PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys know about "Wilderness Unlimited..??"

Trendkill
05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Is it pricey..?? Is it worth it..?? Is it stupid..?? How much is it..??

pgquackstacker
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
What do you mainly want to hunt? Pigs? Deer? Waterfowl? Upland? Fishing?

r3dn3ck
05-11-2010, 7:39 AM
It's relatively expensive but the lands are very nice. They've bought up and leased some of the nicest hunting lands to be had. Very limited hunting pressure on the critters did NOT seem to affect the difficulty of the hunt.

I used to go with a buddy that maintained a membership. I don't think having to pay for a membership fee is really helping the hunting community much. Really puts back into effect some European traditions that are pretty stanky and planted seeds of discontent regarding the aristocracy, but I digress.

Good lands. Expensive. Limited hunter pressure. I wouldn't pay for it given all the public lands that are available but I'm a cheap bastard.

zinfull
05-11-2010, 9:28 AM
If you are rich it is good. I hate the concept because they get the best hunting areas and restrict it from normal hunting. The farmers get a good deal but it does cause people not to take up hunting. Been around a long time.

elevated
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
does anyone know about how much the memberships are?

edwardm
05-11-2010, 11:49 AM
It's not a bad deal for big game, upland game and ducks. Sure, they lease up a bunch of land, but it's all private land anyway, and it's unlikely you'd have gotten trespass permission from the landowners anyway. Every time I've politely asked about trespass permission from landowners they've politely turned me down.

WU makes sure the lands stay of trash, they aggregate the camping areas to mitigate vehicle impact, and a number of the properties abut BLM or other public lands.

It isn't cheap, but that's why I do as much side work/projects as I can during the year to save up for the member fees. It's worth it to me, and will be moreso once I get my lab.

popndrop
05-11-2010, 4:40 PM
There have been a few other threads on the subject in the past. I'm personally not a fan. I joined and didn't feel it was worth my money. That being said, if you're in NorCal, you'll have much easier access to the majority of their locations than those of us in SoCal. I think you'd be better off paying guide/trespass fees if you're in SoCal. Or maybe buy an annual membership to Tejon.

lewdogg21
05-11-2010, 6:14 PM
I drove by a bunch of their ranches today on the way from Fort Bragg to Sac via Highway 20.

That's all I have to add. :(

Trendkill
05-11-2010, 6:37 PM
I drove by a bunch of their ranches today on the way from Fort Bragg to Sac via Highway 20.

That's all I have to add. :(

I was camping near there in Willits this weekend.

So......people.....how much is it..????

duckman1
05-11-2010, 7:57 PM
I have hunted several of their properties with a friend of mine. They were good areas with game and the access was easy. All trails were well marked and the rules were strictly enforced. Annual membership was about what a duck club membership costs.

spectr17
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
WU has been covered a few times on our forum.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/hog-javelina-hunting/113199-wilderness-unlimited-membership.html

Trendkill
05-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Wow.....too pricey for my availability of time....but it seems cool for retired folk.

m98
05-12-2010, 2:00 AM
Wayy tooo pricey....My uncle joined for a year.....It wasn't worth it at all. The hunting lands was also just so so.....Better off saved for a "FREE STATE" hunt....It's only about the money here in the PRK.

bruce_ventura
05-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I've been a member of WU for a few years and I like it a lot. Even though I live in so cal, and most of the properties are up north, I've gotten good use from the membership.

For one thing, I'm new to hunting and don't have a regular hunting partner. I've always met nice people in camp. The property managers and caretakers are a good source of information about the properties. I have the freedom at work to schedule hunts during the week, when the ranches are usually available. I also hunt public land. I definitely see a lot more game on WU ranches. I like the entire hunting experience: studying terrain, scouting for signs, hiking/mountain biking the trails, glassing, stalking, etc. WU limits the number of hunters so that a 5,000 acre ranch no more than 7-8 hunters. I usually hunt all day long without bumping into more than one or two people. The ones I've met have been experienced and responsible hunters. I've also taken my family camping and fishing. During the time between hunting seasons, it's pretty cool having a 5,000 acre ranch to yourself while camping.

On the down side, you need a FWD vehicle or mountain bike to really cover ground on most of the ranches, though. You need to be OK with the rules because there are a ton of them. The joining and membership fees are pricey, but there are no other costs.

Bottom line for me is that I wouldn't hunt nearly as much if I didn't have the membership. Twice a year I make a trip north of the Bay area to hunt one of the more popular ranches up there. The rest of the time I hunt ranches in so cal.

taperxz
05-13-2010, 7:24 AM
Save your money. There is plenty of National forest up here in N CAL to hunt. You just gotta get off your rear and come up and scout it properly. Scouting does not include getting a map on the internet and looking at it. You need to pick a spot, grab your gear and hike it out. WU is an overpriced game club designed for people who want to hunt but don't have the time to look for other places. I know guys that were in either WU or golden ram and i have proved to them i have harvested more game off BLM then they ever have on a hunt club. You just gotta know how to find the game!

bruce_ventura
05-13-2010, 9:08 PM
You just gotta get off your rear and come up and scout it properly.
That's easy to say when you live up north. Not so easy when you have a 7-14 hour drive just to get up there.

remsenlab
05-14-2010, 4:06 PM
Is it pricey..?? Is it worth it..?? Is it stupid..?? How much is it..??

I posted my thoughts earlier about a year ago. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2622015&postcount=3

A year later and I'm still a happy WU member. It ain't cheap and there are lots of rules but I don't mind that for the quality time I get in the field. PM me if you'd like a more detailed take.

lewdogg21
05-14-2010, 6:54 PM
Save your money. There is plenty of National forest up here in N CAL to hunt. You just gotta get off your rear and come up and scout it properly. Scouting does not include getting a map on the internet and looking at it. You need to pick a spot, grab your gear and hike it out. WU is an overpriced game club designed for people who want to hunt but don't have the time to look for other places. I know guys that were in either WU or golden ram and i have proved to them i have harvested more game off BLM then they ever have on a hunt club. You just gotta know how to find the game!

Congrats you are one of the lucky few.

gdun
05-15-2010, 2:11 PM
My family has been with the club for a long time. With the amount of hunting we do, it is completely worth it for us.

pieeater
05-15-2010, 4:31 PM

Would love to see some pics of the BLM kills.