View Full Version : Powder sales registration?

05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Ran in to 12102.1 for the very first time the other day. I have purchased powder at many retail outlets before, and this is the first time I was asked to provide ID, make a statement about what I was going to do with the powder, and sign for it. Is this so common and accepted that it is never mentioned here? Yes, I did a search, but found nothing.

05-11-2010, 11:37 PM
It is required of black powder, but I haven't had to do it for smokeless before.

05-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Is it required for pyrodex?

I believe it is also against California law (fire codes?) to have more than one pound of black powder stored without a special permit. Does that also apply to pyrodex? Or is pyrodex treated like smokeless powder? (Which I believe is a 20 pound storage limit)

05-12-2010, 3:01 AM
Over the last year or so I have had to sign away my life for normal reloading powder from local gunshops that actually have it.

At the gunshows I just buy and walk.

05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
It is required of black powder, but I haven't had to do it for smokeless before.

12102.1 reads for 20 pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black sporting powder... It is very strange as I would suspect sales greater than, not less than. The way it is written, someone can buy 2 lbs of black powder and not be subject, or more than 20 lbs of smokless and not be subject. There must be another statute covering greater than these amounts.

05-13-2010, 3:57 PM
Some places in WA are making you prove you are a citizen to buy reloading
supplies. The gun shop story is that they are being held responsible by ATF
if a Canadian is found to have purchased it.

05-13-2010, 4:03 PM
It depends what place I go to. If I am really hard up, the shop closest to me, I have to fill out paperwork to purchase smokeless powder and pyrodex. The shop further away from me, that I like better, doesnt matter with the smokeless powder, have not bought pyrodex there yet though. I asked the guy, he said it was a city ordinance thing. True, dont know.

05-13-2010, 4:13 PM
At the gunshows I just buy and walk.

gunshow loophole.:p