PDA

View Full Version : Mag/Grip Questions

FAT DUCK
03-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Hey guys,I'm new to the forum and AR -15's. I have a few questions.
What is the deal with pistols grips. Does the Bushmaster carbon 15 have a pistol grip? Why do some say it's illegal? Does combining a pistol grip with a detachable mag cause trouble?

I see many pictures with magazines in the rifles. I was under the impression that one could not have a detachable mag. I hear many of you say they are pinned down.

So does that mean that it's only for looks?

How do you load them? Like the Bushmaster carbon 15 Ca Legal?

I'm just asking, Yes, I am ignorant when it comes to this rifle. I want to get a rifle and I am simply seeking knowledge.

Thanks,

FAT DUCK

metalhead357
03-09-2006, 1:04 AM
Hey guys,I'm new to the forum and AR -15's. I have a few questions.
What is the deal with pistols grips. Does the Bushmaster carbon 15 have a pistol grip? Why do some say it's illegal? Does combining a pistol grip with a detachable mag cause trouble?
I see many pictures with magazines in the rifles. I was under the impression that one could not have a detachable mag. I hear many of you say they are pinned down.
So does that mean that it's only for looks?
How do you load them? Like the Bushmaster carbon 15 Ca Legal?
I'm just asking, Yes, I am ignorant when it comes to this rifle. I want to get a rifle and I am simply seeking knowledge.

Thanks,

FAT DUCK

First- Welcome to the forum.

Second: you'll hear it many times...READ THE FAQ...it in the upper right. But its simplly one OR the other. Detachable Mag= NOOOOOO Pistol Grip ((OR)) Pinned Mag (10 rounds) and then the pistol grip is ok. But you better know the "reasoning" behind it...hence the well written info in the FAQ.

AFTER reading the FAQ if you still have questions MANY here will be glad to help...but without the knowlege from the FAQ and what's what- you run the serious risk of landing yourself in jail and giving just that much "ammo" to the anti-gunners in this state.

NOT trying to sound harsh, I too know all toooooooo well about being told to read the FAQ. So I carried the torch, and now its your turn! See ya' in a month after you've become another resident guru telling the OTHER newbies to...yep.. you guessed it.... READ THE FAQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metalhead

Ps. Has anyone mentioned reading the FAQ to you yet:D

jdberger
03-09-2006, 1:07 AM
Metalhead, lighten up on the newbie.

Hey, newbie? You read the FAQ yet? :D

metalhead357
03-09-2006, 1:21 AM
Metalhead, lighten up on the newbie.

:eek: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,:rolleyes:

Trust me Fat Duck you'll soooooooooooooo understand what we're talking about is you read like a madman. If you notice I've only been here since JANUARY and my "esteemed" collegue in Jdberger has me beat by two months!

Now stop watching JD~ and I spout off and go read your FAQ young man or there will be NO AR madness for you:)

FWIW- I didn't even TRY to look, I joined, saw On a top thread a name off a sticky and IMMEDIATELY PM'd Artherd!!!!!!!!! Guess what he told me?????

Metalhead

grammaton76
03-09-2006, 7:46 AM

Maybe I'm up too late, but I'm having flashbacks to office space here.

(Lomberg) Yeaaaaahhhh... there was a memo a while back, about how FAQs need to be sent with cover sheets from now on... I'll just make sure you get another copy of that memo. (/Lomberg)

FAT DUCK
03-09-2006, 7:57 AM
The FAQ's.

Will do. Thanks Guys. :D

thmpr
03-09-2006, 8:09 AM
I would do the following in parallel:
a) Buy a lower (More than one!!!!! If your budget allows it)
b) Read and understand the FAQS (key words: Understand the FAQS)

:D

Jicko
03-09-2006, 8:59 AM
I would do the following in parallel:
a) Buy a lower (More than one!!!!! If your budget allows it)
b) Read and understand the FAQS (key words: Understand the FAQS)
:D

I think... it should more be "Read and understand" BEFORE you buy..... do not BUY if you don't understand and feel comfortable.... it will just get you in trouble....

FAT DUCK
03-09-2006, 9:35 AM
Why is that so many people change out or start with a off list lower reciever?
What's wrong with the bushmaster composite receiver. OTHER THAN THE SEALED MAG WELL.

catsupsam
03-09-2006, 9:39 AM
An off-list lower "may" become a listed lower.

thmpr
03-09-2006, 9:39 AM
I think... it should more be "Read and understand" BEFORE you buy..... do not BUY if you don't understand and feel comfortable.... it will just get you in trouble....

The only reason why I stated this is because the bulb may turn on after the fact..... :rolleyes:

But Jicko is right. If you do not fully understand the FAQs, suggest to not buy an offlsit lower and go for the sealed mag lower:confused: .

slick_711
03-09-2006, 10:20 AM
The thing with that is a bit uncertain. For one, the Bushmaster Carbon-15 is not quite as reliable of a gun as you could build up from a lower if you do it right. Some people also dislike the fact that the Carbon-15 is carbon, not a selling point in my opinion but I could deal with it. But from my experiences at work (Range/Shop) it's not the same quality as a full fledged AR, fixed mag or not. It's also a lot more expensive than you can build an AR up for if you use decent 'middle of the road' parts.

On to the 'uncertain' part: Since the offlist lowers aren't on the list, but may be added to the list in the near future, they would BECOME assault weapons, but we would all have them legally and we would be given a chance to register them. Now, none of us should be hoping for this, for the time being put a 10rd. fixed mag on your rifle, my boss has turned people away from our Range for having new ARs and not putting a fixed mag in it. But, if they do become assault weapaons, once they're on the list that's it. An assault weapon is an assault weapon, at that point you can remove the fixed magazine, and do whatever else you'd like to it (within some reason). For that reason I know I personally am using a fixed mag kit that will be easily removed. Which would also be nice if I go out of state camping/hunting, or just visiting my parents, I could easily detach the fixed mag with an allen wrench and have a 'real' AR. That Carbon-15 is a pain in the *** 10rd. fixed box no matter where you take it.

megavolt121
03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Why is that so many people change out or start with a off list lower reciever?
What's wrong with the bushmaster composite receiver. OTHER THAN THE SEALED MAG WELL.

Quack:
Most of us want the open well for one of two reasons:
1) We move out of state. Then we can have a normal AR
2) Our AR becomes listed and therefore is an AW. Once its an AW you take off the fixed mag and you have a normal AR.

That's the advantage of an offlist over a bushmaster composite recevier. Then there is the whole debate about carbon vs aluminum.

The other reasons could include people wanting to customize their AR the way they want it, not the way bushmaster has them configured. Or the price could be way more. etc.

metalhead357
03-09-2006, 4:31 PM
LOL!!!!! Y'all crack me up! Most here are new here too and we're ALL talking like we got this thing in the bag!!!!!! I just hope that we ain't confusing Fat Duck...... I just hope he likes....I mean REALLY likes reading and reading A LOT!!!!!!!!

Just wait till he reads it...then finds out about the DOJ "memo":rolleyes: Ohhhh, how allllllllllllllllllll the question s will begin anew!

Dont worry Fat Duck, you're in "good hands" here. DONT mind if some of the other seniors com along and post about using the SEARCH FEATURE:p I think "search" is probably the only other word with 10,0000000000 finds listed other than "AR"! Try a search, if it dont work, just ask...SOMEBODY will answer it...unlike the 24 hour suicide hotline around these parts:eek:

FWIW- you asked nice, identified yourself as a newbie and just seeking info, enthralled in a very iffy question on specifics we've all been bickering about for one reason or another (alum v carbon, what "is" a pistol grip etc.). AND you wernt one of the newbies that's all like YO! I wannts me a rattle gun to goes shoot tha' hoes! Where's I sign up! Ands these things dont leaves no fingers prints does they? Willing to PAY CASH:p like I HAVE litterally seen (NOT HERE Thank God) on other forums!!!!!

Just keep it all legal! And Nice AND civil ANd Friendly...and oh yea...related to the FAQ .... I swear that friggin' word is now like tatto'd in the back of my retina!!!!!!!!!!!!!