PDA

View Full Version : 2 handguns within 30 days.

ajwells
03-09-2006, 1:47 PM
Does anyone know the logic behind this law? Is there any?

Also, if I were to do a private transfer through a FFL, does that count as one of my two? I just did a FFL transfer and now want to buy a .45 but don't know if I'll be able to.

bwiese
03-09-2006, 1:58 PM
Regular "purchases" of handguns, where you buy from a dealer's inventory, are limited to one in 30 days.

There is no limit to PPT transfers of handguns. PPT transfers will not interfere with the once-in-30-days-for-a-new-gun, either.

So if you did a PPT already, and you see a 1911 on the shelf, go ahead and buy that 1911, you're good to go.

Rumpled
03-09-2006, 1:59 PM
Logic, you think logic works with these people? The banners put any obstruction they can get away with in our way.

The law does not apply to PPT, so go ahead.

ajwells
03-09-2006, 2:13 PM
Okay good, thanks.

--

Yeah i didn't think there'd be any logic behind it. Just wondering what they said the reason was, like maybe your more likely to kill if you buy more than one gun or something stupid like that.

Is this 30day wait period only in Kali? Or is it a nationwide thing?

Satex
03-09-2006, 2:15 PM
Before I get scolded by the masses, I believe that the legislative logic is as follows:
Handguns are the most commonly used weapon in crime. Criminals can't get a handgun themselves (background check) so they will send someone to make a straw purchase for them. Since they need "many" handguns, if one person is limited to the number of handguns they can purchase, criminals can be prevented access to handguns.

Again, that is not my view, but I believe that this was the intent behind this rule. I have no clue if it has actual merit.

ajwells
03-09-2006, 2:22 PM
I guess that makes sense in a libral, we gotta think of something, sorta way. At least it's a reason, better than just "because we say so".

EBWhite
03-09-2006, 2:38 PM
I guess that makes sense in a libral, we gotta think of something, sorta way. At least it's a reason, better than just "because we say so".

Well, it does make sense in what he said about straw purchases...HOWEVER, straw purchases are already against the law, so that logic does not work since straw purchases are already banned

Can'thavenuthingood
03-09-2006, 2:40 PM
I think its all a ruse for revenue generation.

Taxes, fees, surcharges, bail etc.

Vick

ajwells
03-09-2006, 2:54 PM
Well, it does make sense in what he said about straw purchases...HOWEVER, straw purchases are already against the law, so that logic does not work since straw purchases are already banned

Oh yeah, so it's probably just a way of keeping a lot of guns out of the ownership of the people in case of a revolt or a riot or something. You can't supply your entire block with guns if you only got enough for yourself.

24thMED
03-09-2006, 2:54 PM
I believe the "crime" they are trying to prevent is "Trafficking". They don't want anyone to become the "Lord of War" and buy 1000 hand guns at one time to arm the neighborhood......

timmy8151
03-10-2006, 9:59 AM
Regular "purchases" of handguns, where you buy from a dealer's inventory, are limited to one in 30 days.

There is no limit to PPT transfers of handguns. PPT transfers will not interfere with the once-in-30-days-for-a-new-gun, either.

So if you did a PPT already, and you see a 1911 on the shelf, go ahead and buy that 1911, you're good to go.

Quick question. What if you purchase a gun online and have it sent to a FFL to do the DROS? Could you do 2 guns in a month with this? Technically, the gun isn't in the dealer's inventory because he's not the one who purchased it, I did.

ohsmily
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Quick question. What if you purchase a gun online and have it sent to a FFL to do the DROS? Could you do 2 guns in a month with this? Technically, the gun isn't in the dealer's inventory because he's not the one who purchased it, I did.

No, that is a dealer sale, not a PPT. 1 per month for those transactions.

spunk2
03-16-2006, 9:50 PM
-----------------------------------------

Its just a Kali thing. Arizona you can walk into a store and walk out with as many guns as you want. Same day too, no waiting period. We need to update Cali's gun laws to be up to speed with the rest of the nation.

xenophobe
03-16-2006, 9:59 PM
Logic, you think logic works with these people? The banners put any obstruction they can get away with in our way.

The law does not apply to PPT, so go ahead.

The logic behind this is if you're buying new guns, you can only buy one a month, but if you're buying someone's personal collection, you can transfer it over without having to dros one pistol per month...

techenigma
03-16-2006, 11:11 PM

Its just a Kali thing. Arizona you can walk into a store and walk out with as many guns as you want. Same day too, no waiting period. We need to update Cali's gun laws to be up to speed with the rest of the nation.

I think we used to function along with the rest of the nation... then we became Kalifornia. I heard the Census Burea just released the County with the most population growth recently and it was Maricopa County in Arizona, home to Scottsdale/Phoenix. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

The logic behind this is if you're buying new guns, you can only buy one a month, but if you're buying someone's personal collection, you can transfer it over without having to dros one pistol per month...

I've spent enough time with the last 4 guns I did via PPT I almost want to give up gun buying all together. I could take out 3 mortgages and still have less damn paper thrown at me.

jessegpresley
03-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Isn't there some sort of license you can apply for that exempts you from the 1 every 30 days?

timmy8151
03-17-2006, 5:16 AM
Isn't there some sort of license you can apply for that exempts you from the 1 every 30 days?

Yes. If you have a C&R FFL and a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) you are exempt from the 1 handgun a month rule.

In fact I just sent off my paperwork for a COE the other day. Hopefully it only takes a week to process as it did for another Calguns member.

Bling Bling 2.0
03-17-2006, 8:01 AM
The real issue here is making sure the liberals and soccer moms can sleep well at night knowing that you can only buy 1 brand new gun a month. Doesn't that just make you safe? Just think of all the crimes that are NOT happening because of this wonderful law. Wait that would be NONE...

This law was created to try and put gun stores out of business. As far as what the anti's public rationale was for this... none. Because nothing was needed. Who cares about them? It was just a way to try and make it look like they were doing something about crime so they could get re-elected. Remember they don't have to actually reduce crime; just make their constituents THINK they are doing it. Easiest way to do that is whine about guns. Now you are thinking like a liberal (except you probably weren't as high as they were).

Mike Searson
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually these laws were started by the liberal hysterics of big cities that already restrict handgun ownership like NY and Boston.

They stated that criminals were buying up trunkloads of cheap guns in Florida, Virginia, etc and importing them to their cities.

It's not total fantasy. When I was a teenager in NYC; I knew some folks that made alot of money doing this...I bought my first guns in this manner as well.

California obviously passed this law to stop the easy flow of handguns to neighboring states such as Arizona and Nevada.
:)

Reminds me of one of my last handgun purchases before I left kali...the "help" at the gunshop counter asked me for proof of residency and I quipped...

"If I wasn't a California resident I wouldn't be going through all this BS?"
"What BS?"
"The DROS, the 10-day wait for my lawfully owned property, submitting prints, etc...do you really have Nevada residents coming in here to buy handguns to get one over on the DOJ?"
"So you're not a California resident?"
"Unfortunately, I am one today."