PDA

View Full Version : Bedside gun safe

filefish
03-10-2006, 1:31 PM
I did a search and found 3 threads that touched on the subject and I am looking for more specific help. Right now I keep my home defense weapon in my sock drawer. I have a 9 month old baby and this won’t work anymore. I would like a box I can mount to the side of my bed to hold my pistol. I need to be able to get my gun quick at night and it has to be secure so my kid won’t get in. Money is tight but my family’s safety is #1

it amazes me over 500 hits on this poll and les than 30 votes?

grammaton76
03-10-2006, 1:57 PM
I would like a box I can mount to the side of my bed to hold my pistol. I need to be able to get my gun quick at night and it has to be secure so my kid won’t get in.

I haven't seen any that mount to the SIDE, but I've seen a number of them that clamp to the bottom of your bed frame. Mechanical is the way to go btw, you don't want to be looking for a key or find that you have dead batteries if you need it...

bear308
03-10-2006, 2:09 PM
While not a fan of having a gun withing a step of the bed these work really well.
http://www.vlineind.com/html/hide-away.html
maybe you could mount it to the bottom of the frame.

bodyarmorguy27
03-10-2006, 2:14 PM
I use a mini GunVault with the AA batteries. The batteries will supposedly last for a year. It has a key in case the batteries go dead. There is also a deluxe model that has an AC adapter and an interior light, I think.

I remove my pistol from it daily, so I would know when the batteries are going bad.

I'm very happy with it. The door is spring loaded and I can get to it fast.

You can probably mount it to your bed by means of screws or by security cable.

badwolf
03-10-2006, 2:15 PM
I'd be very interested in suggestions in this area as well. I was even thinking of a double approach. bedside safe for a handgun, and another one in the closet or something for a shotgun.

I know that mechanical lock reasoning is very logical about the batteries, but the ones I've tried at gunshows...I think i'd end up fumbling with it in the dark? Does it get less awkward with practice? I also concern about the combo. If you make it something secure, might be harder to use...but if you use patterned "chords" etc, then would be easier for people to figure out? Maybe I'm overthinking this thing. I wish the biometric units had a mechanical lock backup system.

grammaton76
03-10-2006, 2:35 PM
I know that mechanical lock reasoning is very logical about the batteries, but the ones I've tried at gunshows...I think i'd end up fumbling with it in the dark? Does it get less awkward with practice?

I think there's a big difference in handling between the uber-cheap mechanical ones (gunshows are usually really big on this) and the moderately priced ones. The ones I've seen at retail stores (Iron Sights in Oceanside) weren't bad, but there's some I've seen at the Del Mar gun show which felt rattly, etc.

filefish
03-10-2006, 5:16 PM
At first I was leaning toward the minivault deluxe as it has a key, electronic combo and battery with external power supply and a tamper alarm. This one is looking promising

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6041162535&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But it is twice the price

filefish
03-10-2006, 5:31 PM
At first I was leaning toward the minivault deluxe as it has a key, electronic combo and battery with external power supply and a tamper alarm. This one is looking promising

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6041162535&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But it is twice the price

filefish
03-10-2006, 5:32 PM
I found it cheeper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6042980588

$207 +s&h 6 bucks for me

filefish
03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
ok i just ordered this one biometric handgun safe (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=6042980588) I will give a report when i get it

socalsteve
03-16-2006, 1:59 PM
Looks good let us know how it works

Also, let us know if the inside depth is really 1 1/2 inch - I'm guessing thats a typo.

filefish
03-17-2006, 3:29 PM
Looks good let us know how it works

Also, let us know if the inside depth is really 1 1/2 inch - I'm guessing thats a typo.

I got it today wow that was fast shipping he used priority from redondo about 60 miles from anaheim. I like it it works nicely seems to be constructed well it would not stop a 10 Lb sledge hamer but you aint going to get in it with a screwdriver. it has an external power port that you can just plug in an 9 v battery 2 spare keys and a 4' cable you can wrap around your bed frame or somthing. I will update agin in a week or so after I have been using it. the only problem I have is it has to beeb twice to open it. once when you activate it and once more about a seccond later when it authorizes and unlocks. it holds my walther p99 or tauras tracker (simaler to a s&w 686) nicely

filefish
03-22-2006, 2:15 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else got one of these? I am prety impressed. I wonder if it is legal to transport my handgun in it as there is no key or combo

mblat
03-22-2006, 3:11 PM
I don't like biotechs. It often fails to open if finger not aligned perfectly.... and I can't expect to do so in the dark in panic situation.
So I have electrinic lock/bio combination. And if I've decided not even try to use bio if time comes...

filefish
03-27-2006, 6:06 AM
it dose fail to read my finger about 1 in 10 times. I never sat down and read the instructions I may just need to reprogram it. weh it fails I just scan agin it only takes a seccond

I don't like biotechs. It often fails to open if finger not aligned perfectly.... and I can't expect to do so in the dark in panic situation.
So I have electrinic lock/bio combination. And if I've decided not even try to use bio if time comes...

Irv
03-30-2006, 7:16 PM
I have a Sentry Safe that is electronic pad, Bio and has a key to lock out the pad.
I use it for my passport and a couple guns to store only. I would not trust it as a emergency gun safe. I played with it trying to simulate emergency and the Bio will not work if the finger is not in the correct area that was programed. It will time out after the 3rd try. It is good as you can push in the key stem and the combo or bio won't work when you go on vacation.

Irv

filefish
03-31-2006, 4:52 PM
failure in an emergancy is definately a consern. with the way my wife stuffs things a key is definately out, combos are great, I have to use one about 10 times a day to get around in my office. unfortunatly for me I have about 4 combos depending on what door I am going through. somtimes I get to the door and just draw a blank for about 20 secconds. maby i am just getting old but I know I mess it up every other day or so. that is why I went with the bio.. I am not saying the bio is right for anyone else but for me it makes sence. I reprogrammed it and practiced high stress opening and it is much better now. fails about 1 in 15

rdibley
04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
As far as I've seen, there are two types of fingerprint scanners: The pad types like the one on the "biometric handgun safe" in the past few posts, where you place your finger on a pad to scan it. The other types are the swipe readers, where the reader is a slit that you swipe your finger over. Here's an example of a PC swipe scanner:

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&storeId=10000001&productId=4611686018425003211&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73

I started out looking for a biometric handgun safe, but all I could find are the pad types. I've heard that the pad types can be fooled using Playdoh somehow (didn't get the details on exactly how), or after a valid user uses the scanner, apparently you can place a plastic bag full of water over the scanner pad, which somehow highlights the fingerprint the valid user just left on the scanner to "reuse" his fingerprint.

I don't know how realistic either of these scenarios are, but they've made me think twice about the pad type fingerprint scanners. Has anybody seen a swipe type scanner on any gun safe?

Until I find one of those (that works reliably), I'm going with the GunVault. I've read the manual and it appears as if a lot of thought went into that one. It would be nice if that company came up with a biometric / keypad / key version of the GunVault.

shopkeep
04-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Isteki is VERY cool, I've seen them before at The Gun Room. You won't be disappointed and your family will be safe.

chunger
04-27-2006, 3:25 AM
I have a gunvault. . . the 8 AA batteries have thus far lasted 3 years. I'm going to change them now, but there is a warning light that blinks if batteries are low. They haven't blinked yet.

-'Chung

bu-bye
04-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I have a gunvault. . . the 8 AA batteries have thus far lasted 3 years. I'm going to change them now, but there is a waring light that blinks if batteries are low. They haven't blinked yet.

-'Chung

Same here. Same batteries for the past 3-4 years with no blinking light yet. I love mine and plan to get another one (double stack) soon.

repete34
04-27-2006, 5:45 PM
With the Bio (isteki / secure logic) nobody can make you open it.

If they slap your wife or kids you would give them the combo. With a bio, you just have offset your finger and it won't open. Tell them it's your brother's and you don't know what is in it.

Change the battery on your birthday or when you change the one in the smoke detector. V-line safes are also nice.

Gunvault while popular I feel are over rated. They are not bad just over rated.

Keys and dial combos are just to slow.

Keep the finger movements and things to remember at a minimum.

JiminCA
05-02-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the amsec boxes that are often sold at Turner's.

As seen in the upper right hand corner of this page: http://www.amsecusa.com/hand-gun-safes.htm

Mine don't have the silly scrollwork company name on them. Just a nice powder coat finish.

I have a couple. They use the sentry lock that has five buttons in a row. Very tactile to feel in the dark, no batteries to fail, and a solid foam lined metal box. They run about 100 bucks.

FreedomIsNotFree
05-13-2006, 4:22 AM
This V-line Compact 279-S works great for me. I keep my 9mm in there at all times. Its small enough to tote around in my backpack and I often keep it on my passenger seat with a loaded clip in the center console. Only takes me about 6 seconds to unlock it and load it.

http://www.vlineind.com/html/compact.html

CALI-gula
05-13-2006, 1:12 PM
Watz rong wit stashin it under da matress? Yo homz, dat wrks gud fo mi crak! Stonecold killer needs kwik axces dawg! Glock fotay in da house! :D

ETD1010
05-13-2006, 1:30 PM
I use a mini GunVault with the AA batteries. The batteries will supposedly last for a year. It has a key in case the batteries go dead. There is also a deluxe model that has an AC adapter and an interior light, I think.

I remove my pistol from it daily, so I would know when the batteries are going bad.

I'm very happy with it. The door is spring loaded and I can get to it fast.

You can probably mount it to your bed by means of screws or by security cable.

I have the same safe, and I've had the batteries last 2-3 years at a time. I open it ever week or so, and would recommend changing the batteries every year just to b safe. You can tell the batteries are dying by the sound of the beeps it makes when you punch in your code. The frequency will fall enough to hear, so make sure you know what it sounds like on a good set of batteries. I also like that it was a function to see if anyone else has entered a false code, so you can tell if anyone was 'playing' with it; not to mention the ability to have an annoying alarm go off is someone moves it and doesn't enter the right code.

five.five-six
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
failure in an emergancy is definately a consern. with the way my wife stuffs things a key is definately out, combos are great, I have to use one about 10 times a day to get around in my office. unfortunatly for me I have about 4 combos depending on what door I am going through. somtimes I get to the door and just draw a blank for about 20 secconds. maby i am just getting old but I know I mess it up every other day or so. that is why I went with the bio.. I am not saying the bio is right for anyone else but for me it makes sence. I reprogrammed it and practiced high stress opening and it is much better now. fails about 1 in 15

are you still using this biometric? do you still like it?

rkt88edmo
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Mechanical combo is a little too broad, I would add "Simplex lock" to your poll.