PDA

View Full Version : California proof of residency.

david_place_834
03-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Please help me clarify what constitutes California proof of residency. I've recently sold my house in Socal and returned to Nocal to live with my parents. Last year, my FFL had no problems taking my Social Security Benefits Summary (which I believe we all get as U.S. citizens). The summary included the United States seal, Social Security Office seal, my SS#, l and had my Socal address printed. No problems whatsoever.

Recently, because of the move, I had to re-registered with my local county elections office and was given a receipt/confirmation slip with the county seal embossed. While purchasing a firearm, I presented my CDL w/updated address and the elections confirmation slip to the FFL. This FFL gave me the suspicious eye and proceeded to lecture me what constitutes California proof of residency (i.e. utility bill, rental lease agreement, and various private sources). I have none of these currently (cell phone bill not acceptable), so I gave him my PG&E bill which verified that I am no longer responsible for the Socal house, and the FFL was satisfied with that.

Now, my understanding is that any public government correspondence should be OK. Heck, anyone can go to Office Depot and doctor themselves a lease agreement. Can you tell me more. Shouldn't these work?

1. Social Security Benefit Summary.
2. Letters from IRS (yep I got one of those too).
3. Tax refund check from IRS or Franchise Tax Board
4. Voter registration.
5. Jury Summons

phish
03-10-2006, 10:38 AM
The easiest is your car registration since it's always in your glove compartment (or should be). If you haven't gotten a new one since your move, then you'd have to wait for a utility bill with your new residence on it.

ohsmily
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Now, my understanding is that any public government correspondence should be OK. Heck, anyone can go to Office Depot and doctor themselves a lease agreement. Can you tell me more. Shouldn't these work?

1. Social Security Benefit Summary.
2. Letters from IRS (yep I got one of those too).
3. Tax refund check from IRS or Franchise Tax Board
4. Voter registration.
5. Jury Summons

The only one of those that is any good (sorta) is to go the registrar of voters and get an official copy/assertion of your voter registration status (and address). The others are not acceptable.

And yes, anyone can doctor up a fake lease agreement (or any document for that matter), but it is a crime to do so.

david_place_834
03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
The easiest is your car registration since it's always in your glove compartment (or should be). If you haven't gotten a new one since your move, then you'd have to wait for a utility bill with your new residence on it.

Actually Phish, you are right. Car registration could have worked, but I didn't change the address yet. I should have done it at the same time I went to DMV to get address changed. However, my contention is that my validation of proof of residency for county election should of been sufficient for the DROS.

tenpercentfirearms
03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Here is exactly what will work. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.htm#33G

33. What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?
Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form
or
The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Residential lease" means either of the following:
A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time
or

A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.

Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Property deed" means either or the following:
A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust
or

A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.

Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
or

The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:

Current DMV registrations.
Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name on it from within the last 3 months.
Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.
Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.

CrazyGunner
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I dont know how strick your DOJ or FFL is, but my FFL just requires a bank statement or bill that gets mailed to my home address. I know its not stated on the DOJ webpage but I'm not complaining.