PDA

View Full Version : SKS legality questions

samuraiBSD
05-11-2010, 4:55 AM
Hi all.

This isn't about a stock SKS, I already know that's legal (unless it'a a Yugo).

I'm thinking about buying an SKS and doing a few mods to it. I plan to cut the barrel down to 16.5 inches, then put a Tapco T6 stock on it. I'm keeping the internal 10 round mag due to its reliability, plus, I prefer stripper clips.

The legal aspects I'm looking at are both California legality and compliance with 922(r). Would I be able to do these mods legally? Thanks everyone.

AJAX22
05-11-2010, 5:01 AM
what type of SKS? (if you say Russian, you get slapped... just FYI)

and when was it imported?

samuraiBSD
05-11-2010, 6:48 AM

Most likely, it'll be Chinese...I'm checking legality before I actually buy it, so I don't know when the particular model I'll buy was imported.

Stamatos
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
The Chinese is great.. the paratrooper already has a shorter barrel, look into that. If you add a T-6, you'll have to follow the 10 import or fewer law. I thought if you replaced anything, you had to do this but was told it only has to be done if you add evil features which the Tapco stock has. Now there aren't a lot of parts you can replace in the SKS so you may have to lose the original mag but Tapco makes fixed ones of those too.
Hit up survivors SKS board http://www.sksboards.com
Tons of info and help there.

Z ME FLY
05-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Don't even get us started AJAX!

I wouldn't say slapped more like tar, feathered, and burned LOL

AJAX22
05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
922r only applies to the chinease sks's that were imported after they made them cut the bay lug off.

the ones imported with the lug were done before that went into effect.

dorkytom
05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
You need to change more parts to us made parts to be 922r compliant.

Date of import is irrelevant because you are in sense manufacturing a rifle with non sporting features.

dorkytom
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Sorry i mean to say assembling a rifle with non sporting features

bigthaiboy
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Most likely, it'll be Chinese...I'm checking legality before I actually buy it, so I don't know when the particular model I'll buy was imported.

Just buy a Norinco Paratrooper or Comboy's Companian. They both already come with a 16.5" barrel. That way you not spending money having a gunsmith hack down a barrel.

Since you are using the original fix mag, there are no CA legality issues here apart from it has to be a minimum 30" OAL.

If the new stock has a pistol grip or collapsible / folding stock, then you need to play the 922(r) 10 parts or less. A Chinese SKS has 14 imported parts, so you need to change replace 4 parts with US parts:

Stock is 2 parts (stock & handguards),
Tapco gas piston is 1 part,
US made trigger :
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/40/products_id/959 gives you your 4th US part.
Now you're good to go.

samuraiBSD
05-12-2010, 8:05 AM
Just buy a Norinco Paratrooper or Comboy's Companian. They both already come with a 16.5" barrel. That way you not spending money having a gunsmith hack down a barrel.

Since you are using the original fix mag, there are no CA legality issues here apart from it has to be a minimum 30" OAL.

If the new stock has a pistol grip or collapsible / folding stock, then you need to play the 922(r) 10 parts or less. A Chinese SKS has 14 imported parts, so you need to change replace 4 parts with US parts:

Stock is 2 parts (stock & handguards),
Tapco gas piston is 1 part,
US made trigger :
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/40/products_id/959 gives you your 4th US part.
Now you're good to go.

Glad the 922(r) isn't as hard as I thought...

On the paratrooper thing: Most of them I see on GunBroker or GunsAmerica are around $500, whereas I can get a Chinese for about $250-300. Is it really more cost effective to pay $200 more right off the bat to get one already shortened? I read somewhere that it should only cost $75 or so to get the barrel cut down and the front sight remounted. Is that true?

AJAX22
05-12-2010, 8:55 AM
Ska gas systems can be finicky to tune reliably.... And to turn them to shift the sites you have to dissasemble the whole front end

Complicated equals time, time equals money

200 to get what you want is not much of a premium... And you'll have it now, not a year from now

echo1
05-12-2010, 2:08 PM
To cut the barrel $75 maybe. But you, or the smith has to remove the front site base and the barrel from the receiver. Both jobs, although simple, are time consuming and require brute strength and awkwardness. I plan to give it a try but I already have a donor rifle. PAX

bigthaiboy
05-12-2010, 3:51 PM
To cut the barrel $75 maybe. But you, or the smith has to remove the front site base and the barrel from the receiver. Both jobs, although simple, are time consuming and require brute strength and awkwardness. I plan to give it a try but I already have a donor rifle. PAX

My thoughts exactly, it will cost you just as much in the end in gunsmiths fees to shorten the barrel on a regular SKS. And at the end of the day, you will end up with a bubba'ed SKS which will never be worth $ as much as what you put into it.

By buying a Norinco Paratrooper, if you don't make any permanent modifications to it, it will continue to appreciate in value. You have to bear in mind, Norincos haven't been imported into the U.S. since Clinton blocked imports from China in 1993.