PDA

View Full Version : Hunting License

nguyen831
05-12-2010, 3:38 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the noob question but since I've never been hunting, how do obtain a hunting license and how much will it be? I plan to go boar hunting and duck hunting.

Jerr
05-12-2010, 4:01 PM
In order to purchase a hunting license you will first need to attend a hunter safety class and pass it. Once that is taken care of you will receive your hunter safety certificate which you can take to any big 5, turners, walmart etc... and purchase your hunting license.

-I believe the hunter safety class runs about $50,
-the hunting license which is good from July to Jun is about $45.
-If you want to hunt ducks you will require two duck stamps, one federal and one state $35 bucks combined,
-for piggies, you will need Pig tags, about $20 each.

All of the fees listed above will need to be paid each year except for the hunter safety certificate which is good for life.

Jerrsun

nguyen831
05-12-2010, 4:10 PM
Cool, great. Thank you.

nguyen831
05-12-2010, 4:33 PM
any discounts for having a handgun safety certificate?

Backcountry
05-12-2010, 4:39 PM
any discounts for having a handgun safety certificate?

No.

wjc
05-12-2010, 9:17 PM
In order to purchase a hunting license you will first need to attend a hunter safety class and pass it. Once that is taken care of you will receive your hunter safety certificate which you can take to any big 5, turners, walmart etc... and purchase your hunting license.

-I believe the hunter safety class runs about $50,
-the hunting license which is good from July to Jun is about $45.
-If you want to hunt ducks you will require two duck stamps, one federal and one state $35 bucks combined,
-for piggies, you will need Pig tags, about $20 each.

All of the fees listed above will need to be paid each year except for the hunter safety certificate which is good for life.

Jerrsun

just a couple of additions here...I had to find out the hard way. :mad:

Most of those places can give you your license...if they have them. Try to find one of those stores or outfitters that always seems to have licenses available, i.e. they are usually available and don't run out.

Once you get your first license, record the number from your Hunter Safety Course certificate and put the certificate some place safe. After your first license, they can issue a new license from the previous one.

When you get your license, put the replacement form some place safe. If your license gets lost or destroyed you can use that to get another one during the season.

My Hunter Safety Course was $20 so your YMMV

PatriotnMore
05-13-2010, 6:33 AM
I just wanted to add, although they can issue a new license if you have a previous one, some will not and require to see your completion certificate.

This is especially true if you go to hunt out of State. CO. for instance asks for your Hunter Safety cert # on the tag application, and I don't believe they allow for a previous license number to be used.

In any event, keep your cert in a safe place, as mentioned.

just a couple of additions here...I had to find out the hard way. :mad:

Most of those places can give you your license...if they have them. Try to find one of those stores or outfitters that always seems to have licenses available, i.e. they are usually available and don't run out.

Once you get your first license, record the number from your Hunter Safety Course certificate and put the certificate some place safe. After your first license, they can issue a new license from the previous one.

When you get your license, put the replacement form some place safe. If your license gets lost or destroyed you can use that to get another one during the season.

My Hunter Safety Course was $20 so your YMMV

tpuig
05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
As mentioned before, you need to take a Hunter Safety course. You can do that in person over a couple classroom sessions, or take it online. It's the same material. If you take it online, you will still need to attend a four hour classroom session with test, and then get your certificate. It's not hard, mostly common sense stuff. But you'll be glad you took it.

Here's some online class info. I took Hunter safety 30 years ago, but have no idea where the little slip of paper is to prove it. So I took it again last year. If you want to hunt out of state, you definitely need one. Old licenses allowed me to purchase a CA hunting license, but the other states needed an HSC.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes-home-study.aspx

With your certificate in hand, you can go to a sporting goods store or DFG office and purchase a $41.50 hunting license. I bought my 2010/2011 license today, along with an upland bird stamp, and two deer tag applications. This was at Big5 in Sunnyvale. Pig tags are $20 each and should be available soon. Ducks stamps usually appear later in the fall, closer to the duck season. Last season they were $18.85 for CA, and $15 Federal. Should be about the same or maybe a buck or two more this season.

Let us know where you are located, most folks here are very helpful about hunting.
Hope this helps.

nguyen831
05-14-2010, 9:47 AM
great, thanks for the info guys!

wjc
05-16-2010, 8:06 PM
I just wanted to add, although they can issue a new license if you have a previous one, some will not and require to see your completion certificate.

This is especially true if you go to hunt out of State. CO. for instance asks for your Hunter Safety cert # on the tag application, and I don't believe they allow for a previous license number to be used.

In any event, keep your cert in a safe place, as mentioned.

I wasn't aware of this as I haven't hunted outside CA or renewed my license yet. Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

tpuig
05-16-2010, 9:27 PM
I had to download a form from Hawaii and send a copy of my HSC. Then they sent me an auth code so I could buy a non resident license online. Took about two weeks. Most of the states I've looked at are the same way. So I just made a color copy of my HSC and keep it with my license.

nguyen831
05-19-2010, 4:59 AM
anyone recommend a cheap place to take my hunting safety course around garden grove?

CavTrooper
05-19-2010, 8:36 AM
Class locations, date and times are all listed on the DFG website. You can go to the bass pro in Rancho, and I think there is a DFG office near Garden Grove, dont remember exactly where.