PDA

View Full Version : My 1A was declined by the DMV

beerup949
05-09-2010, 6:48 PM
I ordered custom plates from CA DMV over a month ago and I was denied via letter from the DMV.

LIC # Requested - CALGUN5

Per DMV denial - "They may refuse and combination of letters and numbers that may be considered offensive, which could also be misleading".

They also said - "I'm sure you can appriciate how difficult it is to balance an individuals constitutional right to free speech and expression, while protecting the sensibilities of all segments of our population".

WTF? I am lawsuit pissed.

vantec08
05-09-2010, 6:56 PM
WHAT sensibilities?? You arent asserting anything about something that isnt SPECIFICALLY enumerated in the Bill of Rights! Get the hell OVER IT!
Translation - - - - "we know that YOU know your constitutional rights, but we are more concerned with political correctness than reality because we have a gaggle of politicians that we have to shine on so we are denying your plates."
I am seeing @%)(&* over this crap.

2600fromAtari
05-09-2010, 6:57 PM
The U.S. is just way too PC these days, and CA more so. What is so offensive or misleading about CALGUNS, and why is it not sensible?

We have a threads where a teacher is talking about a revolution and overthrowing capitalist America, students sent home for wearing the American Flag to school, and now this.

I can't wait for June. I'm glad you're pissed. More people need to be pissed.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-09-2010, 6:59 PM
Try C4lguns.

$P-Ritch$
05-09-2010, 7:00 PM
If CALGUN5, a nonprofit organiztion, is offensive to others could we have all license plates that contain BRADY in them restricted. It offends me.

Robidouxs
I ordered custom plates from CA DMV over a month ago and I was denied via letter from the DMV.

Per DMV denial - "They may refuse and combination of letters and numbers that may be considered offensive, which could also be misleading".

They also said - "I'm sure you can appriciate how difficult it is to balance an individuals constitutional right to free speech and expression, while protecting the sensibilities of all segments of our population".

This seems unconscionable at many levels. How can CALGUN5 be deemed offensive? On its face I cannot locate any groups which are being harmed. I cannot find a compelling argument for the plate being viewed as libelous in nature.

bohoki
Try C4lguns.

no it was the word gun that was flaged

try CAL6UNS

smokeysbandit
05-09-2010, 7:04 PM
no it was the word gun that was flaged

try CAL6UNS

Stands to reason, California also finds the constitution offensive. Especially the 2A.

hill billy
05-09-2010, 7:05 PM
You have to think(or not think) like they do. Try Calgns. Tell them you own a company named calgones or something. Really. outsmarting the folks at the DMV shouldn't be that hard.

vantec08
05-09-2010, 7:08 PM
Am ok now. Really am. I thought I could never get cranked about CA stupidity again, but this definitely did it.

DB Cooper
05-09-2010, 7:10 PM
I find the DMV to be offensive.

Fjold
05-09-2010, 7:12 PM
You have to think(or not think) like they do. Try Calgns.

They'll probably think that you're some kind of fabric softner freak and give it to you then.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 7:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned you have the freedom to speak and DMV has the freedom to issue or not issue any plate they want to. That said, this is one instance where they definately SUCK!

beerup949
05-09-2010, 7:19 PM
So Im SOL then?

Window_Seat
05-09-2010, 7:25 PM
I find it offensive on the part of the DMV that they would deny you this constitutional right, but... (and I'm not saying it to be mean to you personally), they might be doing you a favor here, and it could turn out to be a blessing. Assume for a second that they give you the plates, and you install them, and you go about life, no problem. Then one day, you out outside, and your car is keyed, tires slashed, red paint that says "KILLER" on it. I realize I could be giving brady nuts who may troll the site ideas, but this is the reason I don't put anything on my vehicle that indicates I am pro-2A in any way. I put my NRA/GOA, etc. stickers on a book shelf along with other collectibles I have, and they stay there. There are way too many azzes out there on the other side, not to mention, bad LEOs (with ADR to the good ones) who have no problem with "proning us out", you could find yourself getting harassed much more often.

If anyone here is thinking about putting bumper stickers, and other "indications" on their vehicles that shows their commitment to a particular lifestyle, especially the Constitutional right to keep & bear arms, I would first check in here, and find out if it's really such a good idea considering the volatile nature of the "other side".

Having stated all that, I would (either way) give a call to the CGF, but that's just what I'd do either way.

Erik.

GearHead
05-09-2010, 7:33 PM
I find it offensive on the part of the DMV that they would deny you this constitutional right, but... (and I'm not saying it to be mean to you personally), they might be doing you a favor here, and it could turn out to be a blessing. Assume for a second that they give you the plates, and you install them, and you go about life, no problem. Then one day, you out outside, and your car is keyed, tires slashed, red paint that says "KILLER" on it. I realize I could be giving brady nuts who may troll the site ideas, but this is the reason I don't put anything on my vehicle that indicates I am pro-2A in any way. I put my NRA/GOA, etc. stickers on a book shelf along with other collectibles I have, and they stay there. There are way too many azzes out there on the other side, not to mention, bad LEOs (with ADR to the good ones) who have no problem with "proning us out", you could find yourself getting harassed much more often.

If anyone here is thinking about putting bumper stickers, and other "indications" on their vehicles that shows their commitment to a particular lifestyle, especially the Constitutional right to keep & bear arms, I would first check in here, and find out if it's really such a good idea considering the volatile nature of the "other side".

Having stated all that, I would (either way) give a call to the CGF, but that's just what I'd do either way.

Erik.

I'm the opposite, I have an NRA sticker and a Magpul logo on the back window of my truck, proudly displayed for all to see. The way I see it, if we are scared to express our freedom and likes, the antis have already won.

If my truck gets keyed, well, that sucks. I'll get over it. I have actually had another 2A supporter get in contact with me via my truck, and it turned out to be mutually beneficial.

jmcclesk
05-09-2010, 7:39 PM
I just went through this with DMV. I bought a used klr650 (mototcycle). My wife ordred a plate for the bike that said, klr4jon. DMV said klr is short for killer. I went through the complaint process. It is listed on the paperwork they sent you when they decline the plate. LONG story short i won and they sent me the plate. But by then i sold the bike. It took 8 or 9 months.

gonzo1510
05-09-2010, 7:41 PM
I've seen plates with "HK 45 acp" I think this should have been accepted..

GDM
05-09-2010, 8:04 PM
I was thinking of using a common milsurp round to be put on mine. ex note this is not the actual one I was going to use so no one can take mine hehe :) GRMN8MM

beerup949
05-09-2010, 8:15 PM
The funny part is that "Calguns" was already taken and I'm denied "Calgun5".

Socalz
Try DMVSUX :rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
I find it offensive on the part of the DMV that they would deny you this constitutional right,
Please explain to me how getting or not getting anything on a personal plate is a constitutional right.

The whole reason that Ca offers them is to get more tax dollars from you.

truthseeker
05-09-2010, 8:23 PM
Please explain to me how getting or not getting anything on a personal plate is a constitutional right.

The whole reason that Ca offers them is to get more tax dollars from you.

I believe he was trying to link the "1A Freedom of Speech" with being able to put whatever you want on your license plate.

hoffmang
05-09-2010, 8:27 PM
You should appeal. There is case law on point that DMV doesn't get to viewpoint discriminate.

-Gene

dantodd
05-09-2010, 8:28 PM
I just went through this with DMV. I bought a used klr650 (mototcycle). My wife ordred a plate for the bike that said, klr4jon. DMV said klr is short for killer. I went through the complaint process. It is listed on the paperwork they sent you when they decline the plate. LONG story short i won and they sent me the plate. But by then i sold the bike. It took 8 or 9 months.

That's just wrong. I had the plate "kllr wgn" on my Magnum for a few years. My wife became the main driver and didn't like the plates. I don't know why your plate would be offensive and mine not.

In my description of the plate I put down that it stood for "Killer Wagon" and not a single eye lash batted.

Just stupid.

Beatone
05-09-2010, 8:29 PM
I call it PC :icon_bs: I'll bet anything with the word "gun" in it will be rejected.

jamesob
05-09-2010, 8:29 PM
KALGUNZ

bwiese
05-09-2010, 8:32 PM
My next vehicle will have "12276PC" as the vanity license.

I want to be driving on an soon-to-be invalid statute.

dantodd
05-09-2010, 8:34 PM

"ByeRoos" ?

Socalz
05-09-2010, 8:39 PM
The funny part is that "Calguns" was already taken and I'm denied "Calgun5". Maybe CALGUNS wasn't taken, but instead was previously denied and listed as unavailable. When you submitted CALGUN5 was denied as well and sent to the banned list. Knowing CADMV, anything with "gun" in it will probably be denied.

DNA
05-09-2010, 8:50 PM
Why not something fun like....

19OF9mm

or

6OF357

Dan

Window_Seat
05-09-2010, 8:54 PM
I just figured out what mine is going to say.

I'm going to the DMV tomorrow.:D:D

Erik.

Glock-matic
05-09-2010, 9:00 PM
I guess they won't accept mine, "OBAMASUX"

Barkoff
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
DMVSUX

C.W.M.V.
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
As far as I'm concerned you have the freedom to speak and DMV has the freedom to issue or not issue any plate they want to. That said, this is one instance where they definately SUCK!

+1.

dantodd
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
There has to be a way to appeal the denial. I know a guy who had GAYBOY on his motorcycle plate back in the 80s. He told me he had to go through an appeal process to get it approved, surely there's still some process.

Colt-45
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
CALGUN5 was denied? I've seen "WEEDMAN" before.....

Saym14
05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
dont worry DMV will be running your bank and your health care soon. maybe your car dealership too.

santacruzstefan
05-10-2010, 12:33 AM
For anyone considering using numbers as letters i.e. CALGUN5 or C4LGUNS:
They won't let you do it. Something about the police getting confused. I wanted a zombie plate for a long time, but most were taken. Finally, I ordered ZOM3IES, but they said the 3 looked too much like a B (which was the idea...) Anyway, there is no reasoning with the DMV, but good luck in your quest. Now I want to try and come up with some clever plates... just make sure you tell them it means something benign in the little description box when you fill out the form online.

tuna quesadilla
05-10-2010, 1:04 AM
YES, you should be angry!

You should FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM!

They CLEARLY violated your constitutional right to a custom license plate.

I mean, it's enumerated RIGHT THERE IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS... "THE RIGHT TO CUSTOM LICENSE PLATES SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

.........Seriously? I understand you're pissed, but there are MUCH more important rights that are being trampled every day than the "right" to a custom license plate. Don't sweat the small stuff... :rolleyes: Besides, anything gun-associated on your car would probably make you a target for theft and/or burglary...

artherd
05-10-2010, 1:54 AM
Appeal it - citing "Calguns" as issued, and indicate that you are referring to "The Calguns Foundation, Inc" a Public Benefit educational foundation. :D

Arondos
05-10-2010, 2:16 AM
I was a nuclear trained electrician's mate in the navy when I was active duty I thought about NUC EM or NUKE EM but figured it would never be allowed

Havoc70
05-10-2010, 5:27 AM
When I applied for B52GUNR, I was initially denied, even though on the form I said "It's what I do in the Air Force". I appealed and got it. Now I'm waiting to hear back with what they say for R2KABA.

alex00
05-10-2010, 6:10 AM
It's funny what the DMV finds offensive and what they allow. I've seen a few plates that made me really wonder who fell asleep at the DMV approval desk. One in particular began with "2FN" and the rest describes what he is 'too %#&@-ing' to be. There was no mistaking exactly what the plate meant. I have always wanted to use the hand symbol on the kid plates to form some gun saying. I was always partial to 'cold dead hand' using their symbol. I always figured it would be denied. I'm sorry you can't get your plate.

Bobula
05-10-2010, 6:49 AM
They approved mine
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/bobulaondeck/IMG00241-20100427-1804.jpg

tuolumnejim
05-10-2010, 7:58 AM

It might be that the "Calguns" plate is in your area and they don't want to get them confused, just playing devils advocate.

beerup949
05-10-2010, 8:18 AM
You should appeal. There is case law on point that DMV doesn't get to viewpoint discriminate.

-Gene

Can you point this out to me please?

Havoc70
05-10-2010, 9:32 AM
It might be that the "Calguns" plate is in your area and they don't want to get them confused, just playing devils advocate.

They also say in their guidelines that using numbers as letters isn't approved, so just say it's "calgun 5" the fifth plate or something. If they think you're using the 5 as a letter, they may shoot it down again.

DTOM CA!
05-10-2010, 9:40 AM
How about submitting "F DA DMV"

12gauge12
05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
556AR15 is taken. Saw it on 880S last week

Skidmark
05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
"CALGUNS" is already taken. Other combinations with "GUNS" show as available, so it's not strictly the use of those four letters. More likely, the plates are held/used by someone, and just no longer available.

https://xml.dmv.ca.gov/IppWebV3/welcome.do

I remember years ago reading Herb Cain about a Urologist in San Francisco, Dr. Lee, who got the plates "2PCLEE"... :)

Glock22Fan
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Great Britain is far more restrictive with custom plates, you can only have them if they follow the "normal" issuing sequences. What they do is reserve anything that might be interesting and offer it at enhanced prices.

They are supposed to weed out unsuitable combinations, but one that slipped through was:

PEN 15

dilligaffrn
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Should have requested 206.125.47.50

LOL

Bill_in_SD
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I saw M*B8TR (* = the start symbol) her in SD.

Guy at my office has DBLTAPP

Good luck

thrillhouse700
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
How bout "Horsfkr" Not aimed at you of course just wondering if they would catch something so blatant yet shoot down calgun5.

beerup949
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
The funny thing is, is that I have had "Beerup" as a plate and then on the way to work I saw a guy with DUI on his plate. I can't have Calgun5...LoL

dirtnap
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I got shot down for HELLCAT for the same "reason"

Kestryll
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Maybe CALGUNS wasn't taken, but instead was previously denied and listed as unavailable. When you submitted CALGUN5 was denied as well and sent to the banned list. Knowing CADMV, anything with "gun" in it will probably be denied.

I'm wondering about this, I've been trying to get 'CALGUNS' for several years now. I'd be curious to find out if it was really taken or if they just did not approve of it.

I'd be curious to see the denial letter telling me the name of my business is offensive...

aermotor
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
C4LGU17S

CHS
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Weird. When I applied for "M1911 45", I put down very explicitly in the "reason" portion that it was a firearms term.

I got my plate :)

beerup949
05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Kestryll,

Should we wait until after the McDonald ruling to go after them?

Head Janitor & Beerup Vs. CA DMV?

H.M.
05-10-2010, 1:12 PM
Tell them you have a sexual fetish for guns.

They can't deny your sexual preferences since you were "born" that way.

leelaw
05-10-2010, 1:25 PM

I dunno.. I'd rather have 122761A as my plate, but have a strategically placed flake of dirt along the bottom between the "6" and "1"

:p

Falstaff
05-10-2010, 2:14 PM
Can't believe nobody had that yet. Ima try and get it, mebbe another censor won't find it controversial!

winnre
05-10-2010, 3:58 PM

You cannot use numbers to replace letters or vice versa on the order form.

beerup949
05-10-2010, 4:58 PM
You cannot use numbers to replace letters or vice versa on the order form.

How would they know?

Harrison_Bergeron
05-10-2010, 5:02 PM
It's already been posted twice, but here is the link:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2517

How do I know if the personalized configuration I want is available?

You can check personalized Plates online to find out if a specific personalized configuration has been taken. The department has the right to refuse any combination of letters and/or letters and numbers that may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency, or which would be misleading or in conflict with any license plate series now issued. Substituting numbers for letters or vice versa may be confused with an existing plate and is not permitted.

winnre
05-10-2010, 5:04 PM
My ex and I were JoDee Messina fans and had plates that read HEADSNC and TAILSCA.

Racefiend
05-10-2010, 5:27 PM
One of the guys on my car forum had GOT MILF on his license plate (Oregon IIRC). He put on the reason "got manual inline fluctuator" or some techinical BS like that. He rolled around for a few years with it until someone called the DMV complaining and they took it away.

Billy Jack
05-10-2010, 5:47 PM

Follow the appeal process and see what happens. If you fail on appeal you can file a real simple lawsuit in Superior Court. If not it has made for some amusing posts at the institutions. Many post but few act on their indignation.

Billy Jack

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

neal0124
05-10-2010, 7:08 PM
For anyone considering using numbers as letters i.e. CALGUN5 or C4LGUNS:
They won't let you do it. Something about the police getting confused. I wanted a zombie plate for a long time, but most were taken. Finally, I ordered ZOM3IES, but they said the 3 looked too much like a B (which was the idea...) Anyway, there is no reasoning with the DMV, but good luck in your quest. Now I want to try and come up with some clever plates... just make sure you tell them it means something benign in the little description box when you fill out the form online.

My friend has a mitsubishi evo. His plate is B8B8B8B, I swear.
I also have seen a L1L1L1L.

h.bowman
05-10-2010, 7:53 PM
I'll bet anything with the word "gun" in it will be rejected.

No.

Three months ago I received in the mail my new California plate. It has two three letter words on it with a space in the middle. "GUN" is the first word. If any of you have seen me around, please don't post my plate online. It gets enough attention on its own.

My guess is you got a sensitive agent on your application.

I am also torn on the issue of being discreet. But I echo the sentiments of a few above that if you refrain from expressing your interests, the antis won.

Beatone
05-10-2010, 8:17 PM
No.

Three months ago I received in the mail my new California plate. It has two three letter words on it with a space in the middle. "GUN" is the first word. If any of you have seen me around, please don't post my plate online. It gets enough attention on its own.

My guess is you got a sensitive agent on your application.

I am also torn on the issue of being discreet. But I echo the sentiments of a few above that if you refrain from expressing your interests, the antis won.

I'm hope no one complains and the DMV takes it away. I guess it takes only one person who doesn't like it. BS PC people are everywhere.

h.bowman
05-10-2010, 8:33 PM
I'm hope no one complains and the DMV takes it away. I guess it takes only one person who doesn't like it. BS PC people are everywhere.

If it happens it happens. Spilled milk.

I'll just find something a little more cryptic.

hoffmang
05-10-2010, 9:32 PM
Can you point this out to me please?

Eugene Volokh follows this as one of his pet memes: http://volokh.com/2010/04/22/maybe-racist-vanity-plates-and-the-first-amendment/

-Gene

CSACANNONEER
05-11-2010, 8:15 AM
I mean, it's enumerated RIGHT THERE IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS... "THE RIGHT TO CUSTOM LICENSE PLATES SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

Damn, I had to go back and reread the US Constitution. You're right. It's there plain as day in amendment # 223.

Bizcuits
05-11-2010, 9:09 AM

Erik.

Considering during the 2004 election there were pro-Kerry supporters going around slashing the tires of the republican voting bus's (the bus that picks up ANY voters and takes em to the polls) you aren't giving the left any idea's they haven't already acted upon.

However, being afraid to say out loud you support the 2nd Amend is letting them win... I have my NRA sticker on my Blazer. Not on my Mustang, because well it has a beautiful paint job and is my ego car... I'm not going to screw up a brand new paint job, by slapping a sticker on it...

Go with...

G3N0CD3

OlderThanDirt
05-11-2010, 9:22 AM
I'm wondering about this, I've been trying to get 'CALGUNS' for several years now. I'd be curious to find out if it was really taken or if they just did not approve of it.

I'd be curious to see the denial letter telling me the name of my business is offensive...

Once someone requests a certain licence plate and it is denied, the offending combination is blocked in the system. I had requested a personalized plate years ago related to my job that contained the word "nuke". It was denied and all requests containing "nuke" were blocked.

OlderThanDirt
05-11-2010, 9:33 AM
When I applied for B52GUNR, I was initially denied, even though on the form I said "It's what I do in the Air Force". I appealed and got it. Now I'm waiting to hear back with what they say for R2KABA.

I know the DMV has issued "RKBA" type plates in the past. It's hard to deny a plate if you explain that is it part of the US Constitution. People at the DMV are smart enough to avoid really bad publicity by deeming anything related to the US Constitution as offensive or inappropriate.

Fjold
05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I used to have "SHOOTR" when I lived in Idaho and moved back to Cali. It was already taken here so I couldn't get it.

TonyM
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM

There's no reason they should deny your last one, it should just come in.

Here's mine:

http://www.picturesbytony.com/plate.jpg

There's a funny story behind this one when I had to get it replaced as they messed up the original spacing... the DMV teller asked what it meant, so I said it has to do with the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Her reply: "What Constitution?". My wife was pretty floored when she heard the woman say that. I wasn't shocked at all.

N6ATF
05-11-2010, 1:23 PM
There's a funny story behind this one when I had to get it replaced as they messed up the original spacing... the DMV teller asked what it meant, so I said it has to do with the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Her reply: "What Constitution?". My wife was pretty floored when she heard the woman say that. I wasn't shocked at all.

You know, the Constitution, that thing that's printed on the toilet paper all government employees and officials use in CA?!

spsellars
05-11-2010, 1:48 PM

If you've been trying for years, it was either denied, or is on a smog exempt vehicle, as there's no smog history for it on the BAR test history site (http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx).

Paradiddle
05-11-2010, 1:51 PM
Greatest vanity plate ever

http://thm-a03.yimg.com/nimage/175e5605369b84ba

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/8b5dbd12983fbee6

Harrison_Bergeron
05-11-2010, 1:59 PM
...the DMV teller asked what it meant, so I said it has to do with the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Her reply: "What Constitution?". My wife was pretty floored when she heard the woman say that. I wasn't shocked at all.

Technically, there are two applicable Constitutions for most Americans, it took me a few months to figure out what you guys meant by RKBA, and I have no idea what the 2nd Amendment to the state Constitution is.

turbosbox
05-11-2010, 2:18 PM
Why not something fun like....

19OF9mm

or

6OF357

Dan

I like your avatar.

I saw one last week on a white chev suv that was like how did THAT get by the DMV "3Holer", hmm.

how about SNUGLAC ?
or XUSVMD
hint, right to left not left to right. LOL

N6ATF
05-11-2010, 3:05 PM
Technically, there are two applicable Constitutions for most Americans, it took me a few months to figure out what you guys meant by RKBA, and I have no idea what the 2nd Amendment to the state Constitution is.

Doesn't matter... CA.gov prints both applicable Constitutions on toilet paper.

TonyM
05-11-2010, 3:13 PM

Here you go. (http://tinyurl.com/2gx95b5) :)

Many, if not most people don't know that there's a State constitution. This woman fell in the "many/most" category. I kind of doubt she caught on after I explained it to her. Her last reply was "I don't know about all that, I'm originally from Arkansas, I just moved here 6 years ago..."

big red
05-11-2010, 4:00 PM
Write a letter to the director of DMV saying that you are sending the letter over to calguns legal counsel since the offensive nature of the plate was not fully explained and that maybe the orgnaization needs to know their name is offensive as well to DMV. I'll bet you get your plates very quickly.

xlimey
05-11-2010, 5:26 PM
Political correctness has reached a ridiculous level - particularly in this nutty state. I enjoy trying to work out what the meaning is of some of the more ingenious personal plates that I see on the road today. The DMV used to be a lot slower on the uptake regarding the double-meaning of some personal plates. About 25 years ago I worked with a gal who had a personal plate on her Triumph TR7 - it read: "UB6 IB9"

Took 'em a while to work that one out - but when they did, Boy were they pissed...

Fjold
05-11-2010, 6:48 PM
I was a nuclear trained electrician's mate in the navy when I was active duty I thought about NUC EM or NUKE EM but figured it would never be allowed

F*ingNuc was already taken?

Hunter
05-11-2010, 7:18 PM

That would be me, I asked for the CALGUNS plate a few years ago. It was not issued but denied and I still have the denial letter which states:

....we must refuse any license plate configuration which carries connotations offensive to good taste and decency, or which may be misleading to some of our citizens

The not so funny part is that it also stated they would be refunding my $90 fees in 60 days but that has yet to happen over 2 years later. Maybe that is why it is still locked out as they still have the funds tied to it somehow.

Hunter158
05-11-2010, 9:38 PM
A friends father bought "special" vanity plates for his wife's convertible some years back...

PHIL80

After she figured out what it meant, they sold the car... 3 years later. ;)
My friend now has that plate on his motorcycle.

Back in Colorado, I had JAPDUC on my Honda RC51. Even said it was for Japanese Ducati. That plate is taken here. I guess JAP isn't offensive.

dantodd
05-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Back in Colorado, I had JAPDUC on my Honda RC51. Even said it was for Japanese Ducati. That plate is taken here. I guess JAP isn't offensive.

Maybe it was offensive to Ducati owners?

Hunter158
05-12-2010, 7:25 AM
Maybe it was offensive to Ducati owners?

Guess I wasn't clear... I had this plate in Colorado. When I moved here, I tried to purchase it, but it was currently owned/in use.

As for being offensive to Ducati owners... Only in that Ducati LOST both the AMA and WSB series the last year the RC51 was raced... ;) :D Of course, Honda hasn't done anything to challenge either series since.

beerup949
05-12-2010, 9:25 AM
That would be me. Not issued but denied a couple years ago. I still have the denial letter and it states:

The not so funny part is that it also stated they would be refunding my $90 fees in 60 days but that has yet to happen. Maybe that is why it is still locked out as they still have the funds tied to it somehow.

Still waiting on my money as well. They took it out day one and now they have 60 days to return it. Go figure

leitung
05-12-2010, 3:06 PM
If CALGUN5, a nonprofit organiztion, is offensive to others could we have all license plates that contain BRADY in them restricted. It offends me.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hunter
05-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Still waiting on my money as well. They took it out day one and now they have 60 days to return it. Go figure

They took mine Dec 2007 and it has been long past 60 days and still nothing. To quote "we are looking into it..."

RideIcon
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM

:iagree: