PDA

View Full Version : Hunters Safety Course

Jeff Rambo
03-10-2006, 6:16 PM
Me and a few friends are taking the HSC tomorrow morning (as long as I shake this stomach bug that keeps popping up by then). Is there anything that I should expect, pay close attention to, not worry too much about etc.?

I plan on bringing a notebook to take notes, is this a good idea or is it pretty much all just sit and listen type stuff?

C.G.
03-10-2006, 7:08 PM
Me and a few friends are taking the HSC tomorrow morning (as long as I shake this stomach bug that keeps popping up by then). Is there anything that I should expect, pay close attention to, not worry too much about etc.?

I plan on bringing a notebook to take notes, is this a good idea or is it pretty much all just sit and listen type stuff?

If you received your material, read it before you go in. That way it will be reinforced in the classroom and you should have no problems with the test. I think I missed 2 off the wall questions when I took mine; lot of it is common sense.

blacklisted
03-10-2006, 8:03 PM
I just took mine. Expect it to be INCREDIBLY EASY! I managed to get 100 percent on it (a few of the things on the test weren't covered though), and a 6-7 year old in the class passed. Find the most comfortable seat, and bring plenty of drinks and snacks. If you read the material in advance, it will be even easier.

Jeff Rambo
03-10-2006, 9:08 PM
Didn't receive the material in advance so I'll look it up online. Thanks for the tips.

The instructor is serving breakfast and lunch, but I'm sick so I will probably bring lots of water and something else to keep my upright until the day goes by.

Jeff Rambo
03-11-2006, 6:02 AM
Looks like I'll have more time to go over stuff because I'm not making it to the course today. I am far from feeling 100% like I thought I would by now and doubt I could last 10hrs without going to the head every 10 minutes. I hate canceling on stuff at the last minute :(

xYourLocalAR15x
03-11-2006, 2:26 PM
Looks like I'll have more time to go over stuff because I'm not making it to the course today. I am far from feeling 100% like I thought I would by now and doubt I could last 10hrs without going to the head every 10 minutes. I hate canceling on stuff at the last minute :(

hope you feel better. I've been feeling ill also... but, thats because i drank so much last night lol

dont worry about the test. 12 year olds were passing the test with no problem.

Jeff Rambo
03-11-2006, 3:57 PM
Thanks! It's my fault though. This is the 4th time in as many weeks that I've had stomach issues and it's because of something I am eating. I just don't know what exactly.

I am not worried about the test itself... I just want to make sure I pay attention to any relevant information that will serve me well once I actually go out hunting. I have heard the course is 90% fluff, 10% substance. I just want to know what the substance part is so I am on the look out for it.

03-11-2006, 8:41 PM
The course is valid and if you pay attention I think anybody could gain from it. I sat through it with my son last year as a volunteer range safety person since they actually got to shoot in the one he took. Mostly kids but a few adults punching the ticket to get a first hunting license and the majority passed first time, a handful had to sit and discuss a few things with the instructor before getting a pass, and a few just plain failed. I got a little refresher out of it and was glad I went as I then reinforced the high points the next weekend when my son and I went on a rabbit hunt. Good luck and be aware that most of it is common sense if you have much background with hunting and firearms.

supergimp
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm an experienced shooter, but not so experienced hunter. I actually learned a lot out of it...in spit eof the fact that the instructor fell asleep a few times during the class.

johnny_22
03-13-2006, 9:21 AM
May give you an idea as to what you know vs. what is expected:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/cgi-local/exam/practice.cgi?st=ca

I am still studying, and have not passed it, yet.

LOW2000
03-13-2006, 10:43 AM
If you take the HSC at the Insight Shooting range in Artesia, Rick will probably be your instructor, hes a good guy. While you're there, sign the RKBA petition!!