PDA

View Full Version : Trying to settle this

Gallows
05-11-2010, 6:52 PM
Ok so I checked California laws as far as firearms go and asked around at a few of the gunshops, but I keep getting mixed answers. So my mom has a 1911 that she wants to pass down to me as a present. First problem is I am 20 but after I asked around and did a little research I found that I could do a family transfer into my name. The problem is I'm getting mixed answers and I'm having a hard time navigating the laws, they word things weird in legal documents.

Some have said that I can legally own it at 20 others have said I must be 21 to have possession of a handgun. Can anyone give me a definitive answer or direct me in the right direct? If you know of the document I need to fill out to put it in my name, if possible, I would like that information. Anything helps guys!

Thanks
Trevor

leelaw
05-11-2010, 7:00 PM
You may lawfully own and possess a handgun from 18 years of age and above. An intrafamilial transfer is one such way to get said pistol.

This is the form you want, assuming that she is a resident of California, too: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

The section titled "HOW POSSESSION WAS OBTAINED" should read "INTRAFAMILIAL TRANSFER, GIFT"

alex00
05-11-2010, 7:05 PM
This (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_is_an_INTRAFAMILY_TRANSFER.3F) from the FAQ may help. You are exempt from the over 21 for transfer of a handgun when it is intra-familial.

Gallows
05-11-2010, 7:16 PM
Thanks! This is a huge weight off my shoulders. I'm assuming that she would have to fill that out? Or would I?

Lone_Gunman
05-11-2010, 7:46 PM
You need to go to a gunstore and get a Handgun Safety Cert. Dont remember the cost but I want to say $25 or $35. She gives you the pistiol. You fill out the form and mail it and the payment in. Pistol is now legally yours.

Robidouxs
05-11-2010, 8:08 PM
It is $25, I received my HSC this past February.

jamesob
05-11-2010, 8:21 PM
lol ,the funny thing is that you will have to wait a year or at least until you turn 21 to by ammo for it.

Gallows
05-11-2010, 8:23 PM
lol ,the funny thing is that you will have to wait a year or at least until you turn 21 to by ammo for it.

Good thing my friend shoots his .45 frequently and keeps a good supply of it =]
Or else I would just wait until I was 21.

bwiese
05-11-2010, 8:23 PM

Perfectly legal for mom to buy a skid of WWB and give it to Junior.

imtheomegaman
05-11-2010, 8:29 PM
attaboy Bill - there you have it Gallows

trautert
05-11-2010, 9:18 PM
Some of those same places that gave you bad advice about the age requirement to own a handgun might also refuse to let you test for the HSC. Just keep looking until you find an honest and knowledgeable gun store owner.

NorcalGSG
05-11-2010, 9:30 PM
Some of those same places that gave you bad advice about the age requirement to own a handgun might also refuse to let you test for the HSC. Just keep looking until you find an honest and knowledgeable gun store owner.

True that- and then support them!

cdtx2001
05-12-2010, 6:19 AM
Perfectly legal for mom to buy a skid of WWB and give it to Junior.

Wish my mom would buy me a skid of ammo. LOL

To the OP, how long until you turn 21? A lot easier to just wait a bit. Besides, once you do turn 21, think of all the other fun toys that will be available to you.

Gallows
05-12-2010, 6:24 AM
Wish my mom would buy me a skid of ammo. LOL

To the OP, how long until you turn 21? A lot easier to just wait a bit. Besides, once you do turn 21, think of all the other fun toys that will be available to you.

January!!!!!:eek:

It couldn't come soon enough in my opinion. Getting an M1A Fullsize Walnut. After that I'm saving my money for a Sig P220. Gonna be a good day :D