PDA

View Full Version : Is the trigger pin supposed to be "pushed in" by hand?

davy
05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi guys, I'm building my lower right now, and after dropping the trigger with the disconnector sitting on top of it into the lower assembly, I'm suppose to insert the trigger pin from the side of the stripped lower, going through a hole in the hammer and the disconnector, and come out to the other side of the stripped lower (if I followed the youtube video correctly).

But I didn't have to use any hammer at all. The guy in the video did have to hammer that pin in a little, but I just aligned the holes and pushed the hammer pin into the side of the lower with my thumb! It wasn't without resistance, but I didn't need a hammer. Was I suppose to use a hammer? I did have to hammer in the pin for the hammer just at its slot just a little bit ahead of the slot for the trigger pin. I want to make sure I didn't do anything incorrectly.

Tony.
05-11-2010, 12:40 AM
A hammer is not necessary. I have always used thumb pressure.

mala in se
05-11-2010, 12:47 AM
you should be able to do it by hand. i use a punch to align the way for the pin and push it through by hand.

i've done it w/out the punch as well.

davy
05-11-2010, 1:01 AM
thanks guys.

tenbrook
05-11-2010, 6:36 AM
i use a punch to align the way for the pin and push it through by hand.

i've done it w/out the punch as well.

I like to use a punch a little smaller then the hole to line it all up. Then come from the other side and put in the pin/push out the punch.

Hope this helps :cool:

Spitfire75
05-11-2010, 6:50 AM
On 1 or 2 of my lowers, I was able to insert the trigger & hammer pins by hand. On the others, the pins were fit a bit tighter and I used a small punch with a brass hammer. I have delicate thumbs. :)

CHS
05-11-2010, 9:23 AM
Remember, the trigger pin is held in place by one of the hammer spring legs, so it's ok for it to be just a little bit loose. If the hammer spring is installed correctly, it won't ever walk out on you.

Now the hammer pin, you should have to tap that one in since it's got an internal spring that holds the pin in place.

Rob454
05-11-2010, 4:34 PM
I just used my fingers.

davy
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Remember, the trigger pin is held in place by one of the hammer spring legs, so it's ok for it to be just a little bit loose. If the hammer spring is installed correctly, it won't ever walk out on you.

I thought the trigger pin is a little "loose." I could move it a little by pushing on it with my finger, but I haven't tried to push it all the way out. The hammer pin, on the other hand, is rock solid.

The trigger works fine, I did test it as the guy in the video recommended.

Off to buy that 1/16 in. hex key now. Can't believe that's not included in the MIAD kit.

stitchnicklas
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
finger or a soft plastic tool head if ya need it:cool2: