PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy: Mag Fed vs Single Shot

Phil3
05-11-2010, 2:41 PM
Is there any inherent accuracy advantage with a single shot centerfire rifle over one that is mag fed? A single shot does offer the advantage of being able to tune OAL to whatever you want, where the mag in a mag fed rifle will limit OAL. Setting aside the OAL, is there anything else that would give one rifle an accuracy advantage over another? Calibers under consideration are 223 Remington and 308 Winchester.

I just noticed...my 1,000th post!

- Phil

05-11-2010, 3:14 PM
It depends on the rifle makers.

In theory, single-shot rifles can be made more precisely with better tolerance control.

mif_slim
05-11-2010, 3:21 PM
Yes, in theory. I wish it would happen so in real life! :)

Anyways, I've had guns that shoots great with the bullet bearly touching the rifling..and I've had rifles that shot better with max mag OAL then trying to touch the rifling (single shot). So, its up to your gun.

Solidsnake87
05-11-2010, 3:34 PM
The problem with mag loaders is that you are prevented from loading off the lands.....this is what gives really good accuracy. However, you can cut away the front of a magazine where the bullet tips would touch. This allows you to load longer bullets into the magazine :43: The latest F Class national champion showed me his AR mags he modded to accomplish just that.

Bhobbs
05-11-2010, 7:25 PM
The problem with mag loaders is that you are prevented from loading off the lands.....this is what gives really good accuracy. However, you can cut away the front of a magazine where the bullet tips would touch. This allows you to load longer bullets into the magazine :43: The latest F Class national champion showed me his AR mags he modded to accomplish just that.

Wouldn't that allow the feed lips to spread apart and cause feed issues?

killshot44
05-11-2010, 10:31 PM
If you're comparing a bolt gun to an autoloader, all other things(quality of barrel, twist) being equal, the bolt gun should provide more inherent accuracy given its lack of moving mass and the infinite lock-time.

If it's auto mag-fed vs auto single loaded, the advantages of the latter would be no scraped bullets from the feedramp, no chance of bullets getting seated deeper by mag feeding and the ability to make your OAL match the chamber/load off the lands.