PDA

View Full Version : Are .410 shotgun uppers legal?

gunprofit
05-10-2010, 8:59 AM
I have seen some .410 shotgun uppers in local gunshops. Are they legal to put on a lower and make a magazine fed shotgun in Kali? I always thought the drum and magazine shotguns were not legal. Hence, not seeing any Saiga mag shotguns here.

Chris M
05-10-2010, 9:06 AM
I have seen some .410 shotgun uppers in local gunshops. Are they legal to put on a lower and make a magazine fed shotgun in Kali? I always thought the drum and magazine shotguns were not legal. Hence, not seeing any Saiga mag shotguns here.

Have you taken a look at this?

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

scc1909
05-10-2010, 9:34 AM
Gee, Chris...that's a right friendly answer to a newbie's innocent question. *rollseyes*

Gunprofit, a better answer to your question might be, "One has to be careful when building a shotgun from such components, as there are several potential legal "gotchas" to look out for. I suggest you carefully review this document (see link above) and get back to us with any open questions. Good luck with your build...sounds like a fun project!"

bigmike82
05-10-2010, 9:40 AM
What was wrong with what he said?

He showed him how to get the answer he's looking for...

IrishPirate
05-10-2010, 9:43 AM
as long as you follow the flow chart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf) you'll be fine.

Chris M
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
What was wrong with what he said?

He showed him how to get the answer he's looking for...

Exactly. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just showing him where to find the answers to his questions.

Gunprofit, a better answer to your question might be, "One has to be careful when building a shotgun from such components, as there are several potential legal "gotchas" to look out for. I suggest you carefully review this document (see link above) and get back to us with any open questions. Good luck with your build...sounds like a fun project!"

Well, I'm sorry for not providing a long-winded answer. :rolleyes: I figured a simple question, and a link to the answer would suffice. Sometimes I post on there from my mobile phone, and i don't feel like typing out long-winded answers on a tiny keyboard.

scc1909
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
If I or anyone else who's been active here for a while asked that question, I would agree with you, Chris. OTOH, telling a newbie bluntly to 'read the FAQ' is not, IMO, the kind of encouragement we should be extending to our new members. If you don't have time for a proper answer, or "long-winded" (gee, three lines is now "long-winded"...who knew?) as you put it, why not wait to let someone else answer?

Chris M
05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
If I or anyone else who's been active here for a while asked that question, I would agree with you, Chris. OTOH, telling a newbie bluntly to 'read the FAQ' is not, IMO, the kind of encouragement we should be extending to our new members. If you don't have time for a proper answer, or "long-winded" (gee, three lines is now "long-winded"...who knew?) as you put it, why not wait to let someone else answer?

It is when you're typing on a keyboard that measures 2.5" x 1.25" with keys that are just over 1/8" wide.

Plus, I'd hardly call someone who's been a member for nearly 8 months a 'newbie'.

I didn't TELL the OP to "Read the FAQ". I asked him if he had already read the flowchart. If he had, and still had questions, I would have been more than happy to assist where possible. If he hadn't...well, then now he knows where to find it.

Read my original post however you'd like. there was no ill-intention. I was just trying to help the guy out.

Texas Boy
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
So a .410 shotgun upper on an AR with a bullet button and a fixed stock would be legal?

Note: reading the chart, semi auto shotgun w/ folding/adjustable stock AND pistol grip is bad, but either feature alone is OK. "Detachable" mag is bad all by itself. But we all know that a bullet button means the mag is NOT detachable.

EBR Works
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
So a .410 shotgun upper on an AR with a bullet button and a fixed stock would be legal?

Note: reading the chart, semi auto shotgun w/ folding/adjustable stock AND pistol grip is bad, but either feature alone is OK. "Detachable" mag is bad all by itself. But we all know that a bullet button means the mag is NOT detachable.

Yes

thrillhouse700
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
That's awesome, someone machine us a 12g AR!!! Ill be in.

EBR Works
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
That's awesome, someone machine us a 12g AR!!! Ill be in.

Here ya go:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/12/atis-new-12-gauge-ar-15-patterned-shotgun/

IrishPirate
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/12/atis-new-12-gauge-ar-15-patterned-shotgun/

gotta read it carefully....
Later this year American Tactical Imports will be importing a semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun patterened after the AR-15. Note I said patterned I am not sure if it contains any AR-15 compatible parts.

I'd buy a 12ga or 20ga upper for an AR if they make them just to take it to my buddies duck club and see the faces they make when they see ducks were taken with an "AR".