PDA

View Full Version : Going to the SFO airport with my Sig 556

judofraze
05-10-2010, 5:35 PM
Hi all. I just bought my first sig 556 from another cal-gunner and plan to take it to florida on friday to go shooting with my cousin. Has anyone here flown out of SFO with an OLL, and if so, did you face any unusual hassles at the airport?

I've read all the rules regarding declaration and tsa approved locks and am good with that. I'm just concerned about tsa reps taking one look at it and confiscating it as an "assault weapon".

Really appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks.

dieselpower
05-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Federal agencies don't have authority, nor the training to enforce California State law. You may find a FUD gun owner TSA agent, but then again, just carry the Flow Chart and OLL paperwork with the firearm.

Suvorov
05-10-2010, 7:38 PM
I fly out of SFO with OLLs regularly. Use a hard side case with NON TSA locks! Declare the firearm and then it will be taken to be inspected by the TSA before the ticket agent tags the bag. Once inspected YOU lock it up with NON TSA locks and retain the key. I carry a copy of the flow chart as well as the Sac PD and Orange County Sheriff OLL memos. You will be good to go. TSAs job is not firearms law enforcement. One important thing to note is to give yourself about an extra half hour as it can sometimes take a little while for the TSA agent to come to inspect your bag depending on terminal. I would suggest arriving at the airport about 1.5 hours before your flight.

duckman1
05-10-2010, 9:16 PM
I've flown out of SF several times with long guns. It's pretty easy really, just go to the tsa website print off the procedures and follow them. You might want to hit the airline website and review their procedures as well. I always print a copy and bring it along.

Omega13device
05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Put aside 30 minutes to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

anniepoks
05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Federal agencies don't have authority, nor the training to enforce California State law. You may find a FUD gun owner TSA agent, but then again, just carry the Flow Chart and OLL paperwork with the firearm.

TSA do not enforce CA state law. their sole duty is enforcing aviation security - making sure your weapon is safely boarding the aircraft. i dont think they will hassle you in any way except IF you do not have approved gun case for travel,
locks (i dont know how many required - at least 2 or 3 i believe).

joelogic
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Underpaid employees dont even try to learn the laws, they know policy. Just dont show up with a loaded gun and you are GTG.

Empty gun, hard case, locks.

anniepoks
05-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Underpaid employees dont even try to learn the laws, they know policy. Just dont show up with a loaded gun and you are GTG.
Empty gun, hard case, locks.

TRUE. reminds me of this as well:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/baggage_theft.shtm

Manic Moran
05-11-2010, 8:29 AM
Although the comments about TSA not enforcing local regulations are correct, they will routinely ask the local policeman at the airport to have a gander at whatever it is they've found if they think it's dodgy, and the policeman -will- enforce local laws. I've seen it happen for drugs. That said, I don't believe I've ever seen police called for a firearm which was correctly stored, however. Doesn't mean to say it hasn't happened when I'm not around though.

NTM

judofraze
05-11-2010, 9:56 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Made me feel a little better about the trip.

GearHead
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Flown out of SJC and back with my AR twice, no problems either time. Just get there early.

Spaceghost
05-11-2010, 1:25 PM
Where are you landing in Florida? I flew from SFO to MIA with a rifle and the idiots put the gun case out with the rest of bags instead of holding it! I was in the back of the plane and by the time I got off it had gone around an unknown number of times....

CSACANNONEER
05-11-2010, 1:30 PM

WRONG! Many Federal LEAs routinely enforce Ca laws. Think about all the BLM "rangers" who enforce Ca firearms laws on BLM land.

That said, the OP should not have a problem at any large airport if he knows the TSA and his airlines rules before arriving at the airport.

WW2Buff
05-11-2010, 3:53 PM
Where are you landing in Florida? I flew from SFO to MIA with a rifle and the idiots put the gun case out with the rest of bags instead of holding it! I was in the back of the plane and by the time I got off it had gone around an unknown number of times....

That has happened to me only once. I was happy the case was discreet. All other times it has been waiting in a room to be picked up. -Ben

Wnick308
05-11-2010, 4:21 PM
This guy talks about how he does it and gives good info about rights and wrongs.

http://www.8541tactical.com/flyingfirearms.php

Suvorov
05-11-2010, 9:38 PM

This is a good point! I have had this happen a few times in SFO with Continental airlines. They are supposed to keep "sporting equipment" in the baggage service office, but it doesn't always work that way. So I would beat feet to the baggage claim so that you are there before the bags start coming off. The best way to do this is sit near the front of the aircraft. If that means paying the extra $$$ to get economy plus (United) or the like, then the extra $30 might just be worth the piece of mind.