PDA

View Full Version : OC Sheriff Candidates on CCW- Debate Video

RomanDad
05-11-2010, 9:41 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/video/?videoId=84718273001&lineupId=&play=now

CCWFacts
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
That was great to watch.

Is there any legal basis for the sheriff's claim that PC 12050 doesn't allow her to issue for "personal protection"? If a sheriff does issue for "personal protection", what cause of action would someone have to prevent that or get damages from the sheriff? Or is she just a liar from Los Angeles?

BadIndianSwamp
05-12-2010, 1:37 AM
Let's vote that hag out of the Sheriff's Department!!!

Redlinegts
05-12-2010, 1:44 AM
That was awesome. Both Hunter and Hunt were straightforward and very critical of Hutchens.

Werewolf1021
05-12-2010, 2:56 AM
Hutchens: "I absolutely support the 2nd Amendment. But dont confuse the 2nd Amendment with what state law currently says."

What? I assume she is referring to the "good cause" part. My understanding is that there no real legal definition of "good cause" she is not really enforcing the law, just her own policy of not issuing. Are the sheriffs violating the law by issuing for personal protection?

In other news, preaching to the choir is fun. :D

jdewolf
05-12-2010, 4:36 AM
While the OC sheriff race doesn't effect directly [as I'm in San Diego]. I liked how Hunt & Hunter were straight to the point. Hutchens just sounded like a f'n politician...

Hunt was the better of the 2 as far as public speaking goes. Although for some reason he reminds me of a fast talking business man or a car salesman. Not that he's a sleezeball... but I don't know odd vibe.

Hopefully this a nice foreshadowing of the future of CA.

capntroy
05-12-2010, 4:57 AM
While the OC sheriff race doesn't effect directly [as I'm in San Diego]. I liked how Hunt & Hunter were straight to the point. Hutchens just sounded like a f'n politician...

Hunt was the better of the 2 as far as public speaking goes. Although for some reason he reminds me of a fast talking business man or a car salesman. Not that he's a sleezeball... but I don't know odd vibe.

Hopefully this a nice foreshadowing of the future of CA.

I can see that you might have gotten that from the video, as he was probably trying to make his points heard across the room, but in person, Hunt has a much more personable, honest vibe. He's got all of my family's votes...

The Director
05-12-2010, 8:39 AM
Hunt and Hunter threw down! That was great!!!!!

corrupt
05-12-2010, 1:52 PM
Maybe it's just how that video was edited, I dunno, but she sure came off as a smug b*tch.

thrillhouse700
05-12-2010, 2:13 PM
Bill Hunt has my vote, I really wish I could have gone to the on target meet. I need a bill hunt t shirt but they are sold out.

mbarnes
05-12-2010, 2:25 PM
Maybe it's just how that video was edited, I dunno, but she sure came off as a smug b*tch.

I definitely got the same vibe from her.

Marsoc1
05-12-2010, 2:31 PM
I dont even live in the OC but man that video make me wish i did. After that race and either Hunt or Hunter doesnt get the spot. they shold come by to LA county and help out over here :D

marklbucla
05-12-2010, 3:03 PM
She always came across like a smug ______ in every video I've seen of her. I liked how she was busted when she tried to lie with statistics.

Cuban8
05-12-2010, 8:53 PM
Great video RD! Shows just how disingenuous Hutchens is.

Foulball
05-13-2010, 12:10 AM

It's not just the video, that's how she is.

--

SteveH
05-13-2010, 2:44 AM
I am a former City Councilman in OC and I stayed out of recent Sheriff's races since campaigning for Mike Carona in '98. I saw OCSD morale turned upside down in the last six years and knowing what I know - Bill Hunt gets my vote. He's more cop than politician and that's what OC needs.

Enough bad has been said about the appointed Sheriff so I won't heap anymore on. As for Craig Hunter he's probably a good guy but he's got no name ID and can't beat Hutchens in a November run-off. Add the fact he has zero campaign infrastructure and can't raise the requisite money. Hutchens who by the way hasn't raised any money this reporting cycle and had to loan her campaign $30,000 to stay afloat.

Bill Hunt is a guy who can win and will serve the public's best interest. Also he's raising more than $1,000 everyday in donations from average people who want a Sheriff who's concern with protecting their rights - not restricting them.

Unfortunately the powers that be like the BOS and Republican party heads do not understand the importance of moral in a LE agency. We expect cops to go out and go after criminals. its a adversarial system that often results in risk of injury and often baseless civil liability claims against them. The police are more likely to take on those risks when they know the boss supports them. When they feel like the boss has painted a bullseye on their backs they are less likely to be proactive in chasing bad guys.

I know a lot of OCSD cops and all of them say Hutchens has destroyed moral. They feel like she is trying to balance the budget by changing policies so often its impossible to keep up with them, then firing anyone who violates one of her new policies. That perception may not be accurate. But its the way they see things.

Reloaderx2
05-13-2010, 7:39 AM
Hunt's campaign is in warp drive in terms of money coming in and campaign material flying out the door. Who ever your choice Hunt or Hunter, everybody has to buckle down and get rid of Hutchens.

jont92619
05-13-2010, 7:52 AM
Bill Hunt has my vote, I really wish I could have gone to the on target meet. I need a bill hunt t shirt but they are sold out.

Bill Hunt for Sheriff shirts are back in stock in his web site online store (http://www.billhuntforsheriff2010.com/node/241).

jdewolf
05-13-2010, 8:51 PM
I can see that you might have gotten that from the video, as he was probably trying to make his points heard across the room, but in person, Hunt has a much more personable, honest vibe. He's got all of my family's votes...

:) Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

fastkevin
05-21-2010, 3:25 AM
I am a former City Councilman in OC and I stayed out of recent Sheriff's races since campaigning for Mike Carona in '98. I saw OCSD morale turned upside down in the last six years and knowing what I know - Bill Hunt gets my vote. He's more cop than politician and that's what OC needs.

Enough bad has been said about the appointed Sheriff so I won't heap anymore on. As for Craig Hunter he's probably a good guy but he's got no name ID and can't beat Hutchens in a November run-off. Add the fact he has zero campaign infrastructure and can't raise the requisite money. Hutchens who by the way hasn't raised any money this reporting cycle and had to loan her campaign $30,000 to stay afloat.

Bill Hunt is a guy who can win and will serve the public's best interest. Also he's raising more than $1,000 everyday in donations from average people who want a Sheriff who's concern with protecting their rights - not restricting them.
That's good to know.
All I know is I remember a story in the Register shortly after Hutchens was appointed, and it's point was her taking away CCW permits. After watching the vid, where she said that she understood that rural and 'high crime' areas deserve to have CCW permits, but that 'THIS' community isn't one of them(guess she's never been to Santa Ana or parts of Anaheim), I'm all the more interested in this election. I like the way she then back-tracked off her statements toward the end btw..but I too thought Hunt spoke very well, and came across totally clear and very adamate in his position and beliefs of the subject. I will vote for him. I'm mildly concerned that people are gonna confuse Hunt and Hunter though, which would give a clear advantage to Hutchens.

RomanDad
05-21-2010, 6:50 AM
I'm mildly concerned that people are gonna confuse Hunt and Hunter though, which would give a clear advantage to Hutchens.

Thats not an issue. Its a runoff election.

Big E
05-21-2010, 8:07 AM
I live in LA County and work in OC, so I have personal interest in this election. (Want to see every Sheriff in every county that surrounds LA as being very liberal on issuing CCW permits.) I like the video, but when Hutchens said the law doesn't allow the issuance of CCW permits for "personal protection" my jaw dropped. Now all I have ever read were the CCW Permit forms put out by the LACSD, but nowhere did I see "personal protection" just "good cause". Isn’t my personal protection as good cause? I think so.