PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm trying to build SVD Dragunov.

richardk1911
05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Hello fellow calgunners

I'm not sure it's illegal or not but I have been collecting Russian SVD parts for

sometime now from gun broker and other sites online.

I have Romy PSL and loving it now I would like to try the original The Great

mother russian's SVD

But the master pieces the Milled SVD receiver and SVD barrel ,I just can not

locate them. Is there anyone who have done it before?

I seriously need some advise.

I mean any kind of advise Please...........

http://www.imt.net/~mele/images/dragunov1.gif

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/viviho3/0509/n12.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/viviho3/0509/n13.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/viviho3/svd_3.jpg

69Mach1
05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
There are simply NO receivers, at all. You're better off starting with a Tiger and installing the Dragunov parts. Or pay out the behind for a real Russian one.

Barabas
05-12-2010, 7:46 AM
There's nothing illegal about collecting parts, it's not a firearm until there is a receiver involved.

69Mach1 knows what he's talking about. I've got everything except for the internals, receiver and barrel too, but that's just a Tigr away. I've you've been able to drop coin for parts, you can be patient and wait for the right opportunity to drop coin on a Tigr. There are some out there that have the full length barrel and it's a simple swap of parts to put your military GB and FSB/FH on.

Edit: Once you've finally got it together, PM here. I just might have a packet of 7N1 to send you, if you have a mailing address outside of L.A. You gotta have the right ammo!

sd1023x
05-12-2010, 8:13 AM
http://www.dragunov.net/rifles.html

Some good info on importation of Dragunov models.

richardk1911
05-12-2010, 9:44 AM
Yeah I have been spending several week end nights to find the receiver:dots: CNC warrior makes AK milled receiver but only no other:toetap05:. I can't afford $5000 for a rifle at this stage:cuss:.
But everybody saying SVD or NDM is much more accurate. My PSL is ok but very inconsistent. I did every thing I could do get better except changing to new black furnitures. Trigger is broken in very smooth Soon I'm getting X 8 scope and there was a lot of instructions to read and watch. May be I'm expecting too much for PSL.:whistling:

darkest2000
05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
The CHEAPEST and BEST way right now would be either:

1.Buy a Russian Tigr and retrofit it with whatever SVD parts you've gathered. You won't have the correct full length barrel.

2.Forget about the parts you already got, just get a Chinese NDM-86 and be done with it.

IMO #2 is the best route, NDM-86 comes already with all the "correct" features that a real SVD would have, meaning full length barrel, all evil features (bayonet lug, flash hider), full military laminated wood furniture, no need for any gunsmithing or messing with replacing parts.

And if you look hard enough you can find one for under $3k.

Another bonus you get with by going with the NDM-86 instead of the Tigr is that they have the magazine well lightening cut milled, which are found on early Russian SVDs but omitted in the early 90's. That means you get a cosmetically more authentic looking SVD by getting the NDM, that is if you're going for the retro look. And cost is way less.

richardk1911
05-12-2010, 2:52 PM
Yeah That was what I was thinking in the beginning get NDM and get over it

But SVD seems to be a better rifle than NDM they say not just because it's from Russia

I even thought about converting my PSL to SVD with the parts I got yep I'm crazy

After all Chrysler and Dodge same motor right ? Have anyone ever attempt that ?

cut off the piston rod on PSL and put SVD gas chamber and piston kit on the PSL.

Down size the gas nozzle on the barrel do a little bit of receiver fabrication

Does it sounds too crazy?

richardk1911
05-12-2010, 9:38 PM
Yeah I think I'm crazy I need time out thinking about SVD

darkest2000
05-13-2010, 12:38 AM
I have no idea where you got the impression that the NDM-86 is somehow inferior to a real SVD, let along a Russian Tigr. Everything I've read has indicated that there are no differences in performance.

Remember that a Tigr is built from the start to be a "hunting rifle", not as a true military sniper. Aside from not being Russian made, a NDM-86 will be closer to a real SVD than a Tigr ever will.

I will admit that Russian rifles have a bit nicer finish and cleaner exterior machining, but again neither of which affects performance.

I've been in your situation before and this is my conclusion.

Lastly, please do not build a bastard halfass SVD out of a PSL. Comrade Dragunov would be rolling in his grave.

Barabas
05-13-2010, 8:52 AM
Richard, do you have all of the gas system, trigger and BCG parts? If you do, PM me.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-13-2010, 8:58 AM
wait... so you weren't sure about the legality but bought the parts anyways? that's not a great way to build a gun. research it first next time.

wksun88
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
wait... so you weren't sure about the legality but bought the parts anyways? that's not a great way to build a gun. research it first next time.

:rolleyes:

richardk1911
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes I have the gas chamber and piston kit I think you can still find one from Gun broker.

I'm keeping them just in case I get hold of SVD barrel and receiver.

I got most of the parts beside of them.

Yes Mike I give up on SVD halpass I need time out I'm only 35 I got another 35 years to find one( I hope :gene: )

motorhead
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
you can't really build it out of a psl. totally different guns. psl is more closely related to the rpk. you could build a clone. it would be strictly cosmetic.

Barabas
05-13-2010, 1:11 PM
I don't want one, or yours, I was just asking a question regarding the receiver internals you have on hand for measurement and picture taking purposes...

richardk1911
05-13-2010, 3:14 PM
WELL THAT'S NOT GONNA HURT.

BY THE WAY WHY YOU NEED THE PICTURES ?

IF YOU GO ON GUN BROKERS THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM.

Barabas
05-13-2010, 3:30 PM
I don't think the guys on gunbroker are going to help me recreate a receiver from parts measurements. But that's okay, I've got enough projects on my plate right now, I don't really need to take on another.

Someone with more resources than me might just get around to making an American SVD receiver and not ask for your first born child. I only hope it ends up being NDS.

berg
05-13-2010, 3:43 PM
The US-made receiver thing has been tried at least once and nothing ever came of it. Too much $$ involved in reverse-engineering plus the fact that the design might be patented.

Just to make sure everyone understands, there is no possible way to "convert" a PSL to a SVD. Not one single part will interchange and if you start cutting up parts to make them fit you'll end up wasting a lot of money and creating scrap metal.

It sounds like you are simply unsatisfied with the accuracy of your PSL. Have you considered just making a Saiganov? A Saiga or Vepr in .308 can be made to shoot better than a PSL and for vastly less money than trying to build up your own SVD.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=26040
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/saiga-308-accuracy-not-bad-ak-18599/

Barabas
05-13-2010, 4:14 PM
I've never heard of any serious efforts to replicate it, can you give some hints if this was ever discussed in an open forum? I've seen airsoft dorks dream about doing so, but never saw any real movement beyond exchanging electrons.

I'm not sure how a patent would work considering the design is 52 years old and was designed behind the Iron Curtain. Even so, what's to prevent 80% receivers being made? If they are finished for personal use, there's nothing a patent can protect/prevent.

berg
05-13-2010, 5:00 PM
I've never heard of any serious efforts to replicate it, can you give some hints if this was ever discussed in an open forum? I've seen airsoft dorks dream about doing so, but never saw any real movement beyond exchanging electrons.

I'm not sure how a patent would work considering the design is 52 years old and was designed behind the Iron Curtain. Even so, what's to prevent 80% receivers being made? If they are finished for personal use, there's nothing a patent can protect/prevent.

The first attempt that comes to mind was DPMS. Their head engineer (or whatever they called him) attempted to make this happen about 10 years ago. He said since they can have barrels made very easily and cheaply it motivated him to have a receiver done as well. After several months of examining samples he dropped the idea but I don't remember the specific reason why (no money or time or both).

Since there are no bulk parts kits available anywhere none of the big makers will do it because it would require fabricating so many tiny parts. The end result would cost more than most people would ever want to pay.

A nice alternative might be the Zastava M-91 which should be able to be imported. In very basic terms it's a milled PSL. But so far EAA is not importing them even in kit form.

richardk1911
05-13-2010, 5:19 PM
The patent protection wouldn't work here in US and who is going rise claim the Izhmash?

I doubt it Chinese NDM is also an copy ?

CNC warrior's been making 3 kinds of AK receivers selling it to public why not SVD?

There are a lot of loose SVD parts laying around surplus shops all over Unite states .

If some one start to bring them or build in US.

They will make killing .

Since, they are on the movies all the time there are so many people wants SVD or NDM.

They are sold way over priced and end up cheaper getaway like me PSL .

If you are a shooter, you know SVD or NDM's

are much better rifles .

Barabas
05-13-2010, 5:26 PM
Milled is where it's at with the modern 7.62Russian semi-autos. That's my main desire for the SVD, the solid, milled receiver. It could have been a real contender on the world stage against the FAL if it had ever been fielded in sufficient numbers in any of the hot spots the FAL found action.

Given the number of overpriced parts available on Gunbroker from the former Soviet republics, I'm convinced that if one of the distributors could be shown that importation of parts isn't illegal, we'd be sitting waist deep in kits. They're just sitting there waiting for someone to buy, according to one British dealer who imports them into his country and builds them into single shots.

drummerdude1188
05-13-2010, 9:07 PM
The patent protection wouldn't work here in US and who is going rise claim the Izhmash?

I doubt it Chinese NDM is also an copy ?

CNC warrior's been making 3 kinds of AK receivers selling it to public why not SVD?

There are a lot of loose SVD parts laying around surplus shops all over Unite states .

If some one start to bring them or build in US.

They will make killing .

Since, they are on the movies all the time there are so many people wants SVD or NDM.

They are sold way over priced and end up cheaper getaway like me PSL .

If you are a shooter, you know SVD or NDM's

are much better rifles .

I dont think you really get it, the SVD has no interchangeable parts with an AK, and there are not "lots" or parts floating around the US. Most of what you see on GB is grey market imports that sneak through customs. The guns were imported in very small numbers thats why they cost so much. Its not simply a matter of some one making a milled receiver. This is never going to happen, enjoy your PSL or pony up for a real SVD/Tigr/NDM, there is no in between.

richardk1911
05-13-2010, 10:20 PM
You may be right after all it's not like the match M14 precision rifle. I have heard from the experts saying most of the Dragunovs are from mass production with poor quality controlled enviroment the bore is not as consistence as it should be which means the bullet tumbles in the barrel while it's passing though the barrel some are better condition some are not and some high end shooters from europe orders custom match grade barrels from Izhmash I heard and there is not much of option to up grade the accuracy beside of that. Therefore it's more of the cool looking collectors item rather than precision shooters tool but still most common idea about this rifle is it's great fun to shoot. unlike any other .

richardk1911
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.dragunov.net/tiger/tiger_300wsm_scope_med.jpg

http://www.dragunov.net/tiger/tiger_specia_medl.jpg

darkest2000
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
No one is interested in making a SVD receiver because there are no parts kits currently. And with plenty of NDM-86s still in circulation today under $3k it's not marketable.

69Mach1
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
There could have been an opportunity for parts kits from Iraq. Or not.
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/SVD_Dragunov/SVD_Captured_Iraqi_B.jpg

69Mach1
05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Here's what a friend and fellow calgunner did to his Tiger. No, I have no idea why he has black satin sheets. :)
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/VIRULOSITY/SVD.jpg

darkest2000
05-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Here's what a friend and fellow calgunner did to his Tiger. No, I have no idea why he has black satin sheets. :)
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/VIRULOSITY/SVD.jpg

What! no bayonet lug? Blasphemy!:43:

Actually that's one beautiful Tigr, the way they all should be.

Barabas
05-14-2010, 8:11 AM
There could have been an opportunity for parts kits from Iraq. Or not.

I would have happily supported the new Iraqi government had they brokered a deal to get all of the Saddam-era arms out of Iraq and into American civilian hands. Then they could have bought new hardware from us...

I'll bet those were all crushed.

69Mach1
05-14-2010, 8:13 AM
I would have happily supported the new Iraqi government had they brokered a deal to get all of the Saddam-era arms out of Iraq and into American civilian hands. Then they could have bought new hardware from us...

I'll bet those were all crushed.

They were, and burned too, but I'm not going to post those horrible pictures. :(

Barabas
05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
:censored:

Group B
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
yeah, and our govt. destroyed all the "golden guns" in iraq too, and then paid to outfit both iraqi and afghani govt. troops with new hungarian amd's...

Barabas
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Could have put alot of Iraqi's back to work refurbing those captured rifles and machine guns too. Shoot, could have put a lot of American's back to work doing the same and then selling them back. Spoils of war, and all that.

richardk1911
05-14-2010, 1:08 PM
hoooooooo that's a lot of hardware. They could be sold at list $3000 each in US market But still I rather pay little extra rather than go to Iraq getting shot at one of those.

But I don't want any of those some of those might have our troop's blood on it.

darkest2000
05-14-2010, 1:49 PM
But I don't want any of those some of those might have our troop's blood on it.

I take it you don't own ANY C&R rifles used by any axis countries?

richardk1911
05-14-2010, 7:29 PM
Not every axis countries with AK 74 or 47 as their primary infantry weapon raised war with unite state. How many US soldiers are killed by the Russians during the cold war . I own a AK 47 claim to be never used with US made receiver. Unless those Ak 47 from Vietnam war 1961-1970 Not too many iron sights of the AK locked on the US bloods. but those are the rifles has been used to hit our troop from distance haven't you seen the movie " The Hurt locker" well ...that was PSL but A lot of Russian made SVD were salvaged by local Iraqis and Afghans to used against US troop. I don't want them.they need to be burned so they will never fall in to hands of our enemies. What I would want is a clean rifles from cold war not from one of those.

darkest2000
05-16-2010, 1:22 AM
Not every axis countries with AK 74 or 47 as their primary infantry weapon raised war with unite state. How many US soldiers are killed by the Russians during the cold war . I own a AK 47 claim to be never used with US made receiver. Unless those Ak 47 from Vietnam war 1961-1970 Not too many iron sights of the AK locked on the US bloods. but those are the rifles has been used to hit our troop from distance haven't you seen the movie " The Hurt locker" well ...that was PSL but A lot of Russian made SVD were salvaged by local Iraqis and Afghans to used against US troop. I don't want them.they need to be burned so they will never fall in to hands of our enemies. What I would want is a clean rifles from cold war not from one of those.

I guess you missed the part where I said "C&R". I'm sure many a U.S. troops where killed by K98s. By your standard all the MP44s and MP40s and Arisaks, Lugers and what not used in WWII against us should all be destroyed.

If those SVDs are allows to be imported to the U.S. and owned and enjoyed by U.S. citizens, to me that actually serves as a "up yours!" to our enemies who once used them to harm our troops.

And they'll be no longer in enemy "hands".

But anyways I just want to remind you that that a gun is merely a tool. If you start to put place evilness on a lifeless object IMO your logic (or lack thereof) is no different than that of a gun grabbing politician's.

marktc223
05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey Richard,
I have a SVD FCG that I am putting together as a spare for my TIGR. I need three parts to complete this trigger assembly. I need the trigger spring, magazine latch spring and the autosafety. If you have extra parts available, I would like to purchase them from you.
Mark 727-410-2375

akjunkie
05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Let me get this straight. The Chinese NDM-86 (in 762nato) is Transferable in California?
Reason I ask, I got one and wouldn't mind selling it for the right price.

Barabas
05-24-2011, 4:02 PM
Follow the flowchart, always the flowchart.