PDA

View Full Version : Under 21 Intra-Family Transfer of Handguns

dot0dotdot
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I recognize this subject has been addressed numerous times, but due to ever-changing laws and the progress of bureaucracy, I figured I'd play it safe and gain additional input on the matter.

About a year ago, when I was 19, my father purchased a Colt .45 for me, though it was in his name. I provided him the funds to get it. The plan was for him to gift it to me when I turned 21. At the time I was unaware that a handgun could be gifted to a direct family member before they turned 21. I am currently 20 years old and after much needed research we have consolidated that he is going to legally gift it to me using the OPLAW IntraFamily form.I am aware that I need to earn my Handgun Safety Cert first.

My question is: once I get the cert, send out the form, and cover all legal bases, would it be legal for me to take the gun to the local shooting range; or carry it with me, open-unloaded, in the mountains (for protection from marijuana farms etc)? I'm not sure I am able to possess the ammunition legally since I'm under 21 which is what I'd like to be more sure of. On legal grounds, would I personally be able to keep it with me going to and from the shooting range, in the required locked container, unloaded, and in my vehicle without facing legal repercussions.

I appreciate your time and commitment to these forums.

mydogsmonkey
05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I recognize this subject has been addressed numerous times, but due to ever-changing laws and the progress of bureaucracy, I figured I'd play it safe and gain additional input on the matter.

About a year ago, when I was 19, my father purchased a Colt .45 for me, though it was in his name. I provided him the funds to get it. The plan was for him to gift it to me when I turned 21. At the time I was unaware that a handgun could be gifted to a direct family member before they turned 21. I am currently 20 years old and after much needed research we have consolidated that he is going to legally gift it to me using the OPLAW IntraFamily form.I am aware that I need to earn my Handgun Safety Cert first.

My question is: once I get the cert, send out the form, and cover all legal bases, would it be legal for me to take the gun to the local shooting range; or carry it with me, open-unloaded, in the mountains (for protection from marijuana farms etc)? I'm not sure I am able to possess the ammunition legally since I'm under 21 which is what I'd like to be more sure of. On legal grounds, would I personally be able to keep it with me going to and from the shooting range, in the required locked container, unloaded, and in my vehicle without facing legal repercussions.

I appreciate your time and commitment to these forums.

dunno what to say about the ammo but yes its legal for you to take to the range and use legally otherwise. you can possess a handgun under 21 in ca as long as you have a HSC card

Librarian
05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Since it's legally owned, there should be no problem. Don't have to wait for the acknowledgment of the oplaw form.

Buying ammo for it, however, may be a bit of a challenge - not legal to sell pistol ammo to under-21.

dot0dotdot
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I appreciate the quick responses. I'll work on getting my HSC card tomorrow and send out the oplaw form with the 19$ shortly after.

Thanks again

Big E
05-11-2010, 1:55 PM
[QUOTE=dot0dotdot;4269238]I appreciate the quick responses. I'll work on getting my HSC card tomorrow and send out the oplaw form with the 19$ shortly after./QUOTE]

Congrats on the "new" acquisition:cool:. In addition to the HSC, be sure to follow-up with a handgun safety class using your gun (if you havenít already).

Knauga
05-11-2010, 9:52 PM
I gave a couple of pistols to my 18 year old son. Nothing wrong with it as long as you meet the other requirements (HSC or exemption)

Have your dad buy you ammo too... it is a fatherly duty ;)

Werewolf1021
05-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Since it's legally owned, there should be no problem. Don't have to wait for the acknowledgment of the oplaw form.

Buying ammo for it, however, may be a bit of a challenge - not legal to sell pistol ammo to under-21.

Unless it is for a rifle that shoots pistol ammuntion or did that change recently?

OP, you may have a hard time depending on the range. I asked a similar question to a local range and told them about Intra-familial transfer for under 21 and asked if I could bring my Glock 19 to shoot without an over 21 individual. They were hesitant because of under 21 year olds being unable to buy handgun ammo and said probably not. Your mileage may vary though.