PDA

View Full Version : Emeryville Police Chief Ken James Advocates Violating the Law

jdberger
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
You gotta love Emeryville's diminuitive Police Chief, Ken James.

First, he claims that proposed ordinances requiring fingerprinting for ammunition purchases, 24 hour surveillance for ammunition vendors and age restrictions for sporting goods stores are no more onerous than restrictions on burrito trucks or mattress stores....

Then he tries to intimidate citizens who attend a public meeting of the City Council by dispatching 15 officers to stand at the entrances to the building and the Chamber....

Then he claims that it's too much work for police to differentiate good guys from bad guys, so to make things "simpler", no civilian should be allowed guns...

And then he goes off endorsing an antiquated interpretation of the Second Amendment that's specifically illegal in California (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/kalw/detail?entry_id=63268)....

KEN JAMES: In my opinion the Second Ammendment was written to provide the ability of normal citizens to band together and form an army just like these militias are doing. So I believe the militias are totally supported by the Second Ammendment.

Cause, you see, according to Penal Code Sec. 11460 (http://law.justia.com/california/codes/pen/11460.html)

a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

But why should a Police Chief know the law?

Maybe he was too busy getting fingerprinted while buying tacos.... :rolleyes:

sniper5
05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Obviously he thinks his opinion counts for more than a supreme court decision.

glbtrottr
05-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Moron. We have another idiot like him but worse in Orange County.

Mikeb
05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I used too like Emeryville. I think they ruined it when they took out the rendering plant. The smell used to keep the yuppies at bay.
take care
Mike

bwiese
05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Ken James does more work for the Bradys than he does for Emeryville.

If there's a Brady gathering, he'll be there - on city time. He showed up to the DOJ hearing on microstamping with "gee this is a good thing" comments which had nothing to do with regulatory adoption.

If he keeps getting more press time, his diminutive non-martial appearance will likely attract criminals to Emeryville streets - they probably figure they can win a footrace with a bearded midget in Birkenstocks. (True, I've never seen him in Birkenstocks - but it certainly would fit the profile.)

jdberger
05-12-2010, 12:38 PM
If there's a Brady gathering, he'll be there - on city time.

Think that might be PRAR worthy?

I'd also be interested in any meetings he had with the LCAV folks prior to the Emeryville Ammo Ban meetings.....

ETA: and also notes from meetings with Saldana....

berto
05-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Perhaps an Emeryville Militia in the streets would help allay the fear of crime creep from Oakland?

gun toting monkeyboy
05-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Cause, you see, according to Penal Code Sec. 11460

"Quote:
a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment. "

Hey, wait. Isn't that unconstitutional as well? I thought we had freedom of association. And wouldn't something like that make all gun classes illegal? Also, aren't we all already considered to be part of the militia? Being adult males, able bodied (well, some of us) and armed?

sfpcservice
05-12-2010, 6:15 PM
Cause, you see, according to Penal Code Sec. 11460

"Quote:
a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment. "

Hey, wait. Isn't that unconstitutional as well? I thought we had freedom of association. And wouldn't something like that make all gun classes illegal? Also, aren't we all already considered to be part of the militia? Being adult males, able bodied (well, some of us) and armed?

Would the citizens militia even count as a "paramilitary organization"?

Ding126
05-12-2010, 6:24 PM
With all the UOC gatherings in the past few months..Emeryville should of been a priority to shake up the chief...total little man complex..emeryville or enemyville??

GrizzlyGuy
05-12-2010, 6:52 PM
And then he goes off endorsing an antiquated interpretation of the Second Amendment that's specifically illegal in California (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/kalw/detail?entry_id=63268)....

KEN JAMES: In my opinion the Second Ammendment was written to provide the ability of normal citizens to band together and form an army just like these militias are doing. So I believe the militias are totally supported by the Second Ammendment.

Cause, you see, according to Penal Code Sec. 11460 (http://law.justia.com/california/codes/pen/11460.html)

a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

It pains me greatly to have to come to the defense of Ken James, but in fairness, he's right. When you quoted 11460 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/11460.html), you left off the rest of (a) that defines "paramilitary organization". It is perfectly legal for us to form a militia as long as we don't do what I am bolding:

As used in this subdivision, "paramilitary organization" means an
organization which is not an agency of the United States government
or of the State of California, or which is not a private school
meeting the requirements set forth in Section 48222 of the Education
Code, but which engages in instruction or training in guerrilla
warfare or sabotage, or which, as an organization, engages in rioting
or the violent disruption of, or the violent interference with,
school activities.

His opinion on 2A isn't wrong either, it is just incomplete. One purpose of 2A was to let us form militias. So what he said is true. He obviously omits that an additional purpose was to let us keep and bear arms any danged time and in any manner that we like, but hey, at least he won't be busting us for lawfully hanging out together and practicing with our weapons.

OK, I did it, I defended Ken James. :puke: Is there a ban hammer in my future :eek: :o

RRangel
05-12-2010, 7:34 PM
You gotta love Emeryville's diminuitive Police Chief, Ken James.

First, he claims that proposed ordinances requiring fingerprinting for ammunition purchases, 24 hour surveillance for ammunition vendors and age restrictions for sporting goods stores are no more onerous than restrictions on burrito trucks or mattress stores....

Then he tries to intimidate citizens who attend a public meeting of the City Council by dispatching 15 officers to stand at the entrances to the building and the Chamber....

Then he claims that it's too much work for police to differentiate good guys from bad guys, so to make things "simpler", no civilian should be allowed guns...

Maybe he was too busy getting fingerprinted while buying tacos.... :rolleyes:

He's obviously a moron of infinite proportions. It appears that he's trying to argue that the Second Amendment should only have to meet rational basis scrutiny. That's the scrutiny in court used to argue where lunch trucks can park. This poor excuse for a sheriff thinks a fundamental right should be lumped in with lunch truck regulation. You should contact him after incorporation and tell him to have fun pounding sand.

Satex
05-12-2010, 7:48 PM

That's an argument that our pathetic excuse for law enforcement have been using successfully for decades. When I traveled to Israel, I saw civilians walking around with pistols, M4, M16, and more all the time. Law Enforcement there doesn't give a rats ... about it, neither to citizens. Guess how many LEO killings they have there by "armed citizens" - none.

We have whiny, power hungry, lazy, union driven LEA than forgot what their sworn duties are a long time ago, and to compensate for their incompetence, they turn to crowd control.

thedrickel
05-12-2010, 8:28 PM
I can't wait to see him get PWNT at the Commonwealth Club on the 26th.

N6ATF
05-12-2010, 9:03 PM
I'd rather see him in prison. Permanently. In the desert. For his tireless advocacy for criminals and criminal acts.

corrupt
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Ohhhh this is the guy who's going to be at the Commonwealth Club. Awesome.

tazmanian devil dog
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
what a douche nozzle!!

jdberger
05-20-2010, 11:03 AM
It pains me greatly to have to come to the defense of Ken James, but in fairness, he's right. When you quoted 11460 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/11460.html), you left off the rest of (a) that defines "paramilitary organization". It is perfectly legal for us to form a militia as long as we don't do what I am bolding:

<snip>

His opinion on 2A isn't wrong either, it is just incomplete. One purpose of 2A was to let us form militias. So what he said is true. He obviously omits that an additional purpose was to let us keep and bear arms any danged time and in any manner that we like, but hey, at least he won't be busting us for lawfully hanging out together and practicing with our weapons.

OK, I did it, I defended Ken James. :puke: Is there a ban hammer in my future :eek: :o

I guess I'll have to ask him if it's ok that a bunch of Calgunners are planning on gathering in Emeryville and practicing with weapons in front of his office. IIRC, there's a nice green lawn out there.

Fjold
05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
..emeryville or enemyville??

enemaville

N6ATF
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
This town needs an enema?

POLICESTATE
05-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I've only been to Emeryville once, it's just too damn close to Berkeley.