PDA

View Full Version : thinking of building an AR

cian
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
ok so I am new here and I am thinking of building an ar. What would be the best and most cost effective way to go about it?

pacrimguru
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
do a lot of homework here on calguns, shop around, buy used if possible (that seems to save people cash).

sfonelson
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I would say that before buying anything, spend at least two weeks on here just reading the different posts. I was in the same boat as you just a bit ago. I must have changed my mind half a dozen times on what I wanted to get before I actually purchased anything.

Full Clip
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
(1) Think about what you want do do with your AR. What's the mission? Target? HD? Hunting? All of the above?
(2) Determine your budget.
(3) Start researching the billions of choices and options.

cian
05-12-2010, 2:01 PM
thanks for the responses

i want something that can be used for SHTF and for hd......

Gio
05-12-2010, 2:22 PM
thanks for the responses

i want something that can be used for SHTF and for hd......

I would suggest not using an AR for HD but a Shotgun or a pistol of some sort instead ;)

Read up on different parts, buy used if possible, shop around. More than likely it will be cheaper to buy a lower at a local shop or from someone here.

Take care,

-Gio

Hoologan
05-12-2010, 2:31 PM
Buy a decent lower. ...Now you have 10 days to decide what you want to do with the rest of it. :)

Phil3
05-12-2010, 3:42 PM
I assume you really want to BUILD it, not just obtain an AR in the best and most cost effective way.

Regarding building, "best" way and most "cost effective" way may not align. I bought all the tools to put it together properly, which may be the best way, but perhaps not the most cost effective. You may want to ask if someone has tools or would be willing to put some parts together for you.

For parts selection, you must know what you want to use it for, to make any intelligent decision about buying anything. Saying I want an AR is like saying you want food. What kind, how much, budget, cold or hot, vegetarian or not, etc. You can make educated decisions on parts with the question of intended USE answered.

- Phil

HUND
05-12-2010, 4:14 PM
Get yourself a lower and buy a kit

That's what i did ...

S&W lower and a Del-ton 16" m4 kit

Total = $700

Then got out any buy a ton of ammo and have fun !

anniepoks
05-12-2010, 7:32 PM
Get yourself a lower and buy a kit

That's what i did ...

S&W lower and a Del-ton 16" m4 kit

Total = $700

Then got out any buy a ton of ammo and have fun !

way to go for a first build!
once you have an idea how to, bet you'll build another one.
you can be the rest of us with the "DISEASE" - have fun and welcome to Calguns! :)