :)

NewGunner
05-13-2010, 7:07 AM
wonder what changed? only a couple months ago they told me all "AR" types are illegal, but i could buy a top loading bushmaster from them. needless to say I went home and found Calguns. Since then I have maxed out my credit card and spent all my cash at other stores like riflegear. Because of that, and the fact the Rettings is usually more expensive on everything, I will never buy anything from them. Actually, I did give them a chance to meet the price of an m&p 9 but they would not discount the $30 to match turners, so I found one and saved $130 compared to their prices.

reidnez
05-13-2010, 7:26 AM
wonder what changed? only a couple months ago they told me all "AR" types are illegal, but i could buy a top loading bushmaster from them. needless to say I went home and found Calguns. Since then I have maxed out my credit card and spent all my cash at other stores like riflegear. Because of that, and the fact the Rettings is usually more expensive on everything, I will never buy anything from them. Actually, I did give them a chance to meet the price of an m&p 9 but they would not discount the $30 to match turners, so I found one and saved $130 compared to their prices.

Most of us are the same way: our loyalty is to the first vendor(s) we found who stocked what we liked and had good customer service. Whenever I want an AR part I check CG first, then Riflegear, and only then somewhere else.

These formerly BOF-FUD-spreading dealers will attract some people who are new to AR's, but most of us who have been buying the stuff for a while already have our preferred vendors. It's not so much that I wouldn't buy from them on principle, rather that I wouldn't buy from them because I have no reason to.

CHS
05-13-2010, 8:02 AM
It's not so much that I wouldn't buy from them on principle, rather that I wouldn't buy from them because I have no reason to.

Hahahaha, quoted for truth.

Apathy is sometimes the best route :)

civilsnake
05-13-2010, 8:03 AM

It's tough that you're kinda out of the way for a lot of people.

bomb_on_bus
05-13-2010, 8:19 AM
It's tough that you're kinda out of the way for a lot of people.

Fedex and UPS helps out with that department;)

tiger222
05-13-2010, 9:50 AM
Ah the good old 1980's - take two.... I got go just to see this !! Good for them, very very late to the game though... But they are close by.

motorhead
05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
do i hear brave sir robin's theme song playing?

X-NewYawker
05-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Uh, that sounds pretty hateful. Why? Because they wouldn't sell OLLs til now? They have always treated me and my buddies fairly, been willing to negotiate to some degree and had a good selection of CA legal iron and cool WWi and II stuff.

Turners just started selling BB guns too -- do you hate them as well?

windrider
05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I hate that store, a lot of the workers are arses to me for no reason especially one guy (maybe because im under 127 years old) every time I go in there it takes 30 min just to have someone ring me up for some ammo, that type of store is a dying breed. If you want black rifle stuff spend a extra 30 or 45 min and travel to rifle gear, hell i live up the street from martin and I dont go there anymore

reidnez
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
/\ /\ /\

Or just order online. With all the stores stocking different stuff, for me it's easier to find a specific part that way rather than calling and driving around. I do still want to make it to RG one day though, I've bought probably $2k worth of stuff through them but never seen the store.

stix213
05-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Uh, that sounds pretty hateful. Why? Because they wouldn't sell OLLs til now? They have always treated me and my buddies fairly, been willing to negotiate to some degree and had a good selection of CA legal iron and cool WWi and II stuff.

The point isn't that they wouldn't sell them, but more that they were spreading FUD about how everyone involved with selling and buying them is going to jail for sure even recently.

Then suddenly they start stocking their shelves with the same items they railed against when their bank account needed help. :confused:

ke6guj
05-13-2010, 1:00 PM
Turners just started selling BB guns too -- do you hate them as well?Turner's is a different situation. Untill the last year or so, they were under different ownership. Once the new owners took over, they have been getting more and more comfortable with the off-list movement. They went from no off-list stuff to off-list stuff with "extra fixed" mag locks to now, with explaination from CGF, to bullet button configured items. All of this within a year of buying the company. Yes, they aren't all the way there (such as PPT issues some people are having), but they are getting there.

That is different than a store that has been around forever, and that has been telling us that we are all going to jail, and now, all of a sudden, changes its position 180* and claims some "recent ruling" makes it ok.

usctrojan
05-13-2010, 1:04 PM
Already in this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289903

usctrojan
05-13-2010, 1:06 PM
I called about a month ago asking for just an OLL and they were selling anything but CMMG at that time. Based on the original post they are opening up.

X-NewYawker
05-13-2010, 1:35 PM
Turner's is a different situation. Untill the last year or so, they were under different ownership. Once the new owners took over, they have been getting more and more comfortable with the off-list movement. They went from no off-list stuff to off-list stuff with "extra fixed" mag locks to now, with explaination from CGF, to bullet button configured items. All of this within a year of buying the company. Yes, they aren't all the way there (such as PPT issues some people are having), but they are getting there.

That is different than a store that has been around forever, and that has been telling us that we are all going to jail, and now, all of a sudden, changes its position 180* and claims some "recent ruling" makes it ok.

One of the reasons Rettings didn't sell OLLs is because they are very close to not so nice neighborhoods. Let's face it, you sell an OLL to a guy who goes home, puts a 30 rounder in the mag well and gets caught in a drive by or at the range and he's charged with "manufacturing an AW' and the for question they're going to ask is "where's he get the gun?"
Turners and Rettings have seen enough gunshops sell OLLs and NOT go to jail to think it may be okay.
I know the owners of Rettings very well and they knew about the OLL movement, only they didn't want to take the risk of losing a store that's been there for fifty years because of a stupid customer.

Now, if they think the coast is clear, or if they feel they're losing money (they should have started during the Post election boom is that was their only motivation) what is the difference? I see words like "anger" and ":loyalty" in this thread -- we got a couple more places to buy OLLs -- Jesus lets not be petty about it!

chickenfried
05-13-2010, 1:38 PM
Just curious. Why would you try to order a bullet button through retting instead of ordering it yourself?

ke6guj
05-13-2010, 1:44 PM
One of the reasons Rettings didn't sell OLLs is because they are very close to not so nice neighborhoods. Let's face it, you sell an OLL to a guy who goes home, puts a 30 rounder in the mag well and gets caught in a drive by or at the range and he's charged with "manufacturing an AW' and the for question they're going to ask is "where's he get the gun?"
Turners and Rettings have seen enough gunshops sell OLLs and NOT go to jail to think it may be okay.
I know the owners of Rettings very well and they knew about the OLL movement, only they didn't want to take the risk of losing a store that's been there for fifty years because of a stupid customer.

Now, if they think the coast is clear, or if they feel they're losing money (they should have started during the Post election boom is that was their only motivation) what is the difference? I see words like "anger" and ":loyalty" in this thread -- we got a couple more places to buy OLLs -- Jesus lets not be petty about it!

and thats fine if they don't want to take that chance, just don't FUD us with BS, telling us we are going to jail, etc. Just explain that even though they may be legal, that they don't wish to deal in that type of firearm. Don't lie about your reasons.

Rob454
05-13-2010, 2:29 PM
The monkeys say, "Leave us out of it!" :D

LOL yeah I hate insulting monk:Deys

Rob454
05-13-2010, 2:46 PM

Dont worry While I never personally dealt with you I STILL go to the stores that treated me right.

I don't like turners much either but that's another story. What really bothers me about Rettings is that for a long time they claimed that OLL are illegal and you cant have them you will go to jail bla bla bla. Then all of the sudden OH CRAP we can make money on these so lets start selling them Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I really am glad that some people get treated nice there. They need to. I remember the First time i went in for a PPT. Not only did we get the run around and dealt with 3-4 different people during the actual paperwork BUT we had to wait 3 1/2 hours to get the paperwork started all because they were too busy at the time. And all they were doing was answering questions from customers. I know it was only 10$ they would make but if they did not have a HUA syndrome they would of had 10$ in their pocket and I would of slapped 500$ down for a nice Scout M1 they had on the rack and my CC in the other hand that day. So just because someone came in for a PPT does not mean that they wont turn around and get something else immediately.

As for the losing the store due to a customer LOL yeah i can see them being somewhat worrysome about that but its still a wishy washy sort of a statement. Plenty of gun stores that took on "The Man" scoffed at the lame gun laws and forged ahead. Rettings COULD of been one of those stores yet ( and this is what really bothers me) they simply decided that they are gonna interpret the law as they see fit and tell anyone who walked in they will go to jail etc OLL talk rather than simply say we do not sell these weapons at the time until we understand the laws better.

Thats the reason I will never spend a dollar at Rettings nor will I ever send anyone there to purchase anything. The owner of Rettings needs to know that for every happy person the store has he may tell 2-3 people. For every upset customer he may have he will tell 100 people.

Silverlake223
05-13-2010, 3:03 PM
Yes, Retting did change their minds on a dame, as I was almost done paying for a sealed magwell Bushmaster and the guy told me that in 1 week, they were going tio carry BB AR's. They let me transfer my deposit and I got a S&W AR. Whew... That was a close one!

anniepoks
05-13-2010, 4:33 PM
...the power of money/profit - AMAZING!

ArkinDomino
05-13-2010, 5:12 PM
I don't think its petty to NOT shop at a place that called me a criminal when I corrected another client on some serious FUD.

Sumo99
05-13-2010, 5:25 PM
Was just there on Monday and it surprised the heck out of me. Even one of the clerks was amazed that they finally started carrying them. He didn't think they would ever come around.

I personally like Rettings. They have always treated me well. They sent both my Kimber and Springfield 1911's back to the factory for repair for me. I've had the OLL conversation with them many times and have never been told that I would go to jail for owning one. They just said that they choose not to sell them because they feel that there is too many "gray" areas and are not completely satisfied in the way the laws can be interpreted. I'm glad that the ownership finally changed his mind, no matter what the reason.

Sure Shot 45
05-13-2010, 6:49 PM
Rettings has a good selection, please tell me who has more guns in stock than Rettings here in the L.A. area. Also they have some high end stuff, that's alot of money in inventory. Prices are pretty high at all the gun stores in the area, but pretty close $30-40 bucks, here or there. So I would not say there priced to high, Gun World in Burbank is priced to high and thats a fact. Rettings is a great store, good prices, good service, good selection, good location, good hours ect.

usmcchet9296
05-13-2010, 8:22 PM
I'm curious as to what "rulings" they are being satisfied by, since there haven't been any rulings at all in quite some time. In fact, the DOJ has pretty much given up on the issue.

Exactly its about money

who is left that doesnt sell OLL rifles

Rob454
05-13-2010, 8:27 PM
who is left that doesnt sell OLL rifles

Im pretty sure Grant boys in Newport beach does not sell OLL rifles. At least the last time I went there they didnt. I go there to get my work pants

CHS
05-13-2010, 9:23 PM
Im pretty sure Grant boys in Newport beach does not sell OLL rifles. At least the last time I went there they didnt. I go there to get my work pants

Correct, Grant boys doesn't sell anything black or evil looking.

They actually heavily promote Riflegear to anyone that comes in looking for black gun stuff.

Very cool of them to do, rather than tell people that that kind of stuff is just plain illegal.

sickboy774
05-14-2010, 1:00 AM

I live 10 minutes from then and would rather drive an hour than give them my money. I can't stand some of the guys that work in there....too cool to be bothered

Rob454
05-14-2010, 7:27 AM
Well at least im not the only one that feels this way.