PDA

View Full Version : Candidate Brad Goerhing - stupidly advocates "thinning the liberal herd"

Skidmark
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Another example of a tone-deaf candidate putting his foot in his mouth, and harming the image of rational gun owners and supporters of gun rights.

Congressional District 11 GOP candidate Brad Goehring is drawing fire for his confrontational Facebook statement today:

“If I could issue hunting permits, I would officially declare today opening day for liberals. The season would extend through November 2 and have no limits on how many taken as we desperately need to “thin” the herd.”

http://www.ibabuzz.com/politics/2010/05/11/cd11-goehring-wants-to-thin-liberal-herd/

It's unfortunate that any candidate would stoop so low as to suggest hunting and killing people who disagree with his/her politics, even in a pathetic attempt at humor. Unfortunately, it also plays into the hands of those who would portray us as looney gun nuts.

Doheny
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Not smart.

CCWFacts
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Ouch.

Stealth
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Gun Humor is tough espically in the political world where there is no sense of humor. He took a shot at it but missed.

zinfull
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
We say the same thing about tourist but then no ones listens to the average guy.

jerry

PEBKAC
05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
The only time this would be a non-suicidal idea is on April 1st. Even then I have my doubts... :pinch:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5857/gawdeffingdamit.png

bwiese
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Geezus, this guy just reelected McNerney.

Somebody needs to get the TeaPartiers under control or they're gonna reelect Obama in 2 yrs.

PaperPuncher
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Sounds to me that he just wants people to hunt with their voting hands. Pretty poor way to do it in light of the fact that libs will be looking for any sound bite or written word that may establish poor character but he never advocated killing anyone. It was actually a rather clever way to appeal to the shooting community without advocating violence. The guy just wants them out of office.

PatriotnMore
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Idiot!!!

bwiese
05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Also, this guy's name is "Goehring" (same pronunciation as "Goering" a la Hermann the Nazi).

Sometimes the CA Rs have a naming problem. Richard "Mountjoy" should never have been run as a candidate either.

advocatusdiaboli
05-12-2010, 1:19 PM
I expect a story on this to hit the HuffPo any day now. Sheesh. Let's see...Republican posting about hunting and gun violence against liberals on his Facebook page and perfectly timed for the floor vote in the Assembly on the "Open Carry Extermination Bill". He couldn't have timed it any better unless he posted a similar one about SCOTUS just before they announce their ruling on McDonald. Oops I hope I didn't give him an idea.

curtisfong
05-12-2010, 1:24 PM
I don't see the comment as a problem. Anybody who would find it insulting wouldn't vote for him had he not said it anyway.

By and large, I'm sure his supporters secretly agree with the sentiment (even the few who take it literally).

Dreaded Claymore
05-12-2010, 1:49 PM
Congressional District 11 GOP candidate Brad Goehring is drawing fire for his confrontational Facebook statement today:

“If I could issue hunting permits, I would officially declare today opening day for liberals. The season would extend through November 2 and have no limits on how many taken as we desperately need to “thin” the herd.”

I'm a flaming liberal. Hell, I voted for gay marriage and everything. And if he tries to thin me out, I'll shoot him. :nono:

Werewolf1021
05-12-2010, 1:56 PM
I'm a flaming liberal. Hell, I voted for gay marriage and everything. And if he tries to thin me out, I'll shoot him. :nono:

You're on fire? You should really get that checked. :D

advocatusdiaboli
05-12-2010, 2:07 PM
I don't see the comment as a problem

That's because you are a member of Calguns ;)
It's not your reaction, but the reaction of others less supportive we are concerned with--I believe you never, ever give your enemy ammunition.

unusedusername
05-12-2010, 2:43 PM
Geez, this guy is a nutter. In today's world he is probably going to be put on some kind of "watch list" or somesuch.

+1. I'm more libertarian then anything.

This group often makes the mistake of thinking that anyone pro-gun must be a conservative a-la the republican party's definition of conservatism.

Lets keep calguns a one-topic location so that we can all still agree :)

Skidmark
05-12-2010, 2:54 PM
Here's the KTVU story I caught part of last night:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23525147/detail.html

Thankfully, most see it as a stupid remark, and shun the premise that there's anything funny about hunting people. Nonetheless, it's damaging for gun owners and gun rights supporters. It takes time to build up good will on these issues, especially in the Bay Area and the 11th District, and then unthinking dolts set back the progress made.

yellowfin
05-12-2010, 2:57 PM
For whatever reason, if he was liberal and saying the same about conservatives it would probably make him a favorite and win by 20 points. Liberalism: if it weren't for double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

CCWFacts
05-12-2010, 3:02 PM
Gun Humor is tough espically in the political world where there is no sense of humor. He took a shot at it but missed.

I would say that anything that's about shooting people isn't humor and shouldn't be said even in joking, no matter what the context. As gun owners, if we say, "I'd like to shoot so-and-so", it's never funny, because we have the possibility of actually carrying it out.

b.faust
05-12-2010, 3:10 PM
Also, this guy's name is "Goehring" (same pronunciation as "Goering" a la Hermann the Nazi).

That's the first thing I noticed when I saw the headline as well, "Goehring."

Not the sort of name recognition you want...

abusalim81
05-12-2010, 8:33 PM
:rofl2:

WOW THATS HILARIOUS, I agree with him because mostly, it's the liberals who ruined this country, but that's not a smart thing to say!

RRangel
05-12-2010, 8:41 PM
For whatever reason, if he was liberal and saying the same about conservatives it would probably make him a favorite and win by 20 points. Liberalism: if it weren't for double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Absolutely true. The media would attempt to ignore it and you'd never hear it again. The fifth column is working for the left.

a1c
05-12-2010, 8:41 PM
Now that's a big boat of fail right there.

a1c
05-12-2010, 8:42 PM
Absolutely true. The media would attempt to ignore it and you'd never hear it again. The fifth column is working for the left.

And now you're starting to sound just like him.

RRangel
05-12-2010, 8:47 PM
And now you're starting to sound just like him.

What's a matter? You don't like me spelling out the obvious? You better be careful because I'm hardly trying.

a1c
05-12-2010, 9:43 PM
What's a matter? You don't like me spelling out the obvious? You better be careful because I'm hardly trying.

I can tell.

Ed_in_Sac
05-13-2010, 8:34 AM
Zipped lips, not saying a thing! :rockon:

C.W.M.V.
05-13-2010, 9:27 AM
Where can I file for one of his hunting permits? Would it be cool to use FMJBT/surplus or would I need soft point ammo?

OlderThanDirt
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Sometimes the CA Rs have a naming problem. Richard "Mountjoy" should never have been run as a candidate either.

Dick Mountjoy sounds quite electable in places like Palm Springs, West Hollywood and San Francisco.

BluNorthern
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Keith Olbermann was running the story last night..it'll probably be on all the MSNBC tongue waggers agendas today. In todays instant news world I can't believe people in the public eye say crap like this, yet they do it everyday. This stuff is steak and potatoes to the liberal media.

Skidmark
05-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Where can I file for one of his hunting permits? Would it be cool to use FMJBT/surplus or would I need soft point ammo?

So not cool. Goerhing's comments were beyond the pale, and deserve neither support nor admiration.

goodlookin1
05-13-2010, 1:25 PM
If you take his comments literally, which no doubt the libs will do to support their agenda, then yeah....the comments were terrible.

If you take them metaphorically, as they should properly be taken, this is no different than Sarah Palin putting a crosshair on the next political target in a picture depicting what and where they will be focusing their efforts on. It's blatantly obvious that there is no intention of killing their political opponent....it's just a way of expressing who they're (politically) fighting against.

I cannot think of a better metaphor than the one Goehring gave to describe their goals this year. It accurately depicts what conservatives are "metaphorically" trying to do this election season: Take out as many liberals in the political arena as possible, and bury them for good (in a political sense). Yeah, the language used probably wasnt the smartest given the current political climate and ridiculous thirst for political correctness, but people need to get over themselves.....no one can take a frickin joke anymore. You take an issue that already "sensitive" to libs (guns), then you make a joke about it and turn it around on them, and their all "up in arms" about it. As if we havent heard anything crass from the other side.....(think reaaaallly hard....[hint: Ammiano]....you dont see the Left giving him crap for the garbage that man spews out, do you?). Conservatives are already taking flak from the Left over this comment....let's not add fuel to the fire from our own side.

United we stand, divided we fall.

robcoe
05-13-2010, 1:45 PM
All I can say is he has to be a complete :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :censored: idiot

Flopper
05-13-2010, 2:00 PM

You'll never convince a liberal that there is a liberal media bias because they agree with everything the mainstream media says.

They don't see it as bias, they just see it as "truth."

mattmcg
05-22-2010, 9:54 PM
Well, from my quick scan of the issues on each person's website, Tony Amador seems to be a strong 2A supporter and has openly posted these statements on his website and candidate statement. Details are vague but he is the only one stating such.

I've sent an email to David Harmer but have not received a reply. Hopefully we will gain some insight into his background.

Sinixstar
05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a simple question to ask.

If Obama, Pelosi, Reid, or any other liberal in office stood up - and said it was time to 'thin the heard' of conservatives, would the reaction be "that was a poor choice of words" - or would some of you be stockpiling ammo?

It's an asinine thing to say, period. There's no excuse, there's no way to justify it or rationalize it. It's unacceptable that anyone seeking public office would make statements like this.

MSO4MATT
05-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow what a great leader, let's divide the country even more and joke about violence. Not cool.

Roadrunner
05-22-2010, 11:51 PM
That was kind of dumb. The liberals are keeping their numbers down by aborting their children, and getting into homosexual relationships where they can't breed. Maybe that's why the liberal Dems want to give the vote to illegal aliens. Unfortunately they haven't totally stopped multiplying.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe he thought his last name is Goering.

Apocalypsenerd
05-23-2010, 1:45 PM
This is just way too politically correct for me. People need thicker skins. The only time something like this would be an issue for me, is if he meant it.

There is hypocrisy in the political arena though. John Kerry made some remark about getting Bush shotor wanting him to die, and the media made very little noise about it. Sarah Palin puts crosshairs over congressional districts on her website, and the media goes bonkers for a week.

It's just a small double standard.

Nachoman
05-23-2010, 6:32 PM
Meh, it's the same overreaction that many calgunners had when that cop joked about proning any open carriers out and getting two weeks off if any of them made any moves. Ultimately it's a poorly designed joke that anyone with an agenda will jump on, regardless of which side you're on.

CCWFacts
05-23-2010, 6:35 PM
Meh, it's the same overreaction that many calgunners had when that cop joked about proning any open carriers out and getting two weeks off if any of them made any moves. Ultimately it's a poorly designed joke that anyone with an agenda will jump on, regardless of which side you're on.

Some topics you can't joke about. Gun owners in general shouldn't joke about shooting people. LEOs should not joke about murdering the people they are supposed to be serving and protecting. The reason why these types of jokes are not jokes is because there is a possibility of the person saying it actually carrying it out. These types of comments should be taken at face value.

MSO4MATT
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Set aside poorly thought out jokes, no leader needs to darken in political lines. Politicians should stay away from attacking labels or party affiliations. Stick to the issues. Take a stand and make your case on the issues. Blanket statements regarding conservative/liberal or democrat/republican rarely if ever apply to the whole group. So when a politician goes out and does this they really just isolate themselves and shrink the population they appeal to. It's a loser of a habit to get into.

Nachoman
05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Some topics you can't joke about. Gun owners in general shouldn't joke about shooting people. LEOs should not joke about murdering the people they are supposed to be serving and protecting. The reason why these types of jokes are not jokes is because there is a possibility of the person saying it actually carrying it out. These types of comments should be taken at face value.

I agree, those comments should be taken at face value... a joke. It's obvious it was a joke and there's no way to interpret it otherwise. Now as a politician, he should have known better. There are different standards for a politician than a layman.

Sinixstar
05-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree, those comments should be taken at face value... a joke. It's obvious it was a joke and there's no way to interpret it otherwise. Now as a politician, he should have known better. There are different standards for a politician than a layman.

The problem is - there's just no funny way to take a comment like that in the current political climate. You have to take "jokes" in a broader context then the comments themselves.

It would be like a prominent pro-choice politician making an abortion joke. There's just really no way to do it in a way that's even remotely funny or even mildly acceptable.

santacruzstefan
05-24-2010, 1:07 AM

You know, I've actually thought about getting into politics once I get out of school with my law degree, but my last name is also a concern. Sure, its relatively common in Germany, and even in this country, but its association with the Nazis might hurt me. I don't particularly want to write it out on a public forum, but lets just say it comes after Third...

What this guy said was stupid, but you can't blame folks for their last name. I for one am proud of my heritage, and the fact that both my grandfathers fought in the Navy (Pacific theater) during the war. But you better believe I caught a lot of s*** for my name during various history classes growing up.