PDA

View Full Version : Dented 5.56x45 ammo... unsafe to fire?

NDFMF
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I ordered a bulk pack of 1000 rounds of the Lake City SS109 62gr Penetrator ammo from CTD and I have a question about it.

I've been slowly unpacking it and loading it onto stripper clips for use later, and so far, about 1% of the rounds have been damaged due to the bulk pack. One round had a hole punctured completely through the brass, so it's obviously dead, but one or two others have dents and dings in them that make me wonder if they are safe to shoot.

So, fellow shooters, weigh in. How much of a dent/nick/scrape in the brass would you be willing to accept before you considered the round unsafe to fire? Does location make a difference, ie on the neck versus on the side of the case?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'd rather know for sure and not have one of these rounds explode in my face. I'm guessing it's not safe, but I'd like to know for sure from someone who has a little more knowledge on the subject than myself.

On a related note, I noticed that all of my once-fired brass from my AR has a very slight dent in the case from what I can only assume is the extractor ripping it out pretty hard. The brass always flies forward. Is this stuff safe to reload?

tomd1584
05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Most of my brass gets slightly dented after shooting. Shouldn't be a problem to reload and shoot.

1% of 1,000 round is only 10, that's not too bad.

tomd1584
05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I meant to add and saythat most my ammo gets scraped and slightly dented when it's loaded in metal mags. Unless it's severe, it shouldn't be a problem.

pacrimguru
05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
i've fired dented casings without any problems.

NSR500
05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I've fired dented ammo as well without incident. Just remember to trust your gut! If it just don't feel right, don't do it.
As for dented brass... Never shoot anything you'd like to reload out of an HK 9x series. That thing is a brass dsetroyer. ;)

Full Clip
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I avoid dented cases if the trouble spot is deep or around the shoulder of the neck...

NDFMF
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll inspect what's leftover after I load all the good stuff up and see how bad the damage looks. The ones that are dented at the case neck are the ones that worry me the most. I will probably just pitch those.

Nessal
05-12-2010, 1:23 PM
Small dings usually gets worked out after thy are fired

doughboy334
05-12-2010, 1:45 PM
i've fired dented casings without any problems.

Me too! Then the cartridge case expands and the dent is gone!

Gatotsu77
12-02-2012, 2:05 AM
Please forgive the thread necromancy; this seemed relevant to the topic discussed here, and I couldn't justify starting a new thread.

I'm building myself my first AR15 - still sittin on a stripped lower, but it will be coming together. I did buy myself a couple boxes of Federal XM193 as a motivator. I was looking over one box of the ammo, and found 2 rounds with dents near the shoulder of the casing. To what I've read, this shouldn't be much of a problem, but I figure, why not consult the hive-mind? (sorry in advance for a crummy cell phone picture)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/animefan73/Random%20Stuff/dents.jpg

Safe to shoot? Am I being a little too precautious here?

gunboat
12-02-2012, 2:13 AM
Probably -- but will it chamber?

Gatotsu77
12-02-2012, 2:57 AM
I'll have to get back to you on that one once I buy an upper and get the lower built. (about to order the LPK and the such, but I haven't got the cash to buy the upper just yet) I wouldn't attempt to shoot any rounds that don't chamber, but if they do chamber, it is likely ok to pull the trigger?

zomie
12-02-2012, 3:21 AM
Doesn't scare me any ... most small dents will fire form out without issue. If it doesn't chamber then it won't shoot :)

Just like mentioned before if you don't trust it, don't shoot it.

Wrangler John
12-02-2012, 4:23 AM
Dents in cases happen, if they do not involve creases where the brass is folded tightly, they will iron out when fired. The worse flaw is in new unloaded brass where the shoulder is dented and folded into the neck, which means the neck is either already split or will split when loaded or fired. These are culls.

Below is a photo of a wildcat cartridge that was fired with too mild a fire forming charge. The left case is properly formed. The cartridge is the .35-348 Winchester Ackley Improved. In firearms, brass cases are just metallic balloons.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Wrangler-John/AckleyBrass.jpg

Because the charge did not produce enough pressure to force the case against the chamber and create a seal, gas leaked back from the neck and dented the case. Both cases could be reloaded and fired, but they make better examples of what pressures that are too low can do. The case is rimmed, so it headspaces on the rim. It was fired in a Siamese Mauser so there was little danger.

This is the same mechanism that certain semi and fully automatic roller locked delayed blowback actions use with fluted chambers, such as the HK G3/HK91. Gas enters along the chamber flutes as the action unlocks and helps extract the case. Every case fired in these rifles is dented as part of firing.

So, the dents you show are insignificant and not a problem. :)

dg29
12-02-2012, 5:11 AM
^^^
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I ran across a couple of 5.56 rounds the other day in the safe that I'd set aside. They had slight dents in the same area that the casings you've posted had. The two that yo've posted I would have never considered firing. Next time I get to the range those two of mine are going in the chamber.
Many thanks, :thumbsup:

tanakasan
12-02-2012, 9:23 AM

What dents? Those are fine. Shoot it, unless they are scary deep or big or that it won't chamber. Use your good judgement. A couple rounds of ammo are cheap, don't risk yours or your rifle's safety for a few cents.

Robert

Rorge Retson
12-02-2012, 9:46 AM
Some of my XD193F that comes in 20-round boxes looks the same. Not worried about it one bit.

Chrisc308
12-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Please forgive the thread necromancy; this seemed relevant to the topic discussed here, and I couldn't justify starting a new thread.

I'm building myself my first AR15 - still sittin on a stripped lower, but it will be coming together. I did buy myself a couple boxes of Federal XM193 as a motivator. I was looking over one box of the ammo, and found 2 rounds with dents near the shoulder of the casing. To what I've read, this shouldn't be much of a problem, but I figure, why not consult the hive-mind? (sorry in advance for a crummy cell phone picture)

I would say shoot em unless they are serious dents.

I buy bulk reloaded ammo and probably 10% have small dents in the brass that are that around that size, some bigger. I've shot them all and had no problems

durandal
12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Id shoot it as long as it isnt so deformed that it wont chamber..

JeremyKX
12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Those dents are fine.

You have to remember. Lake City Federal ammo is their reject ammo. It works fine but they rejected that ammo for various reasons.

However, I have shot ~1500 rounds of it with zero FTE or FTF.

Exodus343
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM

your GTG, once you shoot the round the explosion will form the brass without dents again