PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my 'new' Truck Gun-Izzy HB FAL Para Beater-yes it is..

DisgruntledReaper
05-12-2010, 2:55 PM
Hey, well I think this is my first official 'post a build' thread.

I wanted to build up a 'truck gun' that basically is always carried in a steel box with me and it sits along with a 'complete as I go' disaster/gmh/camp kit. I wanted a 308, I wanted to make it as inexpensive as I could so as many used parts as possible were used and function over looks so it has dings,chipped wood, etc.

It is basically a FAL Izzy HB Paratrooper with a folding stock and an 18" barrel.To keep the DOinJ and PD critters happy it has a fixed mag(to have a mag release/BB box soon) and comes in at 30.5" OAL with the stock folded,so no 'special ruler or tape measure' can find it under 30".

Specifics are-

-beat STG58 Lower receiver converted to Para.
-Izzy HB assy cut to 18",threaded,Belgian Combo device installed and reparked.Barrel has a bore but maybe a good shooter-will see on 1st range trip-that is why I got it for FREE!!:D
-DSA Type 1 Receriver that needed welding and other rework-was sold off as scrap due to manufacturing blunders and I aquired it.
-SA Para folder(SARCO Humper special needed work) that was modded to used the std Izzy HB 700m rear sight.
-worn and beat wood furniture and metal HG that were recoated with Brownells 'Oxpho Blue'-(also used on lower,folder,some other parts
- Used Para BC,top cover,spring set.

Basically most of the rifle is 30-50+ yrs old.....and it rocks.
Bad thing is it is like 9 lbs with that barrel BUT if it shoots well on the test..I will NEVER have to worry about 'barrel bend' Besides,FAL's will basically eat anything you feed them...there is a thread on 1 still going after 15-20K rounds with basically no cleaning and even has a broken gas piston spring in it-still working!! Gotta love it.

*so you know, I consider folders to mainly be a transport asset and unless some sht hits some fan I never plane on shooting it with it folded in ernest...but may have to try once 'for an actual recoil check test'

Well now to try to attach pics...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/DisgruntledReaper/trkfal7.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/DisgruntledReaper/trkfal3.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/DisgruntledReaper/trkfal2.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/DisgruntledReaper/trkfal1.jpg

Cobrafreak
05-12-2010, 3:32 PM
I like the wood. Nice rifle. I have a DSA SA-58 para and really like it. No kick, accurate, goes through thick steel targets with ordinary ammo. Wrecking machinehttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/P3180005.jpg

DisgruntledReaper
05-12-2010, 3:39 PM
Thank's! Hey if you have not tried it, if you can get some of the Brit Radway Green surplus that was around in the DARK green bondos...that load seems pretty stout..it absolutely punished my friend's steel swinger when compared to wolf/good reloads from ammo bros/other fmj. GOOD Stuff to find and keep on hand ...you know....

DisgruntledReaper
05-12-2010, 3:41 PM
Hey bender, did not see a comment but if you were assisting me with the pic post issue--THANK'S bud...I sorted out my photobucket issue..not really happy with the latest changes they did...

DisgruntledReaper
05-12-2010, 3:47 PM
Nice rifle! you running a 10/20 on that or is that an OOS(out of state) pic? looks great..hey r u a member on FalFiles?? Member Dunk RD passed away from a GS accident..on 5-10....sucks, he helped me with this ,did the barrel for me/he gave it to me and modded it for me...and i finished it last wed, the day he had the accident...makes it extra special......too bad I could not get him a range report, he wanted to know how the barrel shot.....kinda bummin right now,was a real good friend ...Here to you Roger!!!! 1st 21 rounds will be for you..

tombinghamthegreat
05-12-2010, 5:01 PM
Nice rifle. Not really of fan of bb for a trunk gun, personally use a featureless design but to each of their own.

bwiese
05-12-2010, 5:15 PM
I hope the overall length of the rifle you have is 30" min, measured with the stock folded *closed*:

- Semiauto centerfire rifles must have a min. OAL of 30" or they
fall into AW category.

- Due to Rooney decision, this overall rifle length is measured
with folding stock closed. [This differens from Federal method, which
allows min. length to be acheived with stock *open*.]

Please double check this.

Barabas
05-12-2010, 6:17 PM
If he's got an 18" barrel it will be just the other side of 30" when folded. If the FH gets pinned and welded, he'll have a stick even the "special" tape measure will pass.

jdberger
05-12-2010, 6:35 PM
Nice rifle.

till44
05-12-2010, 7:57 PM
Looks good.

Jason762
05-12-2010, 8:02 PM
You know, ordinarily, I hate Izzy FALS. I just don't like those handguards.

But I must say, on yours, with that folding stock, I quite like it. I like it enough that I saved the images to hopefully build one like yours. :thumbsup:

River Jack
05-12-2010, 8:24 PM
I'm usually not a fan of FALs, but am making an exception for this one. I really like the way this one came out. Nice work. Now I want one!

DisgruntledReaper
05-13-2010, 5:52 PM
thank's for the opinions guys. Bwiese-yes I am at 30.5"OAL with the stock closed aas measured from the end of the muzzlebrake to the end of the folding stock mounting 'plate'/mounting 'knuckle' so they can try anyway they want....unless they try bowing it out -the measure tape-then I will be the 1st to call BS.

What I cant get is why many of you guys dont like fals...why? I mean beside a couple building areas that are PITA and they are heavy. they may not do 1" groups but mine will do 2" sometimes a little less if I do my part and have the right ammo.

I like them because they are tough reliable accurate enough and easy to work on and replace parts on.

And most of mine cost me less than what a lot of AR uppers go for if you get fancy

fal_762x51
05-13-2010, 7:31 PM
I love FALs, yours looks pretty.

DisgruntledReaper
05-16-2010, 7:59 PM
I did this as an Izzy Para only for the reason that I ended up with an Izzy Heavy Barrel assy so I was stuck using a rear Izzy sight assy and the HG assy. If I would have gotten a std Metric barrel assy it would have come out different. I also have an Inch style Para rifle kit that has a 13" barrel with a 4" long fake solid FH to get to 17". this one I will have thefolding stock set screwed so it will be a 'featureless build'....I have attached a pic below...

thefinger
05-16-2010, 8:40 PM
HAWT!!!

Jpach
05-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Dude that rifle is SICK! Hows it shoot? Or have you not taken it out yet

Ford8N
05-17-2010, 4:31 AM
You know, ordinarily, I hate Izzy FALS. I just don't like those handguards.

But I must say, on yours, with that folding stock, I quite like it. I like it enough that I saved the images to hopefully build one like yours. :thumbsup:

Same here. I'm not a fan of those hand guards but when you trimmed the barrel it looks kinda cool. Sorta FNCish para model. :thumbsup:

dfletcher
05-17-2010, 7:31 AM
I've got a DSA with the "pretty wood" but always liked service wood look. My PG is black plastic and the only wood ones I can find are for the inch version - how'd you do yours?

BHPFan
05-17-2010, 7:59 AM
While I think FALs are great and they are really "all that" for a rifle, I wonder if a Saiga 7.62x39 would make a better truck gun:
1) Cheaper than FAL
2) Featureless
3) Hey, it's an AK so it is boringly reliable.

FALs can be just as sturdy as AK, but I feel they have an elegance and class in themselves that it's a sin to mistreat it. In other words, both are sturdy, but one (FAL) is more elegant than the other (AK).

While on the subject of that FAL, what brand of muzzlebrake are you using? I know that FALs are the softest shooting in comparison to other battle rifles (M14 and G3), but with that folding stock, the recoil would be more felt.

RikSors
05-17-2010, 8:11 AM
Basically most of the rifle is 30-50+ yrs old.....and it rocks.

In this case old is sexy...:drool5:

Nice rifle.

-hanko
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
While I think FALs are great and they are really "all that" for a rifle, I wonder if a Saiga 7.62x39 would make a better truck gun:
1) Cheaper than FAL
2) Featureless
3) Hey, it's an AK so it is boringly reliable.

FALs can be just as sturdy as AK, but I feel they have an elegance and class in themselves that it's a sin to mistreat it. In other words, both are sturdy, but one (FAL) is more elegant than the other (AK).

While on the subject of that FAL, what brand of muzzlebrake are you using? I know that FALs are the softest shooting in comparison to other battle rifles (M14 and G3), but with that folding stock, the recoil would be more felt.
1. Get what ya' pay for...it's a bigger bullet, a faster bullet, and goes way past the AK round.
2. Get a T48 or DSA feed lip top cover & use stripper clips.
3. The FAL will be as reliable, for all practical purposes...If reliability is the only factor, find a single shot breakopen rifle...nothing can go wrong;).

FH looks Belgian, wrong angle to see if the holes are drilled through or just decorative.

My 'truck gun' from way back is an unissued South American kit on a GL Imbel receiver; barrel is the oem 17-3/8" version with a Venezuelan FH.

-hanko

mlancaster
05-17-2010, 3:48 PM
If he's got an 18" barrel it will be just the other side of 30" when folded. If the FH gets pinned and welded, he'll have a stick even the "special" tape measure will pass.

What is all this business about special tape measures?

Are these Special Tape Measures LEO Toys? What Makes them so special?

DisgruntledReaper
05-19-2010, 8:36 PM
Hey guys thank's for the comments and the questions and now for your answers.

jpach-no i have not fired it yet but plan on doing so inthe next week if I can sort my weekdays or weekends out--have to go to Lytle or Burro to shoot because the 'indoor rifle ranges' here only let you do 223....what an effin joke,cant believe the range owners cant get their act-s together....so add more padding to the walls for fug sake!

Dfletcher-My wood PG is a beatup Turkish made FN G1 Replacement..if you are looking for one LMK what shape you want and $$ range , I can post a WTB on the FalFiles for ya. I will have to say that any wood PG for a metric pattern FAL will be in the $25-45 range for 1 that may have a repaired crack but still be good to go ..pristine shape..approaching like $70.

BHPfan- I am using a standard Belgian Combo Device--ie it is a FH(I think more of a MB in my exp.), and is threaded for a Blank Firing Adapter-threaded internally and has 'teeth' on the end for the 'spring finger' on the BFA.

Hanko- good eye, it is belgian and actually I am pretty impressed at how it matched up to the barrel thickness on the Izzy HB once it was cut,threaed and crowned..when mounted it looked 'made for it'. Sounds like you have a good truck gun yourself!

Regarding recoil and muzzle rise -I dont anticipate much with the weight-10 LBS!! I was hoping it would be less but there is some serious metal in that barrel..like 1" thick or more by the chamber end..frikkin heavy but I am a glutton....

On the tape measure thing for Mlancaster- the 'special tape measure' refers to the crooked eye and cutdown tape measure that 'less than honest' LEO,DA,etc have that always seems to make a short barrel or 30"oal come out 'just under legal length' so they can try to throw the book at you and further their worthless carriers to become polishiiitins and PITA liberals.

Stay frosty guys!!

BHPFan
05-19-2010, 9:56 PM
1. Get what ya' pay for...it's a bigger bullet, a faster bullet, and goes way past the AK round.
2. Get a T48 or DSA feed lip top cover & use stripper clips.
3. The FAL will be as reliable, for all practical purposes...If reliability is the only factor, find a single shot breakopen rifle...nothing can go wrong;).

FH looks Belgian, wrong angle to see if the holes are drilled through or just decorative.

My 'truck gun' from way back is an unissued South American kit on a GL Imbel receiver; barrel is the oem 17-3/8" version with a Venezuelan FH.

-hanko

1) Yeah... I will get what I pay for: A reliable, featureless AK with plenty of ammo for the price of a FAL. Besides, why not having something like an AK system as a beater truck gun where one can scratch, mistreat, ***** on it, abuse it and still working ?
True, FAL can also keep on going like the Energizer rabbit, but why mistreat a great, elegant rifle when you can do that to something cheaper and butt ugly. Kinda like SIGs and Glocks are equally reliable and sturdy, but which one would you abuse more?
2) I'd rather use detachable mags. Quicker for me. Stripper clips on FALs...been there, done that.
3) No thanks on the single shot rifle. I'll take the Saiga/AK, proven reliability in 63 years of combat use though they are not as accurate nor powerful as the FAL, but still great as a beater gun for the money.

freonr22
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I have really wanted a FAL. i think before an m1a even. maybe ill get off my butt this year and make it happen. nice rifle!