PDA

View Full Version : Man shot dead by Newark police had toy gun

Veritas_223
03-08-2006, 8:42 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/08/MNGICHKMMA5.DTL

(03-08) 1715 PST NEWARK -- The man fatally shot by Newark police on Tuesday afternoon was armed with a toy gun, though the officers who confronted him were too far away to make that distinction, Police Chief said Wednesday.

Officer Anthony Heckman fatally shot Victor Macias, 33, outside Newark Square shopping center on Thornton Avenue near Cedar Boulevard after Macias refused repeated orders in English and Spanish to drop the weapon, said Police Chief Ray Samuels. Heckman, who fired four shots from an AR-15 rifle, was crouched between 40 and 50 feet away from Macias when he fired, the chief said.

Heckman and Sgt. Steven Holbert had been summoned to the shopping center at 4:25 p.m. by reports of a man brandishing a gun and acting erratically. They found Macias standing in front of Chavez Meat Market, where he approached the officers, displaying a silver object that appeared to be handgun, the chief said.

Veritas_223
03-08-2006, 8:43 PM
When the man refused to drop the gun, Heckman fired four shots, Samuels said. The chief said videotape of the incident, taken by a surveillance camera at the meat market, confirms the officers' account of the incident. Employees of several businesses in the shopping center also told The Chronicle that they heard the officers repeatedly, and loudly, instruct Macias to drop the gun.

"I heard the police say "Drop the Gun! Drop the gun!" four or five times before he fired the rifle," said Phuong "Cindy" Nguyen, who operates the Innlay Bakery with her husband. "The police were yelling and then I heard nothing, for few seconds then saw him shoot."

Veritas_223
03-08-2006, 8:44 PM
Paramedics took the Macias to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. Macias has five prior arrests with Newark police, including at least three for public intoxication, Samuels said.

Police were investigating reports that the man may have accosted a passer-by in an attempted robbery a few minutes earlier and may have planned to rob a store in the shopping center, the chief said.

Both Heckman and Holbert are on paid administrative leave pending an investigation by police and the Alameda County District Attorney's Office. The incident is the first fatal shooting by police in Newark since 1995, when two men were killed separate incidents.

E-mail Jim Zamora at jzamora@sfchronicle.com.

blacklisted
03-08-2006, 9:01 PM
This happened about a mile from my house. I have heard that the guy was Schizophrenic.

I've also got some pics of the entire Newark police department taking down a Schizo around the corner from my house. A friend and I were driving to my old high school and this guy was standing in the middle of the road with no shirt yelling about destroying the planet and all kinds of crazy ****. He was blocking traffic and threatening people. We drove around him a few times playing loud music and he kept shouting so we left. When we got back about 30 minutes later, the police had him restrained on the ground and paramedics were there. It seems like there are tons of crazies around this city.

phish
03-08-2006, 9:06 PM
dang, I pass by there all the time during lunch and sometimes after work! :eek:

That place has its' share of shady characters. I've gotten gas there maybe 3 times and some pan handler is always asking for money to buy groceries or to get their car towed that's "just down the block", riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Newark PD may not have a sterling reputation, but it sounds like a good shoot to me.

blacklisted
03-08-2006, 9:07 PM
dang, I pass by there all the time during lunch and sometimes after work! :eek:

That place has its' share of shady characters. I've gotten gas there maybe 3 times and some pan handler is always asking for money to buy groceries or to get their car towed that's "just down the block", riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Newark PD may not have a sterling reputation, but it sounds like a good shoot to me.

Yeah, that whole area is one of the worst parts of the city. The worst part is Old Newark (Sycamore) hands down. :mad:

phish
03-08-2006, 9:12 PM
It seems like there are tons of crazies around this city.

which is why I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for a home, let alone a townhome in that area, no offense...:o

Sycamore, by King Egg Roll and the train tracks?

phish
03-08-2006, 9:21 PM
Sycamore, by King Egg Roll and the train tracks?

I must like to tempt fate, because I've eaten at La Mejor and bought Lotto tickets at the 711 around there on more than one occasion. :eek:

kantstudien
03-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh well, Darwin at work.

blacklisted
03-08-2006, 10:09 PM
I must like to tempt fate, because I've eaten at La Mejor and bought Lotto tickets at the 711 around there on more than one occasion. :eek:

That's the one.

jdberger
03-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Sounds like my one block walk from BART to my office in SF. Schizophrenics wandering around and screaming at traffic, panhandlers, dope fiends - and those are the regulars....it gets pretty sketchy when you start seeing people you don't recognize acting crazy.

blacklisted
03-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Sounds like my one block walk from BART to my office in SF. Schizophrenics wandering around and screaming at traffic, panhandlers, dope fiends - and those are the regulars....it gets pretty sketchy when you start seeing people you don't recognize acting crazy.

A friend of mine that goes to school in SF told me that when he was riding a shuttle to class, a guy came riding out of a store naked on a tricycle with police chasing after him!

Paramoose
03-09-2006, 6:26 AM
I have been a medic in this county for almost a decade and have had to take down many a crazy. Most of the time it is a pretty mellow situation, but other times it is down right SCARY! I have had these guys nearly break leather restraints and take as many as 5 or 6 people holding on for dear life to keep them undercontrol while I hit them with a narcotic sedative! I know about the situation in question and do not blame the police at all! Working in Oakland for the last 6 years has left me suprised that more of these guys have not been shot. This is one of those situations that the police really earn their pay.

phish
03-09-2006, 7:57 AM
I wonder if it's just coincidence, but airsoft guns were covered by the local news station on Monday.

billym
03-09-2006, 9:10 AM
Wow I used to service several accounts there a few years ago including Chavez Meat Market. I used to have over $10k in telephone cards in my trunk. No wonder I always had my Benchmade knife at the ready. I always thought that job would justify a CCW. Good thing I grew up around Metro NYC and I have good street sense and LUCK. Glad I dont have that crappy job anymore. Oh yea I used to have to work all over Oakland, Hayward and East SJ too. I should have been allowed to CCW.
B

ldivinag
03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Wow I used to service several accounts there a few years ago including Chavez Meat Market. I used to have over $10k in telephone cards in my trunk. No wonder I always had my Benchmade knife at the ready. I always thought that job would justify a CCW. Good thing I grew up around Metro NYC and I have good street sense and LUCK. Glad I dont have that crappy job anymore. Oh yea I used to have to work all over Oakland, Hayward and East SJ too. I should have been allowed to CCW.
B

you should have. assuming your boss/owner would have allowed you to CCW.

when i started reading about getting a CCW a few years ago, one of the reasons mostly given was "my job requires me to carry lots of money/valuables..."

Charliegone
03-09-2006, 3:24 PM
My dad said he witnessed the Sheriff take down a Schizo. Apparently the Schizo was playing around with a sword and was swing it around. When the Sheriff came boom! slug in the chest and dude died right there.