PDA

View Full Version : second-generation grizzly-polar bear hybrid—a "pizzly" or "grolar" bear.

PatriotnMore
05-12-2010, 4:43 PM
Here we go again, global warming being pointed to as one answer. I am sorry, I am not buying it, and I am glad other scientist are not just jumping on the bandwagon.

I am sure many of you remember this story. http://www.slate.com/id/2253332/?Gt1=38002

Some scientists believe that global warming could cause the hybridization of many arctic animals (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Warming+Arctic+will+give+rise+mammal+hybrids+Biolo gist/2961475/story.html), particularly marine mammals. The thinking goes that as Arctic sea ice melts, closely related species in the North Pacific and North Atlantic will come into contact and interbreed. In the case of polar bears, loss of habitat could drive them to land, where they may come into contact with grizzlies. Other scientists, however, aren't convinced that climate change is the trigger for the hybrid bears.

wjc
05-12-2010, 9:29 PM
I gotta agree with this...I don't believe it's from global warming/cooling. Some of their data makes sense but I think it's mostly natural cycles of the planet.

...anyway sometimes papa bear's just gotta get some freaky. :D

Abesnake
05-12-2010, 9:38 PM
I agree Patriot. They are just mixing in Global warming again with another bear story. By the way the original information came from, I believe, a Discovery Channel special. The hunter who shot the first hybrid bear was heavily fined. I think the state of Alaska said he had taken a Polar Bear and the hunter disputed that, saying it was a Grizzly. I don't remember the exact arguments. However the State fined him and confiscated the bear. A lot of money was spent on expert testimony and DNA, etc. in a law suite and the bear was declared a legal kill and he got the fine and the kill back from the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game. I remember a picture of him with the mounted bear. It was white with brown circles around its eyes.

wjc
05-12-2010, 9:57 PM
I agree Patriot. They are just mixing in Global warming again with another bear story. By the way the original information came from, I believe, a Discovery Channel special. The hunter who shot the first hybrid bear was heavily fined. I think the state of Alaska said he had taken a Polar Bear and the hunter disputed that, saying it was a Grizzly. I don't remember the exact arguments. However the State fined him and confiscated the bear. A lot of money was spent on expert testimony and DNA, etc. in a law suite and the bear was declared a legal kill and he got the fine and the kill back from the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game. I remember a picture of him with the mounted bear. It was white with brown circles around its eyes.

yeah, I saw that documentary as well. That bear looked almost sickly to me.

It's good he got out from under that legal hassle.