PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice Invite

JPurp
05-12-2010, 4:52 PM
So I could REALLY use a Google Voice invite. I have asked and asked but Google won't break loose with one.

I have Google Wave and GMail invite I could offer up as a trade.

I have had GMail for 6+ years now and I run all other Google apps.... except Voice.

Help me CalGunners you are my only hope.

-JP

Scratch705
05-12-2010, 5:04 PM
can't you just apply for one from google? that is what i did and got in within 2 weeks....

i actually still haven't activated it yet... heh.

JPurp
05-12-2010, 5:12 PM
Most Google apps you can just request but since Google Voice requires a lot of back end for Google to offer it to you they are doing a slow roll out.

If you have one please, please, please activate it. You will have some quantity of invites to share and I would love one.

Thanks,

-JP

smird
05-12-2010, 6:12 PM
PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.

Brad

TonyM
05-12-2010, 7:07 PM
I have 1 invite left as well for a calgunner, PM me and I will give it up.

ptdog
05-12-2010, 7:09 PM
i have 3 invites to give out.

JDay
05-12-2010, 7:57 PM
Gmail invites... anyone can just signup these days. Don't know why Google hasn't sent you an invite yet, the last few google voice accounts I made I got my invite in an instant.

JDay
05-12-2010, 7:59 PM
You will have some quantity of invites to share and I would love one.

I have had a Google Voice account since it was Grand Central and I have yet to receive any invites to give out.

Tacom
05-12-2010, 8:04 PM
PM me if others fall through or someone else wants one.

JPurp
05-12-2010, 9:22 PM
Much thanks to smird for providing an invite.

Also thanks to everyone else that responded. I don't know why I didn't think of hitting up Calguns sooner.

One question to GVoice users. It gives the impression you either take enhanced voicemail or a Google number? I was under the impression the Google number had all the features of the lesser services?

Thanks again,

-JP

JDay
05-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Much thanks to smird for providing an invite.

Also thanks to everyone else that responded. I don't know why I didn't think of hitting up Calguns sooner.

One question to GVoice users. It gives the impression you either take enhanced voicemail or a Google number? I was under the impression the Google number had all the features of the lesser services?

Thanks again,

-JP

You get a number from Google and you link it to your home, office and cellphone numbers. You can read and listen to your voicemail online and have them text messaged to you. You can also use it to get free long distance. Just checkout the help sections on there.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16497

JPurp
05-13-2010, 5:34 AM
So the video gives the perception that if you pick a Google number you will not get the voicemail only features.

In fact you get everything with a Google number. The link provided by JDay correctly sums it up.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16497

Thanks again gang for the assistance.

-JP

ptdog
05-13-2010, 7:14 AM
2 invites left to give out

TWoods450
05-13-2010, 7:17 AM
all my voice invites are gone, but if you want google wave, PM me with your email address.

sfwdiy
05-13-2010, 1:18 PM
I have had a Google Voice account since it was Grand Central and I have yet to receive any invites to give out.

Look at the bottom of the sidebar on the left side of the page. Nothing?

http://web.me.com/sfwdiy/xd/gvinvites.png

Maybe you're not as cool as the rest of us. :p

Seriously though, they just showed up at random for me one day.

--B

otis_bartleh
05-13-2010, 3:12 PM
^^ i haven't seen any either, but I got my GV invite automatically with my Nexus One. But so far, I have not had a single decent call using GV, and people I have been talking to that are using GV also have terrible call quality... So I just use the voicemail service...

sfwdiy
05-13-2010, 3:42 PM
^^ i haven't seen any either, but I got my GV invite automatically with my Nexus One. But so far, I have not had a single decent call using GV, and people I have been talking to that are using GV also have terrible call quality... So I just use the voicemail service...

Really? I've never had an issue with call quality using GV that couldn't be attributed to the giant and powerful suck that is AT&T Wireless. On landlines I have absolutely no issues. I love me some Google Voice.

--B

Bug Splat
05-13-2010, 4:07 PM
Love my GV. I'm 100% fully switched over from my old verizon number. I have a work cell with all the add-ons and GV runs flawlessly with my cell phone using idialer. For work I use the phone dialer and for friends and family I use iDialer. Love it Love it Love it :)

JDay
05-13-2010, 4:53 PM
Look at the bottom of the sidebar on the left side of the page. Nothing?

http://web.me.com/sfwdiy/xd/gvinvites.png

Maybe you're not as cool as the rest of us. :p

Seriously though, they just showed up at random for me one day.

--B

One of my accounts got one today, first time I've had one.

otis_bartleh
05-13-2010, 5:49 PM
Yeah, its weird, the calls I placed using GV just seemed to have a bad connection, and most calls had the echo where I'd hear myself back 1-2 seconds after I said it... But just using my regular cell number placing and receiving calls, no problems. I wish it worked ok for me, but I can't have this poor quality and still use the phone for business...

Good to hear a few of you are liking it, gives me hope for the future. There seems to be alot of people also having issues with it over on the Google forums... And if I see I get some invites to give out, I'll come back here and share with cal-gunners!

valkylrie
05-13-2010, 6:49 PM
Wow, If anyone has any invites left, I would happily take one today!

I have applied about 5 times and nothing, I do use lots of the google tools. Oh well have to beg I guess.......

ptdog
05-14-2010, 8:57 AM
i have one left. Just PM me your email address and I will send it over.

ArkinDomino
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Anybody else have any invites? Google hasn't sent me one either. :(

otis_bartleh
05-17-2010, 7:59 AM
So after the good things heard here, I tried makings some calls on using GV for the first time in about a month (I've talked to others that were using GV recently, and the quality was real bad), and my call quality on the calls I've made is pretty good now, much better than it was for me at first! cool...

but still no invites for me to give out...

whobob
05-18-2010, 3:07 AM
You'll need a smartphone to get the full advantage of the GV.

I never had any bad quality with GV. Maybe it's your service provider. I doubt you'll get bad quality using a house phone.

ptdog
05-18-2010, 6:44 AM
All 3 invites have been given out. If I get more, I will offer them up.

otis_bartleh
05-18-2010, 6:59 AM
@whobob, Nexus One is a smartphone, and it is not the provider when you hang up a poor gv call, and re-make the call with regular # with no issues...

On another note, gv are still not up to par with my regular cell calls, but much better than it used to be on my phone...

plan-b
05-19-2010, 2:38 PM
The technology behind Voice consumes more resources than Gmail so I think the fact that it's still mostly a free service makes it hard to open up for any Joe Schmoe to sign up.

*Disclaimer, I work there but this is only my personal speculation, I don't work on either the Gmail or Voice products.*

PS. I have 8 invites so if any CalGunners want in, PM me and I'll hook you up.

Edit: Tell me what email address you want the invite sent to. :)
4 claimed, 4 to go.

GunGeek
05-27-2010, 8:42 AM
2 invites left to give out

Would love to get a Google Voice invite. My email is joev50@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Chris M
05-27-2010, 8:54 AM
I've had Google Voice for about 6 months, and have never had the option of inviting anyone else.

qoodoo
05-28-2010, 3:50 PM
I applied with 3 different emails like 6 months ago and never got an email...its really slow haha.

Anyways if anybody has a spare could you help a guy out?

thx

winnre
05-28-2010, 5:25 PM
I have 3, first three to PM me their email addy gets one.

winnre
05-28-2010, 5:59 PM
One left.

inbox485
06-03-2010, 8:19 AM
If anybody still has an invite, I'd appreciate it. Email is my username at gmail dot com

winnre
06-03-2010, 1:46 PM
Okay you have one inbox, I am out of invites for now.

Chris M
06-03-2010, 2:07 PM
I've got 16 Google Wave (https://wave.google.com/) invites, if anyone wants 'em.

inbox485
06-03-2010, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the voice invite. I'm not really sure what I'd use Wave for, but I looked at it, and I not only didn't need an invite, but I have 50 invites to give out. I don't appear to have voice invites though.

otis_bartleh
06-21-2010, 9:56 AM
I just got 2 Voice invites! Maybe the more you use it, the more invites you get... I still use my regular cell number most of the time...

So.... if a fellow cal-gunner or two need or want a Google Voice invite, pm me your email address and I'll send it over... :)

8bitnintendo
06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I've still got 3 invites left too, anybody who wants one can PM me. I didn't even know they were doing the invite system (I have a Droid, so I guess we get to create an account automatically? Or something.)

otis_bartleh
06-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I got the option to join Voice when I bought the Nexus One, so maybe the Android 2.1 or later phones automatically get the invite.... :shrug: