PDA

View Full Version : Letter from State Senator about gun control....

IrishPirate
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Got this email from State Senator Dave Cox. I asked him his stance on gun control and on 2A topics in general. Here is his response:

Dear **** ******:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

My stance on additional gun control legislation has been clear. I have consistently opposed efforts to restrict the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase and legally use firearms.

Several key bills relating to gun control or ownership rights have been introduced or re-introduced during this legislative session.

Assembly Bill 357 (Knight) would have revised state law as it relates to obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon. Current law authorizes the sheriff of a county, "…upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists, and that the person applying satisfies any one of certain conditions…" to issue a license for the person to carry a concealed handgun. AB 357 would have deleted the good cause requirement, and required the sheriff to issue the license if the other criteria described above are met. As anticipated, AB 357 failed passage in its first hearing in the Assembly Public Safety Committee on April 21 by a vote of 1-5. The bill was taken up for a vote of reconsideration on January 12 and failed passage a second time by a vote of 1-5. AB 357 is dead for the remainder of this legislative session.

Assembly Bill 668 (Lieu) was introduced last year and is currently awaiting a hearing in the Senate Public Safety Committee, although no hearing date has been set. The bill increases gun-free school zones from 1,000 feet to 1,500 feet, with exceptions for lawful possession or legal transport. The issue is whether a criminal with a firearm willing to violate a 1,000-foot gun-free zone would suddenly respect a 1,500-foot zone. This bill is directed at law-abiding citizens, not criminals. I am unaware of any demonstrated need for this bill and am opposed to it as written.

Assembly Bill 962 is a far-reaching measure which prohibits any person not licensed as a gun dealer to transfer, sell or buy more than 50 pieces of ammunition in a month. The bill also implements extensive reporting and record-keeping requirements for all licensed gun dealers who wish to sell ammunition. The requirements listed in this measure are impractical and would do more to inconvenience lawful gun owners more than deter criminals. AB 962 passed both houses of the Legislature and was signed into law by Governor Schwarzenegger, Chapter 628, Statutes of 2009. I voted against AB 962 when it came before me.

Assembly Member Hagman introduced Assembly Bill 1663 to repeal the provisions of AB 962.

AB 1663 failed passage in the Assembly Public Safety Committee on March 23 by a vote of 2-4, with Republican members supporting the bill, four Democrat members opposing the bill, and one Democrat abstaining. Although the bill has been granted reconsideration, it is uncertain at this time whether the author will take the bill up for a second hearing.

Assembly Bill 1167 (Nielsen) "…would have deemed persons who have a valid permit or license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state to be authorized to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to provisions of California law...." and would have similarly "directed the Department of Justice to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states so that persons licensed in this state to carry concealed or loaded firearms would be authorized to do so in those other states." AB 1167 was never heard in committee, failed to pass out of the house of origin by the legislative deadline and is dead for the remainder of this legislative session.

Assembly Bill 1810 (Feuer) applies identical registration and tracking record requirements for handguns to long guns. Current law exempts long guns from certain tracking and registration requirements. This bill deletes the exemptions effective July 1, 2012. Once again, this legislation is directed at law-abiding gun owners. Clearly, convicted felons prohibited from being in possession of firearms will not register any illegally possessed firearms. AB 1810 passed the Assembly Public Safety Committee on April 13 by a vote of 4-2, with Democrats supporting, Republicans opposing, and one Democrat member abstaining. The bill is now awaiting further action in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

Assembly Bill 1934 (Saldaņa) will make it a misdemeanor for any person to carry an exposed, unloaded handgun outside a vehicle on his or her person in a public place. Assembly Member Saldaņa admits that she introduced this bill as a result of “controversial events” where numbers of citizens openly carry unloaded weapons in an effort to begin to normalize such lawful conduct. Although the author cites an intimidation factor as her purpose for introducing this legislation, I am unaware of any compelling need for it, and I intend to oppose this bill as written should it reach me for a vote. AB 1934 was approved by the Assembly Public Safety Committee on April 27 by a vote of 5-2, with all Democrat members in support and Republican members in opposition. The bill is now scheduled for a hearing in the Assembly Appropriations Committee on May 12.

Assembly Bill 2223 (Nava) is a bill to require the use of non-toxic shot for hunting purposes in specified wildlife management areas when taking migratory game birds, resident small game or non-game species. This bill is an expansion of the Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act which prohibited the use of lead shot in areas where the California Condor was known to scavenge. AB 2223 passed the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee on April 13 on a party-line vote of 8-4, with all Democrat members in support, all Republican members opposing, and one Democrat member (Caballero) either absent or abstaining. The bill is now awaiting a hearing in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. I am opposed to this bill as written.

Senate Bill 41 (Lowenthal) would have imposed additional requirements on firearms dealers to track sales, returns and other transactions and report them to the California Department of Justice. Additional fees on dealers were also included in the bill which would have likely been passed on to consumers. SB 41 passed the full Senate on June 1 by a vote of 21-14. The bill subsequently passed the full Assembly on September 8 by a vote of 48-30, and on September 10, the Senate voted to concur with the Assembly amendments. The Governor ultimately vetoed the bill.

Senate Bill 585 (Leno) is a bill which would have prohibited firearms sales at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The language in SB 585 was virtually identical to the final language contained in Assembly Bill 2498 (Leno) from the 2007-08 legislative session.

SB 585 was an effort to allow the City and/or County of San Francisco to discriminate against legitimate gun show participants and vendors who must comply with stringent state regulations affecting licensing, sales, background checks, liability and other provisions of state law governing gun shows, although the property in question is owned by the state, not the county. SB 585 originally passed the full Senate on June 3 by a vote of 21-18. SB 585 subsequently passed the full Assembly on September 9 by a vote of 45-33. The Senate concurred with the Assembly amendments on September 10. I voted against this bill when it came before me, and the bill was vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger.

Senate Bill 697 (DeSaulnier) was a re-introduction of Assembly Bill 2235 a bill from the 2007-08 legislative session by the same author relating to "owner-authorized" handguns. AB 2235 passed the Assembly but was held under submission in the Senate Appropriations Committee and died without further action. SB 697 was never heard in committee and failed to pass out of the house of origin by the legislative deadline.

"Smart gun" technology may be perfected in the future, and "owner authorized" weapons may one day secure a niche in the marketplace. However, the potential availability of such weapons for those who wish to purchase them should not preclude the legal possession, purchase or transfer of other traditional firearms. For this reason, I was opposed to SB 697 as written.

Senate Bill 776 (Hancock) would have required owners of large-capacity magazines to register them with the Department of Justice. I was opposed to this bill as written. The bill was never heard in a policy committee and failed to pass out of the house of origin by the legislative deadline.

If you are interested in tracking the progress of this or any other legislation, you may access the status, votes, bill text and analyses of this and other legislation from my Senate home page at www.senate.ca.gov/cox.

Again, thank you for taking the time to relay your views. Please feel free to communicate with me on other issues of interest.

Sincerely,

DAVE COX

Senator, First District

Not quite the direct and simple answer I was looking for, but very informative! I didn't even know about a few of these...:eek:

EDIT: letter from Assemblyman added, post #7

Trapper John
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Senator Cox has been our friend as long as he has represented us. We also have a supporter in Assemblymember Huber (10th district). Even with the dreaded D after her name she has voted to protect our gun rights. Even with my general anger to throw them all out I plan to support both Senator Cox and Assemblymember Huber in the future.

John

M198
05-11-2010, 2:10 AM
I wrote my state Senator Tom Harman a few weeks ago about his support for Sandra Hutchens and his stance on AB-1934 and below is the response I got from him.

K8E_zMLCRNg

loather
05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
That's a grasshopper in the video. *sigh*

IrishPirate
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Senator Cox has been our friend as long as he has represented us. We also have a supporter in Assemblymember Huber (10th district). Even with the dreaded D after her name she has voted to protect our gun rights. Even with my general anger to throw them all out I plan to support both Senator Cox and Assemblymember Huber in the future.

John

I've been pleased with everything I've read about him so far, and not just about 2A topics. He seems to get it better than most politicians, that his job is to be our voice.

CAL.BAR
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Writing to Rep. legislators about gun control issues is preaching to the choir.

If you want to accomplish anything, start writing to (D) legislators. They will either ignor you or tell you why they want to take our rights away, but in either case, they will hear from us.

IrishPirate
05-21-2010, 8:01 PM
Just got this in from State Assemblyman Ted Gaines too:

Dear ****:

Thank you for your e-mail requesting my position on items of importance to you.

By way of a general response, I do support the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Specifically, I support the right to carry, and I opposed Assembly Bill 962, regarding sale of ammunition.

Again, ****, thank you for your inquiry. I trust this information is beneficial.

Best regards,

Assemblyman Ted Gaines, Fourth District

+1 for us I guess....I know that it's not the ones who support us that we need to worry about, but it's good to know who is and isn't on our side so we know who to get rid of when the time comes.

Cr6IC
05-21-2010, 8:21 PM
Those committee vote tallies are just further confirmation that change in this state will more likely come through the courts than legislation, unless the districts get redrawn.

rimfire78
05-21-2010, 8:21 PM
I thought the limit to 50 rounds per month in Assembly Bill 962 was removed before the bill was finalized.?

IrishPirate
05-21-2010, 8:50 PM
Those committee vote tallies are just further confirmation that change in this state will more likely come through the courts than legislation, unless the districts get redrawn.

pretty much....they're going to have to find some other right to try to strip away from us. I'm sure there will be a tax on oxygen consumption soon enough :rolleyes:

I thought the limit to 50 rounds per month in Assembly Bill 962 was removed before the bill was finalized.?

it was...not sure why he left that part in there.....

dreslinger
05-21-2010, 9:06 PM
OMG! I can't stop laughing at the response of M198. I am glad Ted Gaines is for us. He is my rep.