PDA

View Full Version : No hunting licenses! CA screwed up!

doger5
05-11-2010, 9:16 AM
According to fish and game, they made a mistake on the printing of the licenses. They were supposed to be shipped out May 4th, arriving May 11th.

THEY LIED!!! Big 5; Imbert and Smithers do not have the licenses or hunting books!

Fjold
05-11-2010, 9:20 AM
If they made a printing mistake it doesn't necessarily mean that they lied, it's called a mistake. Plus, it's only the 11th at 9 AM, they could still be delivered today. They could also get held up in the mail a day or so.

Wow, wrapped a little tight this morning, aren't we?

Bobula
05-11-2010, 9:23 AM
Fedex show up at your door every day at 9am? How about USPS? You still have over a month, calm down

acourvil
05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Just picked up mine at Mel Cottons, so there are some out there.

jbolton
05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Walmart in Tracy has them.

GVOllie
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Walmart in Marysville has them as well.

vhram
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I think the up tightness is due to the fact the drawing is in 3 weeks, and the applications have to be in by the deadline or you miss out on the draw. If you apply as a group like we do with people in our group living in diff parts of the state it makes it hard to put it all together . Everyones application in your group has to be mailed in the same envelope.

edwardm
05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I got mine last week at Walmart in Milpitas. They even forgot to charge me for my bear tag app, so I just got back from there squaring up with them (and they attempted to blame ME for the screwup).

I know they recalled the bear tags due to some sort of error, but DFG LRB said "Just send in the tag to the same place you send the deer tags and we'll issue the bear tag."

Looking at my 09-10 vs my 10-11 license, I don't see anything unusual/missing.

CSACANNONEER
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
So one shop didn't get one package by 9am. Did you ever think that, even if it doesn't arrive today, it might not be DFGs fault? It's always possible that the delivery truck had an accident, the package is lost in shipping, the package arrived at the store and then was misplaced and the list goes on. However, blaming the DFG is the only logical thing to do. Right?

I got mine last week at Walmart in Milpitas. They even forgot to charge me for my bear tag app, so I just got back from there squaring up with them (and they attempted to blame ME for the screwup).
I know they recalled the bear tags due to some sort of error, but DFG LRB said "Just send in the tag to the same place you send the deer tags and we'll issue the bear tag."

Looking at my 09-10 vs my 10-11 license, I don't see anything unusual/missing.

I would go dirrectly to the GM and let him/her know your story. Let them know that when you discovered their mistake, you came back in to fix it. Now, you feel like you were treated as a criminal (since they blamed you for the theft) and you are not sure how the situation can be fully rectified but, you want a written apology from those involved and you want them to also publixh the apology in the local newspaper. A few cases of ammo might help ease your pains too.

Geo
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
doger5, untwist your panties.

caoboy
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Dang...I was hoping they passed some law with sketchy verbiage that translated to not needing a hunting license.

doger5
05-11-2010, 1:06 PM
Can you think of a better way to find out who has the licenses? They finally showed up. When you have to tell customers every day you don't have them. They are mad and take it out on you. It gets old fast.

GVOllie
05-11-2010, 3:12 PM
If they take it out on you, they need untwist as well. I tried every license carrier in my small town and not one store had them. The closest I found was 45 miles away. What good does it do take get angry with the stores that don't have them? Will it make them magically appear? If I really had to have it today, I could always take the day off from work and drive the 65 miles to the Sacramento DFG office. I know they have them! I want it, it's on me how I get it, not you. You may lose my business on that license (what? 5%?), but you probably won't lose anymore than that unless I really enjoy driving 45-65 for everything.

Yeah, I really want everything right now too, it just never seems to work out that way.

bambam8d1
05-11-2010, 6:08 PM
sorry a bit of topic, I took my HSC awhile back but have never gotten a license yet. really itching to actually get out there soon. lol I was always expecting to pick it up like a fishing license from big5. but then I saw something in here about applications and drawings? would anyone be willing to clarify for me? hunting license for dummies? lol

vhram
05-11-2010, 6:09 PM
The simi valley , walmart now has the tags and new license, no books thou.

raw24
05-12-2010, 9:25 AM
Got mine May 1 at Walmart in modesto. They always have them on 5/1.

Find the CA BGHD here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/digest/

GVOllie
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
bambam -

I gave you Hunting Licenses for Dummies in a PM, but the short answer is you can pick it up like a fishing license at the store counter. The only application/drawing issue is deer/elk/antelope. All other tags and stamps to add to the basic license can be purchased over the counter at the same time (bear/pig/upland birds/duck). I believe the only exception is the bobcat tags. I believe the DFG site says you have to pick those up at a DFG office or "select" license locations.

If you want to get in on the drawing for deer/elk/antelope, you need to get your application in by the beginning of June. Otherwise, pick up your license when you need it (valid after July 1st).

edwardm
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
CSA, this is Walmart. I had to wait a good 20 minutes for them to figure out how to take my money. The Milpitas Walmart sucks - I should know better than to go there for anything, other than cheap beef jerky and shotgun shells, but anticipation for deer season got the best of me. ;)

I'll consider it a lesson learned. Normally I just go to the local Big 5 or Imbert and Smithers, since I live not 5 minutes from them. I did manage to get a smile out of one of the CS associates when I said "So wait, I'm culpable for walking out of here with an unpaid-for tag? What, was I running the register that day, too?"

Oddly, dealing with folks in other Walmart stores hasn't been a bad experience. The help in the Elko, NV store has always been courteous and quick, and even the ones in some of the more out of the way places, like Paso Robles, have been pretty good. It just seems that pretty much everything in/on/near/about Milpitas bites!

I would go dirrectly to the GM and let him/her know your story. Let them know that when you discovered their mistake, you came back in to fix it. Now, you feel like you were treated as a criminal (since they blamed you for the theft) and you are not sure how the situation can be fully rectified but, you want a written apology from those involved and you want them to also publixh the apology in the local newspaper. A few cases of ammo might help ease your pains too.

edwardm
05-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Bear tags are drawn, too. It's not drawn like a premium deer tag or an elk/antelope tag, but all you pick up at the counter is the tag application. You have to mail that in to DFG's LRB. Then they send you back the actual tag (like with non-drawing/on demand deer tags such as A and B zones). The season opens and they close it when a quota has been reached (1700 returned tags is the magic number this year, I think.)

Some years bear season closes early due to tag returns, other years it closes on the date of closure. I believe 2009 closed prior to the closure date.

bambam -

I gave you Hunting Licenses for Dummies in a PM, but the short answer is you can pick it up like a fishing license at the store counter. The only application/drawing issue is deer/elk/antelope. All other tags and stamps to add to the basic license can be purchased over the counter at the same time (bear/pig/upland birds/duck). I believe the only exception is the bobcat tags. I believe the DFG site says you have to pick those up at a DFG office or "select" license locations.

If you want to get in on the drawing for deer/elk/antelope, you need to get your application in by the beginning of June. Otherwise, pick up your license when you need it (valid after July 1st).

GVOllie
05-12-2010, 3:09 PM
Sorry about the bear tag error. I did mention the quota and uncertain closing date when I PM'ed the longer version. Last year did close a couple days early. I was watching the daily count as it happened. There was talk of it going to 2500 this year, but that was shot down

Thanks for the correction.

Medic451
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
bambam -

Can you pm me that info as well GVOllie, im new to the hunting scene, might help me out a bit too. - Thanks

vhram
05-13-2010, 8:19 AM
sorry a bit of topic, I took my HSC awhile back but have never gotten a license yet. really itching to actually get out there soon. lol I was always expecting to pick it up like a fishing license from big5. but then I saw something in here about applications and drawings? would anyone be willing to clarify for me? hunting license for dummies? lol

You will need to have had a hunter safety course also before they can sell you a hunting license, which is a 8 hour course the you get your hunter safety card. There are some online options for 1/2 the course with 4 hours in class. I dont believe the age or military experience counts for the hunter safety course anymore.

dirtnap
05-13-2010, 8:33 AM
You will need to have had a hunter safety course also before they can sell you a hunting license, which is a 8 hour course the you get your hunter safety card. There are some online options for 1/2 the course with 4 hours in class. I dont believe the age or military experience counts for the hunter safety course anymore.

When I took mine it was 10 hours, then again I also waited 12 years to trade the card in for an actual license so what's a couple of hours here or there...

vhram
05-13-2010, 8:57 AM
bambam8d1 Is the HSC you took the Hunter safety course or the Handgun safety card ? When I first read your post I was reading it as Handgun safety card.

tpuig
05-13-2010, 5:19 PM
Got my license today at Big5 in Sunnyvale, along with deer applications and an upland bird stamp.

This will be my first time for a deer hunt. I'm planning on applying for a premium zone and a realistic one for the 2nd. Anybody want to adopt a new deer hunter? I'll take you pheasant hunting this fall in Suisun...

I figure it can't hurt to put in for a sheep, antelope and elk hunt as well. Odds are pretty low, but if you get one, it's like hitting the lotto...