PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Handgun Loan Legalities

Heatseeker
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm planning on loaning a handgun to a non-prohibited person out of state strictly for home defense. The duration could be anywhere from 1-6 months. I plan on transporting the gun there myself via airline. The person will be relocating to Ca. within the next 6 months and the gun will be brought back in at that point. I will actually be assisting in the relocation and will be driving the gun back with me.

Are there any legal issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Librarian
05-10-2010, 1:44 PM
I'm planning on loaning a handgun to a non-prohibited person out of state strictly for home defense. The duration could be anywhere from 1-6 months. I plan on transporting the gun there myself via airline. The person will be relocating to Ca. within the next 6 months and the gun will be brought back in at that point. I will actually be assisting in the relocation and will be driving the gun back with me.

Are there any legal issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Interstate loans from private persons are legal, for sporting purposes.

Otherwise the transfer is supposed to go through an FFL in the state of residence of the person receiving the gun.

Practically speaking, that would become an issue only if detected, say, because the person had to use the gun in self defense.

If it made financial sense, I'd rather lend the person the money to buy his/her own copy of something not on the Roster, which they could PPT to you once they get here. Spend the visit shopping and teaching the person, if needed (or just go shooting together, if not needed).

Heatseeker
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info.