PDA

View Full Version : Locked Container vs Cable Lock

Zomgie
05-10-2010, 3:05 PM
For purposes of transporting a handgun, what does a cable lock count as? It's not a container, but the gun is definitely secured.

I've gone over the Transporting section in the wiki but haven't found anything to help.

djleisure
05-10-2010, 3:10 PM
A locked container is just that. It is a fully-enclosed container which does not allow access to the handgun without unlocking it. A cable lock simply makes the gun unable to fire, but will still allow access to the gun.

Zomgie
05-10-2010, 3:18 PM
So... does it legally do anything? Or was I required to buy a cable lock just for the hell of it, since I have to lock the case in order to transport it anyways?

Hoologan
05-10-2010, 3:25 PM
Interesting question. I brought my buddy to the range with me and when we arrived I found that he didn't have his revolver in a "locked" container, but instead just had a cable though the cylinder. I don't think that's legal, but begs the question why??

Also begs the question if I were the one driving and a traffic stop resulted in a search (because perhaps someone couldn't keep their mouth shut) in which the officer found his revolver being illegally transported, who would be at risk? Me, the driver of the vehicle or him, the owner of the firearm?

Glock22Fan
05-10-2010, 3:26 PM
A cable lock has little or no legal value, except that it might satisfy the requirements so that you are not held legally liable if a child in your household misuses the firearm.

As applied to transport it is legally valueless, but it does have some value in the home to prevent untrained people having nasty accidents.

Another example of politicians harrassing us as, as you say, they could easily sell you a lockable case which is good for both purposes.

Flintlock Tom
05-10-2010, 4:22 PM
The cable lock is simply to satisfy the law. When you take a new handgun home, you must have a new trigger/cable lock. The law does not require the new gun owner to attach it to his new gun.
The last time I purchased a handgun I bought Wal-Mart's cheapest trigger lock, let my dealer photo-copy the receipt, put the gun in my locking case, then I returned the lock to Wal-Mart and took my gun home. All laws complied with.

Most of California's gun laws are written by politicians who have zero knowledge of the exigencies of gun ownership.

halifax
05-10-2010, 4:39 PM
Wrap the cable lock around the hand hole on the pistol case until tight enough to not open and lock it. Viola, locked case.

Glock22Fan
05-10-2010, 5:24 PM
Wrap the cable lock around the hand hole on the pistol case until tight enough to not open and lock it. Viola, locked case.

I've done that, but often the cable is just too short or, with one less wrap, just too long. Sometimes works though.

Librarian
05-10-2010, 6:22 PM
So... does it legally do anything? Or was I required to buy a cable lock just for the hell of it, since I have to lock the case in order to transport it anyways?

Two different parts of the PC. Dealers cannot deliver a handgun without a 'safety device', which includes a cable lock.

Owners who choose to transport their handguns concealed must do it in a fully-enclosed locked container.

Of course, it all makes no sense. This is California.

IW378
05-10-2010, 6:38 PM
If I choose not to transport it concealed can I then just have it sitting on the passenger seat unloaded ? I didn't know there were choices.
Makes no sense is correct.

Cokebottle
05-10-2010, 6:42 PM
You had to buy the cable lock because the BATF doesn't recognize California's Safe Affidavit.

Beyond that, if you have no children in the home and children do not have access to the home (or the guns are locked in a safe), the cable lock is 100% worthless. The cable lock is not considered a secure container for reasons of transport or carry within a school zone.

And yes... I had a Turner's employee tell me that the cable lock was good for transport without a separate locked container :eek:.
Also had another employee at the same store tell my wife that for transport, the gun must have BOTH the cable lock AND be secured in a locked container.

Cokebottle
05-10-2010, 6:43 PM
If I choose not to transport it concealed can I then just have it sitting on the passenger seat unloaded ? I didn't know there were choices.
Makes no sense is correct.
Yes and no.
It's legal unless you are within 1000ft of a school.
If you are pulled over, you can expect to be proned out and cuffed.

santacruzstefan
05-10-2010, 7:47 PM

Heh, this is what I've been doing, with the case my Glock came with. Seems to work pretty well, at least you cant open it without unlocking it.

huck
05-10-2010, 7:58 PM
Or you can drill a hole through the case and put the cable lock through it.

Zomgie
05-10-2010, 8:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I hate buying useless things...

todd2968
05-10-2010, 9:20 PM
When I was stationed in Mississippi your car was an extension of your home and you could drive down main street with a loaded pistol on your dash board if you wanted. In some counties you could have open containers.
So imagine driving down main street with a beer in one hand and a pistol in the other (as long as your not over the legal limit)

I went to a gun show to sell an SKS and a guy paid me for it in the parking lot before I walked in the building and it was all perfectly legal.

Texas Boy
05-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Also begs the question if I were the one driving and a traffic stop resulted in a search (because perhaps someone couldn't keep their mouth shut) in which the officer found his revolver being illegally transported, who would be at risk? Me, the driver of the vehicle or him, the owner of the firearm?

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. Also, what if the driver is transporting illegally, but the passenger's gun is legal? I'm guessing in either case, everyone goes to jail and it all gets sorted out in the courts. Hopefully in both cases, only the owner of the illegally transported gun would have charges stick, and the other poor fellow would, after spending lots of $$$ on legal, have all charges dropped and eventually get his guns back.

huck
05-11-2010, 8:47 AM
I'd like to know the answer to this one too. Also, what if the driver is transporting illegally, but the passenger's gun is legal? I'm guessing in either case, everyone goes to jail and it all gets sorted out in the courts. Hopefully in both cases, only the owner of the illegally transported gun would have charges stick, and the other poor fellow would, after spending lots of $$$ on legal, have all charges dropped and eventually get his guns back.

My guess: The police take the pistol, the driver gets a ticket. The owner of the pistol has to go to the police station to get his pistol back and the owner of the car has to pay the fine on the ticket.