PDA

View Full Version : Any word on these?

Crawfish141
05-12-2010, 4:07 PM
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/order/prodlist.exe/PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=40012

It looks like a good deal, and they'll sell to Ca. Anyone buy from them before?

Crawfish141
05-12-2010, 9:01 PM
70 views and no one has ordered from there?

HK Dave
05-12-2010, 9:11 PM
I think it's because i'd pay about $300 for that. :(

anniepoks
05-12-2010, 9:15 PM
expen$ive!

Crawfish141
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
expen$ive!

$700 is expensive for a converted Saiga? If I'm not mistaken it's a band new Russian AK, chromed bore takes double-stack mags and all.

Or are you saying for an AK in general? I would agree since it could probably be made in Russia for <$100, but the market in America (especially Ca) will bare much more.

For comparison Aim has them for only 10 bucks cheaper, alas they don't ship to Ca :(

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ASGL2161&groupid=11

Rekrab
05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I think the problem here is that you could buy a new Saiga, do the work yourself and still have money left for plenty of ammunition.

dskell
05-12-2010, 11:39 PM
As far as I know that's a decent price for an Arsenal AK, especially since they will ship to California.

If you're in socal, check out Cold War Shooters, I'm pretty sure they stock the Arsenal AK's. The price may be higher but, you will save on shipping and the online transfer fee.

Crawfish141
05-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I think the problem here is that you could buy a new Saiga, do the work yourself and still have money left for plenty of ammunition.
I could, however to get all the small parts like the gas block, muzzle brake (and threading), rear sight etc, it would be only ~$100 cheaper. On top of that I'd have to build it.

dskell
05-13-2010, 12:06 AM

Well the value to this rifle over converting one yourself is that all the work has been done by Arsenal. Also many people don't have all the tools required to do a full conversion (removing the gas block, threading the barrel etc.)

With an Arsenal, you know everything has been done about as well as it could be done.

bigian
05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
2 quick AK noob questions, why are Arsenal considered the top of the line AKs, is it because they're new stock?

2nd, what's the difference between the 47 and the 74?

Thanks and sorry to derail your thread Crawfish but as far as the topic goes, some would rather build to get their hands dirty and say they did it, others want to pay a couple bucks more and not deal with the hassle, neither are wrong, it's just personal prefrence...

pacrimguru
05-13-2010, 12:26 AM
1) saiga's are real russian ak-47's made by izhmash, the russian company that makes them for the russian military. now forgive me if i'm mistaken, but arsenal is the u.s. importer of these russian izhmash saiga ak's. other ak's you see out there are romanian, bugarian, etc.

2) AK-47 = 7.62x39mm, AK-74 - 5.45x39mm

reidnez
05-13-2010, 8:43 AM
That's a good deal, I have seen them for upwards of a grand not long ago. As you've found, you don't save *THAT* much money by DIY'ing it, and that assumes you are comfortable putting a drill to a rifle. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I agree that Arsenal is probably the highest-quality AK you can buy right now for a reasonable sum. Stock Saigas are great little carbines in their own right, the ergos work for me a lot better than any AK.

Barabas
05-13-2010, 8:57 AM
When Arsenal stops calling plastic stocked 7.62x39 rifles AK74's, I might start taking them serious. They didn't help their reputation in my eyes when they started licensing their name for airsoft.

Crawfish141
05-13-2010, 9:07 AM
When Arsenal stops calling plastic stocked 7.62x39 rifles AK74's, I might start taking them serious. They didn't help their reputation in my eyes when they started licensing their name for airsoft.

Quite a few companies do that, do you not respect Magpul or Noveske?

Though you are right it isn't a Ak-74, it's a Saiga converted back to it's normal state. If anything it's an Ak-103 or a fancy Akm. But who cares, it's basically a 7.62x39 Ak-74?

Also where do I get one of these plastic flaps to make the gun featureless?
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/mcad33/DSC01149.jpg

Barabas
05-13-2010, 9:24 AM
If it makes you feel any better to know, I don't own any Magpul or Noveske swag, not that mislabeling firearms is the reason for it.

Calling it "basically a 7.62x39 Ak-74" is like calling a DPMS LR-308 Carbine "basically a 7.62x51 CAR-15." It has its own designation, use it. Using the designation of another rifle to sell one that resembles it, is dishonest. Like all of the PSL distributors calling it an SVD Dragunov, it's deceiving to the uninformed. Just because something becomes common doesn't mean it's correct.

ponderosa
05-13-2010, 9:38 AM
Also where do I get one of these plastic flaps to make the gun featureless?[/IMG]

http://www.solartactical.com/category.sc?categoryId=19