PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feral Goats in Inland Empire

gotime
05-12-2010, 4:10 PM
I found mention of "feral goats" in some California hunting literature, but am curious to know if anyone here has hunted them in SoCal. I'm in the Inland Empire, but distance isn't too much of a problem for me. Thanks in advance.

jawbreaker
05-12-2010, 4:42 PM
Check the bad lands near big horn ranch. I don't know if there is public land around there but the goats used to escape and may be in the canyons back there.

Call_me_Tom
05-12-2010, 4:56 PM
Would you need tags?

jawbreaker
05-12-2010, 5:44 PM
If you hunt on the ranch you do not need tags as the game there is not free range, it has all been bought and paid for. As for feral goats you would have to check the regs, I will try and look it up later but don't take someones word for it here you should check for yourself to be sure.

77bawls
05-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Goat isn't the best thing I've had.

gotime
05-13-2010, 6:57 AM
I agree, but my Korean grandmother attributes almost magical health benefits to goats.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-13-2010, 7:22 AM
Goats taste worse than coyote. Even in curry it is hard to rid that gamey taste. If you find a place to hunt them please let me know. I would love to try to hunt something new.

GVOllie
05-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Goat isn't the best thing I've had.

We ate it a lot in my childhood. I don't remember that it tasted bad, but at my age, my memory isn't what it used to be. Of course, these weren't feral goats either.

DirtyDave
05-13-2010, 4:31 PM
feral goats may be taken all year, no tags needed

Chapter 6. Nongame Animals

472. General Provisions.

Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d) below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.

(b) Fallow, sambar, sika, and axis deer may be taken only concurrently with the general deer season.

(c) Aoudad, mouflon, tahr, and feral goats may be taken all year.

spectr17
05-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Never seen or heard of any loose goats in the Badlands Hills by Redlands. The ones I know of are way north of there. about 120 miles in a spot no one would even think to look. There was a pic of a goat shot there on the Brag Wall at Bass Pro in Rancho last year. That's all I'm saying or my buddy will kill me.

77bawls
05-13-2010, 8:09 PM
Goats taste worse than coyote. Even in curry it is hard to rid that gamey taste. If you find a place to hunt them please let me know. I would love to try to hunt something new.

Muslims eat a lot of goat. They eat beef too but they have to kill it themselves to be able to eat it. It's easier to kill chickens and goats.

rino
05-14-2010, 8:02 AM
seen 5 or so this past year deer hunting in so-cal;)

go out and hunt ,go to differnt areas and you will come across lots of things