View Full Version : How to Lock a Fixed AR rifle

03-10-2006, 6:26 PM
Hey guys i was just curious on how i would be able from point A (my house) to point B (the range) with my fixed mag AR. Where would i lock the cable from? Would it be legal if i just lock the case closed? Thanks

03-10-2006, 6:30 PM
I would treat a fixed/neutered AR like a real aw, lockable hard case.

03-10-2006, 7:02 PM
You can buy the Lock-Pro locks which lock around the trigger. $15 at Big 5, probably less on the net.

03-10-2006, 9:16 PM
Two possibilities....

Yank the bolt carrier and put a lock through the carrier making it so that it can't be reinserted into the rifle.

Or, crack the receivers and put a lock through the ejection port door so that the receivers can't be closed.

This would be for making access to the thing something akin to a trigger lock(hate trigger locks though).

For transport, a locked case with an unloaded rifle should be more than fine. That's the requirement for handguns/AWs.

03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
The locked case you guys are referring to for our CA legal AR's with fixed mags can be a soft, nylon case, right?

03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
While locking a rifle up for transport may be a good idea from a safety or theft standpoint, it is NOT REQUIRED for ordinary longguns! (which our ARs are, for the time being.

Only once they are formally declared AWs in CCR sec 917 will a locked case be required. (Pelican makes some way nice ones.)

03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I've just been using a cheap $19 nylon A2 case I got at a gun show with a padlock from ACE Hardware to lock the zipper to the case. Does the law specifically state materials or dimensions of cases for AWs?