PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Fixed Blade Knife in Vehicle... What is legal?

GMONEY
05-10-2010, 6:57 PM
Does anyone know what the main CA law is on this? Thanks!

IEShooter
05-10-2010, 7:07 PM
Don't know the law on it, but a friend of mine is married to a San Diego LEO. He advised her to keep a screwdriver handy. Perfectly legal and a very effective defensive weapon in a pinch, particularly for a small framed woman.

gunsmith
05-10-2010, 8:04 PM
Don't know the law on it, but a friend of mine is married to a San Diego LEO. He advised her to keep a screwdriver handy. Perfectly legal and a very effective defensive weapon in a pinch, particularly for a small framed woman.

A cop friend of mine says "if cops knew the law they would be paid more and called lawyers"

Cokebottle
05-10-2010, 8:11 PM
A cop friend of mine says "if cops knew the law they would be paid more and called lawyers"
Ditto this.
The above advice is very dangerous.

There are people who are now prohibited from owning firearms because they were carrying a screwdriver in their back pocket.

Fissssh
05-10-2010, 8:18 PM
So are my two fillet knives and camp machete/saw a no no?

Cokebottle
05-10-2010, 8:23 PM
When "concealed on or about your person" = Felony.

Gets a little dicey in a vehicle... I suspect that intent (or presumed intent) will play into whether or not there is an arrest and/or prosecution if the blade is concealed within the passenger compartment where the occupant(s) have access to it.

Mstrty
05-10-2010, 8:29 PM
Dont forget about the ice pick. Never know when your next big gulp has a nasty ice chunk that keeps getting stuck in the straw. Keeping an ice pick on your person (especially if your anal about your ice) is perfectly legal for this purpose.

I am in no way giving you any legal advice. Please consult a professional.

paintballergb
05-10-2010, 8:38 PM

Keep it next to a survival blanket and a fishing pole.

Librarian
05-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Nothing in PC makes knives in vehicles, concealed or open, illegal.

That doesn't mean some LEO won't give you problems, and the location of you and the vehicle may come into play.

destro360
05-10-2010, 9:21 PM
i always keep my knife on the dash in plain view to avoid this issue. (not that it is the law) the only problem is of course as soon as any leo sees this they ask why you have it etc and treat you like your a criminal and dangerous.

GMONEY
05-10-2010, 9:44 PM
You could always just say you have the knife because the Sheriff won't give yous a CCW... Probably not wise to say that... I use mine in case I need to cut my seatbelt!

kellito
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Google "ca knife laws". Then put on your dunce cap, I've read one of the in-depth links multiple times and still don't know what's legal and when. Also keep in mind that the laws vary from county to county and city to city.

kellito
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Try this
http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

anniepoks
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
would this be of a help in regards with knife?
excerpt from Dangerous Weapons Control Law.

Switchblade Knives

* 653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor. For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife, and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position. For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.

alex00
05-11-2010, 9:25 AM
PC 12020 is the controlling statute of fixed blade knife laws in the State. Without touching on local ordinances, there is no prohibition against carrying a fixed blade knife in your vehicle, concealed. The statute only prohibits carrying a concealed fixed blade knife on your person. The District Attorney in my county will not charge an offense for carrying a fixed blade knife concealed within easy reach of the driver. This is not on the person.

There are various arguments about whether or not carrying a bag with fixed blade knife if "on your person". But in your vehicle is clearly not on your person. If you have the knife in a bag, and the bag is attached to you while you sit in your car, that is probably considered "on your person".

When reading the statute, California defines a fixed blade knife as a dirk or dagger. Don't get hung up on the meaning of Dirk or Dagger in common or historical terms. As it relates to California law, if you can stab someone with it, and it is not a closed folding knife, it is a dirk or dagger. Screwdrivers, ice picks, sharpened sticks, steak knives, etc. have all been successfully prosecuted as Dirks or Daggers when concealed upon the person.

Gryff
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM

I always heard it that cops were the ones who were too smart to be lawyers.