PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine

GunDog
05-12-2010, 8:34 PM
While living in Washington State I legally purchased a Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine. Great gun and fun to shoot. Problem is when I relocated to California 5 years ago, I had to leave the Bushmaster with a friend in Washington State because of this state's restrictive gun laws. Since being here in California I have heard about such things as "approved" or "off-list" lowers although, I don't fully understand the term or the consequences thereof. Is it okay for me to bring the upper receiver of my Bushmaster into California and then mount it on one of the so-called "approved off-list lowers?" Any information is greatly appreciated. It's really bugging me having to leave Bushmaster out of state but, needless to say I want to stay on the right side of the law.

Daniel Hunter
05-12-2010, 9:17 PM
Yes, if your rifle is named on the list you'll have to leave the lower receiver out of state. You can strip every single part off the rifle and build a new one with an off list lower and be legal. Don't forget the bullet button mag. release.

swerv512
05-13-2010, 3:01 PM
^^^
+1...

just remove the upper and LPK and install on an approved OLL. done deal. i didnt bother to research that upper, but make sure it is of CA-legal minimum barrel length.

GunDog
05-13-2010, 6:11 PM
^^^
+1...

just remove the upper and LPK and install on an approved OLL. done deal. i didnt bother to research that upper, but make sure it is of CA-legal minimum barrel length.

Believe it has a 16" bbl. What is the "LPK?" Not familiar with that term. Are they any black rifle dealers/shops in the Central Cal area that specialize in such conversions?

anniepoks
05-13-2010, 6:37 PM
Believe it has a 16" bbl. What is the "LPK?" Not familiar with that term. Are they any black rifle dealers/shops in the Central Cal area that specialize in such conversions?

LPK - lowers parts kit; trigger, hammer, spring, etc.....
you dont have to look for dealer who will convert it, just disassemble the lower and leave it out of Cali. then you can buy an OLL - (off-list-lower) that can be used to assemble your new rifle using your old AR parts!

anniepoks
05-13-2010, 6:40 PM
GunDog, here's your private tutor;
have fun and good luck with the "rebuild". :)

http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

Dr Rockso
05-13-2010, 6:44 PM
It's ridiculously easy...just buy a stripped lower that's not on Appendix B, page 2 (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf) (fairly comprehensive list here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=34397)). Pop your upper off, disassemble your lower (instructions and videos available online, you'll probably need to buy a couple of inexpensive tools). Reassemble on an off-list lower with a bullet button instead of the stock magazine release, put your upper back on, and you're done.

GunDog
05-13-2010, 7:53 PM
Wow! Looks like an easy fix. Thanks to all for the information and advice.
:)

swerv512
05-14-2010, 2:57 PM
the easiest fix, and the choice i'd choose, is to get the hell out of this commie state and move back to washington. i hate having to neuter firearms just to please some politician....

Greg-Dawg
05-14-2010, 4:32 PM
Why not just take apart the whole Bushmaster and keep the stripped lower in CA also?

Since you're already using the Bushy upper, lower parts kit and stock on another off list lower, with bullet button/10 rounders...holding onto a Bushmaster stripped lower in CA soil should be good to go. What do you guys think?

stix213
05-14-2010, 6:20 PM
Also remember you will have to disassemble any 11 or greater round capacity magazines into parts kits, or permanently modify them to 10 round capacity, to bring those into the state. With a bullet button you will also be restricted to 10 round or less capacity mags even if you or a friend here legally own high capacity mags.

stix213
05-14-2010, 6:22 PM
Why not just take apart the whole Bushmaster and keep the stripped lower in CA also?

Since you're already using the Bushy upper, lower parts kit and stock on another off list lower, with bullet button/10 rounders...holding onto a Bushmaster stripped lower in CA soil should be good to go. What do you guys think?

My understanding is if the lower is on the list, it is an AW, even if disassembled. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

Dr Rockso
05-14-2010, 6:22 PM

DO NOT DO THIS

Listed stripped lowers may be defensible, but it is not worth it. Don't bring an on-list lower into CA.