PDA

View Full Version : Sprint HTC Evo

trg-s338
05-10-2010, 3:29 PM
What are your thoughts on the Sprint HTC EVO? Is that forthcoming phone going to be a good, competetive devise for the Android platform?

boosterboy
05-10-2010, 3:45 PM
I think it's a great phone, the HDMI out is pretty cool. The resolution of the screen is just incredible, great if you're viewing stuff like PDF files or documents or just web pages, or remote desktop sessions.

Android has grown, and I do like the fact that it's a standalone OS, doesn't require synching, and has a tangible file manage, like windows explorer.

I think Sprint's AnyMobile policy is pretty cool, especially for those of us who rarely ever call landlines.

I just hope other incarnations of this phone make it to other carriers, both GSM and CDMA.

trapshot68
05-10-2010, 4:33 PM
It's good enough to hold me off from jumping ship when my contract expires. I love the coverage and pricing of my plan with Sprint, but the phones have been ho-hum.

donkey12
05-10-2010, 4:45 PM
im waiting for the phone to come out and start a plan with sprint i live in so cal corona hows the internet with sprint is the 3g everywhere and if not then are you running on edge is it fast also does anybody know if the mobile hotspot is free with the phone

jtv3062
05-13-2010, 5:03 PM
the hot spot feature is extra somthing like 20 30 dollars a month. I'm waiting for June 4 I hope I'm able to pick one up on that day.

jtv3062
05-13-2010, 5:06 PM
Oh there's a 10 dollar monthly charge for the 4g service which I'll be happy to pay for. I'm on my treo so I can edit my last post to add this sorry.

JDay
05-13-2010, 5:22 PM
I'll pass, its not a true 4G phone its WiMax. WiMax is old technology (10+ years). True 4G will be coming from Verizon later this year and is much faster (100mbit vs the EVOs 6mbit max speed).

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224701832

Federal Communications Commission chairman Julius Genachowski and commissioner Meredith Baker Wednesday hailed Verizon Wireless' plan to bring its robust Long-Term Evolution network to rural areas. Verizon has already committed to deploy LTE in at least 25 U.S. urban areas by the end of the year.

Verizon Wireless, which is jointly owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group, would have much to gain by rolling out LTE in rural areas and the high-speed service could be a boon for consumers in rural areas as well.

"Bringing the benefits of mobile broadband to rural America is one of the Commission's top priorities," Genachowski and Baker said in a joint statement. "The news of Verizon Wireless' plan to partner with rural providers to accelerate investment in 4G networks is very encouraging. Seamless universal connectivity is essential to economic growth and world-class technology leadership."

The joint statement is a rare current example of agreement among FCC commissioners from different political parties. Genachowski is a Democrat and Baker a Republican.

Fantasma
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I'll pass, its not a true 4G phone its WiMax. WiMax is old technology (10+ years). True 4G will be coming from Verizon later this year and is much faster (100mbit vs the EVOs 6mbit max speed).

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224701832

Yeah I agree, Sprint is just trying to beat everyone else by adding a mediocre wimax and naming it 4g to beat the competition when in fact its just 3g on roids, Verizon will roll out true 4g Later this year and the way verizon has now become more open expect their 4g phone to be killer if they don't end up with EVO themselves.

By the way, the EVO is nice but the Incredible does most everything it can do and you can buy it now.

EVO just has

EVO| INREDIBLE
4.3 TFT vs 3.7 LED (LED newer technology)
720P recording vs 480P (Incredible is capable of 720P but its not enabled)
HDMI out vs analog out (will you really use this)
same 1ghz processor

Incredible and EVO are so alike, its just boils down to sprints 4g which who knows how it will run or verizon's proven 3g coverage ....

maurice05
05-17-2010, 6:58 PM
Its 4g in limited markets i have been to 7 tower upgrades and thats how its being explained to us i kno for the Los Angeles area Clear Wire reps told me but for it to be called 4g it has to meet certain standards set by the 4g Working group

FastFinger
05-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a couple of old cells on the Sprint SERO paln, all we can eat for about $70/m, tough to jump that up to $150 for the 2 EVOs, but will probably do it soon enough.

bboyin4food
05-24-2010, 6:36 PM
ive been with t-mobile for 6 years, they tried to screw me when i tried to get the nexus one. so its time for a change. its the EVO for me, all the stats are there. i could really care less about the 4G/wimax since its not even in my area right now. im still on EDGE so even 3G is a big bump up.

already pre-ordered and cant wait to have a REAL phone. Android is an awesome OS, lots of things you can do with it.

JDay
05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
ive been with t-mobile for 6 years, they tried to screw me when i tried to get the nexus one. so its time for a change.

Just how did they try to screw you if you buy the phone direct from Google?

Set4Success
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
You're comparing 2 HTC phones (EVO vs Incr). HTC just makes amazing phones, and new ones roll out every other month. I've been a long fan of HTC, from TyTN, II, HD, HD2, TP, TP2, Diamond, etc etc. The EVO 4G will just be another HTC phone I own for the brief 2-6mo period till they roll out the next big thing.

As far as mobile hotspot for $30/mo - well they have already rooted the EVO, and they did it before the phone is even out. Hello free tethering/ mobile hotspot. Goodbye $30/mo

trapshot68
05-25-2010, 7:04 AM
Yeah, but I'm not buying the phone for 4g. Evo is out in a couple of weeks. I'm not eligable for a renewal till august anyways, so I'll wait. But I'm willing to stay with Sprint. I get a good discount with them. Coverage has been excellent. Their phones up until recently sucked, but the Evo is making me willing to not go through the hassle of porting my number. If the Evo hadn't come along, I'd be over to Verizon and use the Droid that my Aunt is getting rid of.

And you do know that Sprint and Verizon have a tower sharing agreement right? So even though I'm roaming on Verizon's towers, I still get free data and texting. "There's a map for that" Yeah, sprint uses the same map.

Yeah I agree, Sprint is just trying to beat everyone else by adding a mediocre wimax and naming it 4g to beat the competition when in fact its just 3g on roids, Verizon will roll out true 4g Later this year and the way verizon has now become more open expect their 4g phone to be killer if they don't end up with EVO themselves.

By the way, the EVO is nice but the Incredible does most everything it can do and you can buy it now.

EVO just has

EVO| INREDIBLE
4.3 TFT vs 3.7 LED (LED newer technology)
720P recording vs 480P (Incredible is capable of 720P but its not enabled)
HDMI out vs analog out (will you really use this)
same 1ghz processor

Incredible and EVO are so alike, its just boils down to sprints 4g which who knows how it will run or verizon's proven 3g coverage ....

FastFinger
05-25-2010, 9:26 PM
You're comparing 2 HTC phones (EVO vs Incr). HTC just makes amazing phones, and new ones roll out every other month. I've been a long fan of HTC, from TyTN, II, HD, HD2, TP, TP2, Diamond, etc etc. The EVO 4G will just be another HTC phone I own for the brief 2-6mo period till they roll out the next big thing.

As far as mobile hotspot for $30/mo - well they have already rooted the EVO, and they did it before the phone is even out. Hello free tethering/ mobile hotspot. Goodbye $30/mo

So, with the EVO I can travel and as long as I get a signal I can tether my laptop and surf on it?

Marsoc1
05-26-2010, 9:57 AM
evo looks like a great phone but with any tech theres always gonna be flaws to the unit itself and to the end user. If i was on sprint i would get one, lookings very promising. But I have a nexus one, i got complains and love for it. A matter of fact im using my froyo hotspot to give my car wifi and im actually using my laptop as i speak. Much love with the updates tho, actually sitting in the car at a 711 by angeles range with being charge extra outta pocket for hotspot or tethering. :D

Loner
05-26-2010, 7:27 PM
evo looks like a great phone but with any tech theres always gonna be flaws to the unit itself and to the end user. If i was on sprint i would get one, lookings very promising. But I have a nexus one, i got complains and love for it. A matter of fact im using my froyo hotspot to give my car wifi and im actually using my laptop as i speak. Much love with the updates tho, actually sitting in the car at a 711 by angeles range with being charge extra outta pocket for hotspot or tethering. :D
T-Mobile or AT&T?

Marsoc1
05-27-2010, 8:34 PM
T-Mobile or AT&T?

Tmobile, didnt expect to get 3g when i was at angeles but i did in the parking lot. I was on yahoo messager chatting, then it was "brb, imma go shoot a bit down range" Lol

Loner
05-27-2010, 9:21 PM
I lose my t-mobile signal right when I get to the bench to shoot.

trg-s338
05-29-2010, 1:55 AM
My Sprint Store says the EVO won't be immediately available on June 4rth because Sprint intends to service those who pre-ordered first. The store rep does not know when they will be available at the Sprint Store. Is this true? If so, does anyone have any grapevine info on when they might be available widely?

AlliedArmory
05-29-2010, 1:44 PM
They have been taking pre-orders at BestBuy for some time now.

I am heavily considering getting this phone instead of getting the new iPhone. But who knows till the reviews come out for both phones.

I have been a Sprint customer since 1998 and have always been happy with their service

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Sprint+HTC+EVO/pcmcat208500050003.c?id=pcmcat208500050003

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2010/pof/pcon/evo_4g/images/HTC_EVO_4G_google.jpg

SixPointEight
05-29-2010, 2:20 PM
I'll be getting it at some point. Even though sac isn't slated to get 4g until "late 3rd or 4th quarter" which, if you keep up with Sprint the way I do...means 1st/2nd quarter next year. DO I want to pay 60$ extra for a service I can't use yet? Idk...

Loner
05-31-2010, 9:06 PM
They have been taking pre-orders at BestBuy for some time now.

I am heavily considering getting this phone instead of getting the new iPhone. But who knows till the reviews come out for both phones.

I have been a Sprint customer since 1998 and have always been happy with their service

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/Sprint+HTC+EVO/pcmcat208500050003.c?id=pcmcat208500050003

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2010/pof/pcon/evo_4g/images/HTC_EVO_4G_google.jpg
Engadget and Gizmodo did some reviews on the EVO few weeks ago.

bboyin4food
06-02-2010, 6:46 PM
Just how did they try to screw you if you buy the phone direct from Google?

*id be paying more a month for less minutes. because the nexus one is only available with one plan that offers only 500 minutes.

* the Nexus one is only 179 for NEW customers. for me they are gonna charge $300 how is that taking care of loyal customers?

* im getting less t-mobile reception in more areas, my parents new house has NO reception, my work has very little. their network has always let me down when ive needed it the most! i remember being in downtown SAN FRANCISCO, and i had no reception. makes me scared for emergencies.

* plus my employer just gave us a sprint discount, so id be paying about the same amount i do now, but with MUCH more benefits - better coverage, faster network, etc.

overall i like t-mobile, but being disappointed over the nexus one was the last straw.

davhed
06-04-2010, 5:10 PM

InfoWeek makes 4G LTE look fantastic, for sure. I happen to be an industry insider and my contacts (and experience) tell me, WiMax has been tested up to 20MB/s and sees regular 8-10MB/s in production. 4G LTE has been tested up to 100MB/s, but the production services will start at 20MB/s max. They don't even do road testing of LTE at higher bandwidth than 20MB/s, because it's just not stable.

Also know that 4G LTE rollout will start this year... in 4 cities expanding to (hopefully) 25 by 12/31/2010. We won't see widespread usage for at least 18 months. WiMax will have 100,000+ users at that point, so even if it's not the fastest thing out there I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the next tech to come blow your mind.

EDIT: Also interesting to note that Sprint has been recognized as the most stable and consistent 3G platform, although it is one of the slowest at an average 550kb/s. While AT&T is recognized as the fastest (up to 3MB/s in some pockets) it has the least reliable services of all carriers. So stability and speed seem to be opposing options at this time.

JDay
06-04-2010, 9:41 PM
*id be paying more a month for less minutes. because the nexus one is only available with one plan that offers only 500 minutes.

That's only if you get the subsidized option (i.e. get the plan that costs more), this is to help them recoup the subsidized price of the phone. You can still outright buy the phone and pay less per month and have more plan flexibility.

Shenaniguns
06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I love this phone :) (sorry for the crappy pic)

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c0cb15b7.jpg

JDay
06-06-2010, 1:17 AM
http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/Bite_405_2_.jpg

8JcLRScNUR8

nd9X60M_Knc

JDay
06-06-2010, 1:38 AM
I forgot to add, there's already a way to root the EVO. If you do this you can use it as a mobile hotspot without paying extra.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690762

jtv3062
06-06-2010, 6:48 AM
Yes the evo is amazing. the speak to text feature is amazing also.

bombadillo
06-06-2010, 7:37 AM
I'm torn on the Evo vs. the Incredible for plans. Sprint keeps trying to jerk me around saying the phone will be 300 bucks with my upgrade. I've been with them for 10 years now and have an instinct as well as a palm pre and they'll be 2 years old in august. I don't see where they're getting 3 bills per Evo. My wife and I both want a new phone and if they can keep up with verizon, it'll be sweet but I don't want to get in bed with another 2 year contract if they're gonna suck. Service in my house sucks too and it is my primary line so calls are important to me and I have missed calls here. We'll see...

SixPointEight
06-06-2010, 8:37 AM
I love this phone :) (sorry for the crappy pic)

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c0cb15b7.jpg

Nice. My TP is giving me a ton of problems recently. Stuck between being poor and getting the Hero, or dealing with crap for a while till I can afford evo.

Baconator
06-06-2010, 8:41 AM
will be getting mine tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think about it.

JDay
06-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm torn on the Evo vs. the Incredible for plans. Sprint keeps trying to jerk me around saying the phone will be 300 bucks with my upgrade. I've been with them for 10 years now and have an instinct as well as a palm pre and they'll be 2 years old in august. I don't see where they're getting 3 bills per Evo. My wife and I both want a new phone and if they can keep up with verizon, it'll be sweet but I don't want to get in bed with another 2 year contract if they're gonna suck. Service in my house sucks too and it is my primary line so calls are important to me and I have missed calls here. We'll see...

Verizons 4G (LTE) will be much faster than Sprints 4G (WiMAX). The launch isn't far off either.

bboyin4food
06-06-2010, 6:18 PM
totally geeking out all weekend after i got the EVO on launch day. so far its met all my expectations and more! only thing is the battery life really sucks. didnt expect it to be all that great anyway, but im running some power management apps to keep it alive.

bombadillo
06-06-2010, 8:17 PM
I've seen that you have to turn the GPS off of it and it helps a good amount.

bboyin4food
06-06-2010, 8:54 PM
I've seen that you have to turn the GPS off of it and it helps a good amount.

from what ive read, GPS doesnt actually use much battery unless you have an app running that uses it. its more bluetooth, wi-fi, and 3G. surprisingly, ive heard the HUGE screen uses very little power also.

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f10/how-to-properly-test-active-gps-power-consumption-11667/

jtv3062
06-07-2010, 6:23 PM
I pulled the power cord at 4:50 this morning, the gps is on blue tooth on and the WiFi is off and now it's 7:13 the battery is a little under 50%. I surfed the web watch a video clip and show a few guys some of the features of this phone. I'm surprised the battery lasted this long from all of the reviews I have read. I hope everybody has the same results.

Shenaniguns
06-07-2010, 6:42 PM
I adjusted some of the settings and it is muuuuuuuuuch better now :)

http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/20-tips-to-improve-htc-evo-4g-battery-life.html

bboyin4food
06-08-2010, 5:28 PM
anyone have any luck with 'qik' yet? i know their servers are overloaded but earlier i was able to connect with my girlfriend. she was able to see and hear me live, but i couldnt see anything on my end. I was able to make a successful video call using 'Fring' last night also.

I adjusted some of the settings and it is muuuuuuuuuch better now :)

http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/20-tips-to-improve-htc-evo-4g-battery-life.html

thanks for that link! i think that should help out a lot with the battery life.

jtv3062
06-08-2010, 7:18 PM
8hrs58mins since I unplugged the power cord and the battery level just turned yellow. I've been on the web over WiFi for the last 2 hours. moderate usage throughout the day.

I haven't used qik yet. The voice to text is pretty neat.
I'm pretty impressed with the Evo so far.

jtv3062
06-08-2010, 7:19 PM
Double post