PDA

View Full Version : Pro gun voters guide - Please share your inputs - see post #49

RDG
05-09-2010, 4:10 PM
I'm pretty much a single issue voter when my right to arms is involved and I'm having a lot of problems figuring out who to vote for in the upcoming primary. I'm registered Republican and I live in Placer County. Can anyone point me toward a voter guide or info I can use to help me find someone to support? I have come to the place where I have decided I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils. No lectures please, that decision is firm.
Bob

Sniper3142
05-09-2010, 8:12 PM
Bump because I'd also like to see this and think it would be useful.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-09-2010, 9:04 PM
well nra gave poizner an A. whitman was ceo of ebay, if you want your account locked try to sell a gun part on there. however, bill is telling everyone poizner told the nra rep to f off... but he has an A makes no sense...

gn3hz3ku1*
05-09-2010, 9:05 PM
i love my guns and i'm voting poizner

rp55
05-09-2010, 9:08 PM
however, bill is telling everyone poizner told the nra rep to f off... but he has an A makes no sense...

Is the NRA getting back to it's old tricks? Remember when, if they had a D and a F candidate, they'd rate the D an A because we were "too stupid" to know the difference between D and F?

gn3hz3ku1*
05-09-2010, 9:10 PM
i have no idea. i gathered this info from calguns. also sometimes there are bigger issue than just guns

bwiese
05-09-2010, 9:11 PM
also sometimes there are bigger issue than just guns

No there aren't.

All rights derive from the BoR and those are backed by the 2nd.

You can always find/get a new job, new cookies, etc.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-09-2010, 9:15 PM
yes there are. i'm tired of illegals taking my tax money away.. money i can use for guns =) poizner is not anti gun. i didn't hear your guy brown making a public statement saying the ammo ban is wrong.

bwiese
05-09-2010, 9:54 PM
yes there are. i'm tired of illegals taking my tax money away.. money i can use for guns =) poizner is not anti gun. i didn't hear your guy brown making a public statement saying the ammo ban is wrong.

He did something more useful, he told legislators it had severe problems.
That that didn't work shouldn't be held against him.

I don't need the AG telling me something is bad, I can figure that for myself and assume you can too. I'd much rather have the AG not support something or list flaws to people that may back off.

Ironmany2k
05-10-2010, 4:22 PM
Vote for Chuck DeVore:

Chuck DeVore for senate. Pro-gun, anti illegal, conservative.

Vinnie
05-10-2010, 4:26 PM
+1 for Chuck DeVore

gn3hz3ku1*
05-10-2010, 4:36 PM
+2 for chuck

singleshotman
05-10-2010, 5:46 PM
Vote for Prop 14, this would allow to vote for pro=gun demo's. There are a few, not all are left wing nuts.i wish i could vote for Brown, but that will have to wait until Prop.14 passes, if possable.

GMG
05-10-2010, 6:46 PM
+3 for Chuck!

FirstFlight
05-11-2010, 2:41 PM
[QUOTE=RDG;4261399]I'm pretty much a single issue voter when my right to arms is involved and I'm having a lot of problems figuring out who to vote for in the upcoming primary. I'm registered Republican and I live in Placer County. Can anyone point me toward a voter guide or info I can use to help me find someone to support? I have come to the place where I have decided I will no longer vote for the lesser of two evils. No lectures please, that decision is firm.
QUOTE]

Put this website in your Favorites: www.nrapvf.org when it comes up click on Grades and Endorsements. This will give you what the NRA grades the candidates from the state selected. Note: The Cali candidates are not listed yet as our Primary doesn't come up until June 8. So maybe in a week or so.

Also note: Poizner was graded "A" in 2006 when he was running for Insurance Commissioner. His new grade hasn't been posted yet. That grade might be a bit different.

FirstFlight
05-11-2010, 2:52 PM
OK.....how in ell did I screw up that quote? That quote should have been given credit to RDG. Sorry about that!
FirstFlight

Flopper
05-11-2010, 4:01 PM
None of the Republican gubernatorial candidates are pro-gun, and the "right people" at Calguns keep saying Brown is our ace in the hole.

Calguns has done nothing but produce so far, so I will for the first time be voting for a D.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-11-2010, 4:42 PM
None of the Republican gubernatorial candidates are pro-gun, and the "right people" at Calguns keep saying Brown is our ace in the hole.

Calguns has done nothing but produce so far, so I will for the first time be voting for a D.

ahah true flopper...

Brd_Hntr
05-11-2010, 6:30 PM
I have not voted for a democrat in thirty years, but if I were convinced a democrat was the more pro gun candidate that trend would be broken. This 'single issue' is that important.

Regulus
05-11-2010, 6:52 PM
+4 for Chuck! (Just keeping it going) and I hope he b-slaps the booger snot out of Boxer.

Then as he is getting sworn in, I'd like to hear him say, "Take THAT ma'am!"

FirstFlight
05-12-2010, 4:40 AM
+4 for Chuck! (Just keeping it going) and I hope he b-slaps the booger snot out of Boxer.

Then as he is getting sworn in, I'd like to hear him say, "Take THAT ma'am!"

Amen!

RDG
05-12-2010, 3:17 PM
Thanks for that link FirstFlight! I've got it bookmarked and look forward to using it. I'll also be sending it to my buddies.
Bob

lioneaglegriffin
05-12-2010, 4:44 PM
can CGF do endorsements or does that require another political arm?

spgripside
05-12-2010, 5:14 PM
can CGF do endorsements or does that require another political arm?

From calgunsfoundation.org
We can't make statements in any campaign for a public office. The Calguns Foundation will support the activities and expenses of Calguns.net but we do not own the forum or the domain name. Please also note that what members of the board of Calguns Foundation post on Calguns.net is not necessarily the opinion of the Calguns Foundation – unless it is marked clearly otherwise.

Sean

lioneaglegriffin
05-12-2010, 6:53 PM
From calgunsfoundation.org

Sean

i see thank you good sir.

Clinton
05-12-2010, 7:22 PM
As important as 2A rights are to me, I just can't be a one issue voter. Thats one of the reasons we have so many problems in this state/country right now. Gays vote for the pro-gay canidate, welfare recipiants vote for the pro-social programs canidate, forginers vote for the pro-immigration canidate, ect.....and hell be damned what ever else they stand for.
There's just way too many issues to be considered. So what if a canidate is pro 2A but is also anti-everything else you stand for?

Paladin
05-12-2010, 7:57 PM
Vote for Prop 14, this would allow to vote for pro=gun demo's. There are a few, not all are left wing nuts.i wish i could vote for Brown, but that will have to wait until Prop.14 passes, if possable.I'm against Prop 14 because w/the significant advantage Dems hold in this state, a lot of them will cross over in the primary to vote for an unelectable Repub and then vote for the Dem in the general election.

Let the parties choose from within their own ranks who they want to represent them in the general election.

Also, I don't like making two major changes at once. When that happens, it is very difficult to sort out which change is responsible for the good/bad outcome and thus know whether to change back again. Redistricting reform was passed and will be taking effect in, IIRC, 2012, after this year's census. That is a MAJOR change that should help this state. Let's see how that works out for an election or two before even considering the MAJOR change that Prop 14 would entail.

Paladin
05-12-2010, 7:58 PM
OK.....how in ell did I screw up that quote? That quote should have been given credit to RDG. Sorry about that!
FirstFlight
You forgot/cut off the "[/" that is required at the end of a quote ("[/QUOTE]").

Cokebottle
05-12-2010, 8:12 PM
He did something more useful, he told legislators it had severe problems.
That that didn't work shouldn't be held against him.

I don't need the AG telling me something is bad, I can figure that for myself and assume you can too. I'd much rather have the AG not support something or list flaws to people that may back off.
Please remember that the AG is the head attorney in the state.
One of the DAs under him was the one that charged Ben.
One of the DAs under him was the one that got the conviction of Theseus.

Honestly, and I've said this before... I don't like any of the candidates.
If 2A were the only issue, I'd give Brown a pass, but I grew up in the 70s seeing what he did to this state... we still haven't recovered, we've simply had a string of "leaders" papering over what he left us with, praying that a rising economy will bail them out.

Don't forget that he also appointed Rose Bird.

Cokebottle
05-12-2010, 8:15 PM
Vote for Prop 14, this would allow to vote for pro=gun demo's. There are a few, not all are left wing nuts.i wish i could vote for Brown, but that will have to wait until Prop.14 passes, if possable.
Why would prop 14 make a difference on your vote for Brown?
Prop 14 is on the same ballot as the primary.

Brown WILL be the nominee for the Democrat party for Governor in November.
He will be running against either Meg or Steve.

You will be able to vote for him in November without Prop-14.

Primaries are party business. People outside of the party should have no say in the party nominees.

lioneaglegriffin
05-13-2010, 3:46 PM
Why would prop 14 make a difference on your vote for Brown?
Prop 14 is on the same ballot as the primary.

Brown WILL be the nominee for the Democrat party for Governor in November.
He will be running against either Meg or Steve.

You will be able to vote for him in November without Prop-14.

Primaries are party business. People outside of the party should have no say in the party nominees.

the argument is that primaries force candidates to right or left. then they have to run back to the center to win the general. with this system they can stay in the middle the whole time. (theoretically) and even have two republicans or democrats run against each other in the general. instead of getting token resistance from they other party because the district leans heavily one way.

FirstFlight
05-13-2010, 4:01 PM

Hey Flopper.....Before you go that far (voting D), wait until the NRA comes out with their grade/endorsement. Being an old NRA guy I pay attention to what the NRA recommends.

GuyW
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
All rights derive from the BoR and those are backed by the 2nd.

Heller and other cases say that the RKBA and a couple of other Constitutional rights predate the Constitution, and are not dependent upon it.....

GuyW
05-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Please remember that the AG is the head attorney in the state.
One of the DAs under him was the one that charged Ben.
One of the DAs under him was the one that got the conviction of Theseus.

DAs are locally elected, they don't answer to the AG.

Uriah02
05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Poizner's website claims he's huge on 2nd Amendment with a nice tid bit that he wants to repeal AB962 (Ammo restrictions). He seems fine for a single issue candidate if that is the case. Conversely Whitman's website claims she is satisfied with current gun laws and doesn't want more...

Veggie
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
There is nothing more important then the defense of our rights. If we let them roll over us and do away with even one. They know have the power to do away with them all.

Cokebottle
05-14-2010, 4:04 PM
DAs are locally elected, they don't answer to the AG.
I'm sure if one is out of line with the AG's opinions, he will receive some gentle prodding.
They're locally elected and answer to their constituents, but it's still a political office and "greasing the wheel" to move up the ladder in appointed positions is a big part of the job.

Why fight to be elected to a piddly DA position when the future Gov Brown can appoint you to a position that doesn't answer to anyone but the Governor?

Ironmany2k
05-16-2010, 6:52 PM
Pro Gun Candidates:
Gov: Poizner
Lt Gov: Levitt
Senate: Chuck DeVore

GuyW
05-16-2010, 6:59 PM
I'm waiting for evidence that Poizner is any more progun than Whitman...

Pro Gun Candidates:

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 7:02 PM
I'm waiting for evidence that Poizner is any more progun than Whitman...
Poizner is at worst, neutral/moderately negative.

Meg is an anti.

Ironmany2k
05-17-2010, 4:07 PM
Poizner is at worst, neutral/moderately negative.

Meg is an anti.

We have to get someone in their beside Whitman. Poizner is not the best by a long shot, but OMG Whitman?

The candidate for senate is clear. Chuck DeVore is the only true conservative with a clear, consistent pro-gun, pro 2A voting record.

perrytr6
05-22-2010, 6:05 PM
Here is what is on Poizner's website....www.stevepoizner.com.

"Second Amendment Rights: Steve Poizner Supports An Individual’s Second Amendment Right To Keep And Bear Arms. Steve is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and opposes any attempts to chip away at the right that every Californian has to keep and bear arms. Steve believes that the Founders of the Constitution were crystal clear when establishing that people have the right to own guns for both recreational and defensive purposes. Steve opposes any new gun laws and will closely examine existing gun laws. He also opposes California’s recently passed ammunition registration law (AB 962), and will seek its repeal as governor.

Steve has also issued a statement regarding the pivotal gun rights case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, saying a proper decision in McDonald would clarify and strengthen the Second Amendment’s application to the states. Such a decision would be a victory for liberty and a powerful reaffirmation of the United States Constitution."

OleCuss
05-22-2010, 6:19 PM
OK, I have some hope for Poizner and greatly prefer him over Whitman, but I'd point out that those statements don't mean a whole heck of a lot.

It does mean that he opposes AB962 and that he probably won't sign off on more anti-gun legislation. The statement on McDonald is kinda hopeful but doesn't really tell us what Poizner himself would do.

Fot
05-22-2010, 6:21 PM
Didn't Poizner tell the NRA to eff off not to long ago?

Cokebottle
05-22-2010, 6:29 PM
OK, I have some hope for Poizner and greatly prefer him over Whitman, but I'd point out that those statements don't mean a whole heck of a lot.

It does mean that he opposes AB962 and that he probably won't sign off on more anti-gun legislation. The statement on McDonald is kinda hopeful but doesn't really tell us what Poizner himself would do.
The problem with Poizner is he's flip-flopped on more issues than John Kerry.

I would definitely prefer to see him win the primary, but I don't like any of the 3.

USAFTS
05-22-2010, 6:42 PM
FirstFlight

You posted "...decision is firm. QUOTE]"...which should have been, "...decision is firm. [/QUOTE]"

;)

USAFTS
05-22-2010, 7:00 PM

Exactly right. Politicians...Especially those that are in the middle of election campaigns will say and do anything for your vote. obama actually won the election and swore an oath (Twice) to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. If the President can completely break his oath of office without consequences, why in God's name should I expect that a mere Gubernatorial candidate is telling any truth at all?

I really wish I could tell the difference between any of these self-serving fakes. I just need to go with my gut... and my gut tells me that Meg gave us a look at the truth when it became part of her business practice. No guns or gun parts on eBay speaks to either her personal beliefs or her willingness to cave to PC political pressure...(or Both).

I am not yet 100% as there is still time for more education but I am leaning to Poizner.

Biff...
05-22-2010, 7:02 PM
Chuck gets my vote for senate.

Turbinator
05-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Guys, let's get this voting guide finalized. I have my ballot here and want to make sure I'm going in the right direction for a one-issue voter. I am using this site as a reference for some candidate information and statements: http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/

NOTE - My ballot is a NONPARTISAN REPUBLICAN ballot.

GOVERNOR
Steve Poizner

LT. GOV
Scott Levitt

SECRETARY OF STATE
Damon Dunn (NOTE - he is a Republican)
Orly Taitz? (o rly? hah hah - nutcase per this thread feedback)

CONTROLLER
David Evans
Tony Strickland (Uh oh - Tony currently serves as Co-Chair to Meg Whitman for Governor Campaign - automatic NO? See his website - http://www.tonystrickland.com/meettonystrickland/?_c=yvqj0png1wt4jv)

TREASURER
Mimi Walters (no other choices)

ATTORNEY GENERAL
Steve Cooley - no 2nd Amendment position stated on his site - http://www.stevecooley.com/blog/about/
Tom Harman - no 2nd Amendment position on his site, but he is a military man and an "avid outdoorsman" - http://www.harman4ag.com/tom-harman-issues.html
John Eastman - go check out his site - http://www.eastmanforag.com/issues/crime - he appears to be pro-gun.

INSURANCE COMMISSIONER
Mike Villines - Republican candidate from Fresno - http://mikevillines.com/
Brian Fitzgerald - Republican candidate from SF, currently living in Napa - http://www.fitzonthejob.com/

STATE BOARD OF EQUALIZATION DISTRICT 1 (not sure which candidate is "better")
Rae Williams - Republican - unknown experience
Kevin Scott - Republican - http://www.kevinscott2010.org

US SENATOR
Chuck Devore

MEMBER OF THE STATE ASSEMBLY, DISTRICT 28
Robert Bernosky - http://www.28thdistrict.com/aboutrob.html
Allen Barker - http://www.vote4allen.com/

JUDGE OF THE SUPERIOR COURT - SANTA CLARA
Thomas Spielbauer - http://judgepedia.org/index.php/Thomas_Spielbauer and also http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/06/08/ca/scl/vote/spielbauer_t/statement.html
Joanne McCracken - http://mccrackenforjudge.weebly.com/

Tim Pitsker?
Vanessa Zecher?

Julia Alloggiamento?
Bob Camors?

JUDGE OF THE SUPERIOR COURT - SAN BERNARDINO
Vic Stull - Supervising deputy DA for over 20 years, http://www.vicstull4judge.com - Ascribes to original intent in the Constitution, hunts, occassional poster on CalGuns

SCHOOL
Faarax Dahir Sheikh-Noor?
Henry Williams?
Diane Lenning?
Larry Aceves?
Gloria Romero?
Lydia Gutierrez?
Alexia Deligianni?
Leonard Martin?
Grand McMicken?
Karen Blake?
Daniel Nusbaum?
Tom Torlakson?

SANTA CLARA COUNTY DA
Jeff Rosen?
Dolores Carr?

SANTA CLARA COUNTY SHERIFF
Martin Monica (has my vote so far)

CITY OF SJ MAYOR
Susan Barragan - read carefully, she appears to be a young woman running for mayor - my opinion, I don't know how much political or business background she has, appears to be NONE - http://www.susanbarraganformayor2010.com/
Thomas Nguyen - information technologist, that's all I can discern
Chuck Reed - current incumbent - http://www.mayorreed2010.com/
Bill Chew - odd, he's a fitness expert, and works on local TV programming - http://www.fitcity.com/campaign.htm

PROP 13 - Limits on property tax assessment, seismic retrofitting of buildings
Y / N?

PROP 14 - Elections, increases right to participate in primary elections
Y/ N?

PROP 15 - CA Fair Elections Act
Y / N?

PROP 16 - 2/3 voter approval requirement for local public electricity providers
Y/ N?

PROP 17 - Allows auto insurance companies to base their prices on part on a driver's history of insurance coverage
Y / N?

MEASURE K - Cardroom measure, increase taxes on gross revenues, increase # of cardroom tables, other stuff
Y / N?

Let's hear your opinions...! I'll be doing some more research and will update my list as I pare it down to the best Pro-2nd Amendment choices.

Turby

Saym14
05-23-2010, 1:32 PM
Fiorina is also rated A by the NRA. an I think she will have a better chance of beating Boxer.

GuyW
05-23-2010, 2:26 PM
I saw information that claimed that Poizner is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, if you think that's an important factor in whether or not he's "conservative".

Mistwritr
05-23-2010, 3:03 PM
Poizner has my vote! Stated in debate he supports 2nd amendment!

GrizzlyGuy
05-23-2010, 3:17 PM
Let's hear your opinions...! I'll be doing some more research and will update my list as I pare it down to the best Pro-2nd Amendment choices.

Yes on 16, as it adds another constraint on government power. Government power is responsible for our idiotic gun laws.

I did a series of articles on Prop 16 on my blog, and the leader of the opposition to Prop 16 (John Geesman) stopped by for some friendly debate. My argument and his are included in this series:

California Proposition 16 - Who Controls the Power? (http://bit.ly/9u3IXH)

Who Controls the Power? – John Geesman of GreenEnergyWar.com Responds (http://bit.ly/aR0bta)

California Proposition 16 – Opponents Falsely Claim "A Constitutional Iron Curtain" (http://bit.ly/9NCS6p)

California Proposition 16 – SF Ignores the Will of the People, Rushes Ahead with Municipal Power (http://bit.ly/cPVFiQ)

ScottB
05-23-2010, 3:22 PM
Poizner has my vote! Stated in debate he supports 2nd amendment!

So did Obama.

So did Whitman. They all say it - at least in the Republican primary. The position won't be so trendy in California in the general election. The question is who walks the talk?

Past history is a good indicator of future performance. If their past record is sparse or contradictory, how do we know their staements about future behavior are worth anything?

Turbinator
05-23-2010, 5:46 PM
Thanks guys, keep the inputs coming!

Turby

Meplat
05-23-2010, 5:47 PM
If it's Poisner V Brown I'll vote Poisner but we cant lose either way. If it's whitman V Brown I'll vote Brown in a heartbeat.

Meplat
05-23-2010, 6:23 PM

+1oo

Turbinator
05-25-2010, 7:26 AM
Back to the top for visibility.

Turby

dilligaffrn
05-25-2010, 9:58 AM
Gotta TAG this one so it don't get lost.

Jason_2111
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Tagging for tracking...

+1 on Martin Monica for Santa Clara County Sheriff! :)

Meplat
05-25-2010, 1:27 PM
:party:Fox news just reported that Poisner has pulled ahead of Whitman in the polls.

Mikeb
05-25-2010, 1:30 PM
So who do you guys like for AG?
Mike

Syntax Error
05-25-2010, 2:23 PM

Which is exactly what Proposition 14 will attempt to address. Allow for one primary ballot for everyone, non-partisan. Vote for the candidate that you want to show up in the general election, and vote for them when the time comes.

Party-line thinking only encourages radicalism and non-compromise, especially in this broken state.

Another reason why I'm totally for Prop 14 is because every politician, major political party (R or D), interest group, and union is against it, which must mean it's good for the people to allow for more open election procedures.

Window_Seat
05-25-2010, 3:03 PM
Poizner is better than Whitman, but it's still unclear whether he supports CCW SI or not, and that is the largest issue on the biggest front burner:

Second Amendment Rights: Steve Poizner Supports An Individual’s Second Amendment Right To Keep And Bear Arms. Steve is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and opposes any attempts to chip away at the right that every Californian has to keep and bear arms. Steve believes that the Founders of the Constitution were crystal clear when establishing that people have the right to own guns for both recreational and defensive purposes. Steve opposes any new gun laws and will closely examine existing gun laws. He also opposes California’s recently passed ammunition registration law (AB 962), and will seek its repeal as governor.

Steve has also issued a statement regarding the pivotal gun rights case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, saying a proper decision in McDonald would clarify and strengthen the Second Amendment’s application to the states. Such a decision would be a victory for liberty and a powerful reaffirmation of the United States Constitution.

The word "support" is more (to me) of a code word for "supporting" gun control, and promising not to support more gun control as Whitman has admitted. Poizner has said he "opposes any new gun laws and will closely examine existing gun laws." What are "gun laws" to him? Gun laws to him could be anything furthering rights, and not just necessarily restricting rights, so his explanation is too ambiguous. I just got off the phone with his office, and they actually confirmed to me this:

He will oppose any (ANY) new gun laws.

I asked if he will support "PRO Gun Rights" legislation, and she said she didn't know. I asked for them to clarify this, and I sent him this email:

Dear Mr. Poizner

I am aware that you support the 2nd Amendment, and will oppose any new "gun laws". Does this mean you will oppose even "Pro gun rights" legislation?

Examples of pro-gun rights legislation are measures that make it mandatory for a Sheriff or Chief Law Enforcement Officer in California to issue concealed firearm(s) licenses to individuals if they are qualified law-abiding & responsible citizens of the State of California (Shall Issue Carry Concealed Weapon License or CCW). One such measure was AB-357 introduced by Assemblymember Steve Knight.

Other examples of pro gun rights legislation are repealing regulations restricting the type of handguns one can purchase, and allowing law-abiding & responsible citizens to purchase & receive handguns & long guns the same day rather than waiting 10 days.

I am aware that you will work to repeal AB-962 as well, but that is just one of far too many unnecessary & failed gun control policies that need to be reversed.

The Calguns Foundation, The NRA, the California Rifle & Pistol Association, The Gun Owners of America, The Second Amendment Foundation, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, The Pink Pistols of San Francisco, and many other fine gun rights organizations have a tremendously combined, lightning fast growing membership base & constituency which could ultimately define the outcome of the November Election.

We know where Ms. Whitman stands on this issue, but we are currently not clear where you stand on these issues, which are extremely important in California right now, so please clarify your position on the above points as soon as possible so we can all agree to make a determination on who ultimately goes to Sacramento.

Sincerely,

Erik.

F12517
05-25-2010, 3:34 PM
PROP 16 - 2/3 voter approval requirement for local public electricity providers
Yes per GrizzlyGuy at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4334535&postcount=53

Turby

You DO realize that prop 16 is being bought and paid for by PG&E?!?!?!
As a PG&E rate payer, I see nothing good coming of this. Last night they were all over the news asking for ANOTHER rate increase and have many more planned for the next several years. I wish we had SMUD in Placer County. http://www.morganhilltimes.com/opinion/264712-something-fishy-behind-prop.-16

F12517
05-25-2010, 3:39 PM
Yes on 16, as it adds another constraint on government power. Government power is responsible for our idiotic gun laws.

I did a series of articles on Prop 16 on my blog, and the leader of the opposition to Prop 16 (John Geesman) stopped by for some friendly debate. My argument and his are included in this series:

California Proposition 16 - Who Controls the Power? (http://bit.ly/9u3IXH)

Who Controls the Power? – John Geesman of GreenEnergyWar.com Responds (http://bit.ly/aR0bta)

California Proposition 16 – Opponents Falsely Claim "A Constitutional Iron Curtain" (http://bit.ly/9NCS6p)

California Proposition 16 – SF Ignores the Will of the People, Rushes Ahead with Municipal Power (http://bit.ly/cPVFiQ)

Your links are not working (at least for me). And I'll ask you to go back and follow the money. Prop 16 is being bought and paid for solely by PG&E. Normally, I am very much in favor of limiting government power, but not in this case, not at the expense of PROTECTING PG&E! Ask yourself, why does PG&E want this? What's in it for them? Why are SMUD rates so much lower than PG&E?

Super Spy
05-25-2010, 3:44 PM
Prop 16 makes it darn near impossible for a small business to sell electricity locally and only helps PG&E maintain their monopoly. If you support an OPEN market vote no on 16.

Be careful on propositions as only big money can even get these on the ballot. I tend to vote NO if I have any doubt. Most of these propositions won't help the little guy at all.

GrizzlyGuy
05-25-2010, 3:51 PM
As a PG&E rate payer, I see nothing good coming of this. Last night they were all over the news asking for ANOTHER rate increase and have many more planned for the next several years. I wish we had SMUD in Placer County. http://www.morganhilltimes.com/opinion/264712-something-fishy-behind-prop.-16

Yes, I knew that. Did you know that by law, it is the government that sets your rates and not PG&E? Click here (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=35457), I walk the reader through why that is, starting with the CA Constitution and working down through the relevant section of the CA public utilities code.

If you don't like rate increases, then why would you want SMUD? Their rates are increasing as well (http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/6636/SMUD_staff_to_explain_rate_hikes_at_May_meetings):

...Tracy said Thursday that SMUD is raising its rates for several reasons, some of which are falling revenues, hikes in healthcare expenses, and increasing prices for renewable energy....

huck
05-25-2010, 3:55 PM
I voted NO on 16 - just because I read PG&E has spent over $28 million on the YES campaign. It can't be a good thing.

There are no 2A implications, however.

Syntax Error
05-25-2010, 4:46 PM
Anyone in Santa Barbara have a good write-in candidate for the sheriff's position? The incumbent Bill Brown is anti-CCW, and if possible, I'd like my write-in to count for something rather than putting in "Ash Ketchum".

Meplat
05-25-2010, 5:03 PM
[QUOTE=Window_Seat;4345330]Poizner is better than Whitman, but it's still unclear whether he supports CCW SI or not, and that is the largest issue on the biggest front burner:

No candidate has indorsed CCW SI and will not. Poizner & Brown are the best bets. Brown being an eco-freak who will not even blink at destroying our economy in the name of global warming, I prefer Poizner.

We (when I say we I mean me and my crew) were prevented from controlling a distractive pest two years ago by the tree huggers. It cost California's economy $20,000,000 dollars. People at the bottom of the food chain starved because of it. That is the problem with Brown, but I'll still vote Brown over Whitman. The bill of rights can not be compromised.

berto
05-25-2010, 6:16 PM
I'm voting NO on 16 because they won't reveal how they got my email address. I have a few ideas but i never it gave it to them.

Meplat
05-25-2010, 6:36 PM
I don't trust PG&E, I don't trust the government. No! is a defensive vote.

cbn620
05-25-2010, 8:38 PM
13 - yes
14 - no
15 - no
16 - no
17 - no

Jerry Brown for governor.

I'm an independent voter so I'm gonna request a Dem ballot to vote for JB. I'm still floating my thoughts on other candidates, but the thing is I don't care for many of the Democrats running. It's basically, what, about 2 weeks until the election so I'm going to do crunch time on my decisions and vote for the best possible Democrats in the primaries. When the general election rolls around, that's when I'm gonna have to get especially serious about candidates.

In the mean time, for any other Jerry Brown primary voters who are poking through this Dem ballot, if you have any suggestions on who the best of these candidates are for gun rights (I know) please speak up.

Turbinator
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM

No - I didn't know that. So you say NO on PROP 16 then?

Turby

GrizzlyGuy
05-26-2010, 9:17 AM
No - I didn't know that. So you say NO on PROP 16 then?

If you have 10 minutes to spare, read my articles that I linked to above (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4334535&postcount=53). I've ran into a lot of people who seem to make up their minds as soon as they find out that PG&E is backing prop 16 and PG&E will benefit if it passes. It's a visceral reaction, and they don't go on to consider (objectively) whether they or their friends/town/state/country will benefit as well.

In those articles, I'm debating the leader of the opposition to prop 16 (he's kind of California's Al Gore and spent his whole career in the area of energy policy, here is his resume (http://greenenergywar.com/about-john-geesman/)). He links to his stuff, and I left all of his comments and links intact.

Fair and balanced: we report, you decide. :D

P.S. - If you don't have 10 minutes and only have 15 seconds, here is my conclusion in the first article:

The real choice I see is the following: we can choose to add an additional constraint on government power by passing Proposition 16, or we can choose to leave that aspect of government power unconstrained. As a libertarian, I choose to constrain the power of the insatiable leviathan known as government at every opportunity. I'll be voting YES on Proposition 16.

EricFi1
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I think that between poizner/whitman/brown, they're all going to pretty much stay neutral with 2A because they know 50% of CA is democrat, 20% liberal, the rest is republican/whatever.
If they come out and say they support 2A, they just lost their vote and any future chance of anything else.
Once elected, they'll either make things easier or worse for 2A advocates. I think I can honestly say.. brown will try and snuff 2A moreso because as it stands now, CA is a may issue state, he can make it as AG into a less restrictive rule.
Also remember, he was mayor of Oakland, where guns are a plenty along with the gangs that use them for evil. He has a reason to try and snuff 2A.
Poizner, unfortunately I believe has no chance, supporting 2A won't help him much, he just doesn't have the political machine(money) behind him.
Whitman has said she's fine where the 2A laws are now, so it doesn't sound like she's going to make things worse, but definetly not better. So the Open Carry ban law that's being written right now hopefully schwartzenegger veto's.. but it's hard to say, he wants everybody to get along. I'd rather him stick to movies.
If Whitman wins, she'll probably leave things as they are. it beats the democrat mantra of removing all guns from CA (then the country).
Fortunately the liberal bay area doesn't have as many people as So.Cal, which is more conservative, and No. Cal where everyone's been forgotten about. it's the only reason Republican governer's have been elected.
As much as I hate to say it.. I think Whitman can fix CA, which I think we need more than support of 2A rights. the NRA can get on her good side somehow after she's reformed everything.
Brown's old and out of touch and screwed CA 30 yrs ago. He'll simply blame republicans for his failures, as obama does now.

Connor P Price
05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Tagged. With 2A rights being infringed so heavily, especially here in CA, we need all the knowledge we can get.

SteveH
05-26-2010, 4:00 PM
Pro Gun Candidates:

Can anyone tell me more about Levitt?

I'm usually reluctant to vote for an Attorny turned politician.

chuckdc
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
If you have 10 minutes to spare, read my articles that I linked to above (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4334535&postcount=53). I've ran into a lot of people who seem to make up their minds as soon as they find out that PG&E is backing prop 16 and PG&E will benefit if it passes. It's a visceral reaction, and they don't go on to consider (objectively) whether they or their friends/town/state/country will benefit as well.

In those articles, I'm debating the leader of the opposition to prop 16 (he's kind of California's Al Gore and spent his whole career in the area of energy policy, here is his resume (http://greenenergywar.com/about-john-geesman/)). He links to his stuff, and I left all of his comments and links intact.

Fair and balanced: we report, you decide. :D

P.S. - If you don't have 10 minutes and only have 15 seconds, here is my conclusion in the first article:

I'd be a whole lot more supportive of it if it weren't calling for a 2/3 supermajority vote requirement.
Just because ONE of the guys opposing this happens to be a lib, doesn't mean that supporting it is right. Even a blind chicken finds some kernels (Not Colonel's.. the chicken would not be doing well after meeting HIM) now and again.
I'm not real impressed by the ethics of a company that just played the bankruptcy shell/holding company game to avoid the laws here in CA. That would he PG&E/PG&E Holdings. And now they are asking us to protect poor widdle them from all the evil local governments?
Sorry, they don't deserve this level of protection from competition, governmental or private. This effectively gives us no alternative to them whatsoever in their service areas.
I don't particularly care that SMUD is increasing their rates, as they will probably still be smaller than PiGgiE even AFTER the increases. I'm all for private industries, but when they become rapacious in their greed, they do deserve what happens to them, and shouldn't have supermajority requirements in the law backing them up, when a simple majority would be adequate. They just want to make sure that NOTHING stops them and their paid-for shills at the PUC from looting our wallets.

I am a stockholder in several utilities, and none of them are as bad as PG&E in what they do to their customers.

cbn620
05-27-2010, 7:29 AM
I'm sorry but I am a libertarian myself and do not support 16. Currently a lot of energy decisions are already made by people we elect. If we don't want those people do stupid things with our energy policy we don't elect them. That sounds like crap but it's a lot easier than getting 2/3 of a vote--any vote-- especially when you have the possibility of PG&E doing exactly what they're doing now: spending a boat load of money to lie to voters.

The argument as to constraining the government misses the argument for choices. If a group of people wants their energy policy changed now they rally local politicians. As impossible as that seems, rallying 2/3 of the electorate on a complex issue is far harder. If this passes and people ever want CCA or alternative energy in any way shape or form, or even simply to say no to PG&E, they must get nearly 70% of voters on their side to do it.

Framing this as an issue of government power is shortsighted. In the same vein this proposition gives PG&E massive government benefits because it is using the government to its own end: to stop other companies or programs from getting into the market unless nearly 70% of people agree on it.

Basically you're forgetting that PG&E is using government power to perform this action. The only government power a no on 16 vote gives is the government's power to tell PG&E it can't use the government's power to run a monopoly.

GrizzlyGuy
05-27-2010, 4:55 PM
I don't want to derail this thread, so I responded to many of you regarding Prop 16 here in the Prop 16-The taxpayer's right to vote act thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4357736#post4357736) (over in off-topic).

Turbinator
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
GrizzlyGuy et al, no problem on the prop 16 debate.

I will review the material and make up my own mind, but for now I think it is best for me to remove the guidance on any of the props for now, and let the voters here make up their own minds.

I'm going to need further help on the candidates, if anyone has inputs.

Turby

Turbinator
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Can anyone tell me more about Levitt?

I'm usually reluctant to vote for an Attorny turned politician.

Reluctance is understood. Here's what I've been able to discern thus far - from his website:

SECOND AMENDMENT

The right to bear arms is a fundamental right provided explicitly in the Bill of Rights. The Right needs to be protected and should be afforded to all law abiding citizens who wish to own a firearm.

Should you wish to read further -

http://www.levittforlg.com/?page_id=6

Turby

Ironmany2k
05-28-2010, 9:57 AM
Go to this site to hear Chuck DeVore's comments on the 2ndA. He talks about it at about 8:30 into the video:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1307581537469&oid=22771210763

Vote for Chuck DeVore for the US Senate on Jun 8.

Lulfas
05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Don't know anything about Damon Dunn, but please don't vote for Orly Taitz. She's just about completely insane. She's such a whacko even some of the AM radio people call her crazy.

Turbinator
05-31-2010, 9:06 AM
Don't know anything about Damon Dunn, but please don't vote for Orly Taitz. She's just about completely insane. She's such a whacko even some of the AM radio people call her crazy.

Thank you for the input. Anyone else have the same feedback on her?

Turby

M I K
06-03-2010, 8:46 PM
Fiorina is also rated A by the NRA. an I think she will have a better chance of beating Boxer.

A couple days ago I watched an interview she did. After seeing the way she was dressed (flamer), and listening to her talk about how she thinks we need government regulation of the Internet, I wanted to puke.

I then watced a video of the OTHER NRA recommendation Chuck DeVore. It is a no-brainer choice and Chuck has my vote

obeygiant
06-05-2010, 3:29 PM
btt

Turbinator
06-05-2010, 5:57 PM
Guys, voting time is nearly here. Do people not vote around here? Any other inputs?

Turby

OleCuss
06-05-2010, 6:03 PM
Poizner's website claims he's huge on 2nd Amendment with a nice tid bit that he wants to repeal AB962 (Ammo restrictions). He seems fine for a single issue candidate if that is the case. Conversely Whitman's website claims she is satisfied with current gun laws and doesn't want more...

No disagreement but it is important to note that Whitman says she doesn't want more gun control laws now. Leaving open the possibility that she will want more gun control laws in the future.

haveyourmile
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
No disagreement but it is important to note that Whitman says she doesn't want more gun control laws now. Leaving open the possibility that she will want more gun control laws in the future.

I think one thing we can all agree on is a vote for Whitman is NOT a vote for 2a rights. She is not a pro 2a candidate AT ALL, no matter what she might say to try and gain some last minute votes. Just look at EBAY. Nuff said.

I'm voting Brown.

Kokopelli
06-06-2010, 5:58 AM
Guys, voting time is nearly here. Do people not vote around here? Any other inputs?

Turby

I need suggestions for LA County Sheriff. LACo sherriff Lee Baca is on the ballot for reelection. I will not be voting for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the day that Los Angeles county voted 3 to 2 to boycott Arizona, the family of Jamiel Shaw is suing the county. The county released an illegal immigrant from jail. The next day, Jamiel was dead at the hands of the illegal.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kabc/cms_exf_2007/news/local/5996747_600x338.jpg

Jamiel Shaw Jr., 17
March 4, 2008 | 4:52 am

Jamiel Shaw Jr., 17, a black youth, was shot in the head and back at 2150 Fifth Ave. in Arlington Heights at about 8:40 p.m. on Sunday, March 2. According to police, Jamiel was walking home when two Latino men jumped out of a white car and approached him. He was asked what gang he belonged to; when he failed to respond quickly enough, they shot him. The men sped away in the white car north on Fifth Avenue, according to Officer Kate Lopez of LAPD's media relations office. Jamiel's father heard the shots and ran out. He stayed by his son until medical personnel arrived, Lopez said. He was transferred to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:55 p.m.

Arrest in murder of Jamiel Shaw Jr. (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local&id=6013048)

Family Sues sheriff over release of murderer (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/jamiel-shaw-lawsuit.html)

The family of slain high school football star Jamiel Shaw II sued the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, alleging that the department was negligent in releasing Shaw’s suspected killer from prison despite his immigration status.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, names Sheriff Lee Baca as a defendant and alleges that he “knew or should have known that they were releasing a convicted felon and illegal alien with an extensive history of gang violence into the Los Angeles community to perpetrate killings against African Americans.”

Shaw, 17, a talented running back who was recruited by Stanford and Rutgers, was gunned down last March, allegedly by Petro Espinoza, a reputed gang member who was in the U.S. illegally. Espinoza had been released from jail 28 hours before the shooting, after serving time for an earlier offense.

ricochet
06-06-2010, 7:15 AM
Ah jeez, NRA gives Levitt an F ... I guess politics isn't an exact science but it's just so damm frustrating. And with 2 days to go, the NRA-ILA site is still incomplete (they don't list Chuck or a guv).
Pro Gun Candidates:

Cnynrat
06-06-2010, 7:29 AM
I need suggestions for LA County Sheriff. LACo sherriff Lee Baca is on the ballot for reelection. I will not be voting for him.

Pretty frustrating that we don't get someone decent to run against Baca. Seems it's often difficult to get good candidates to run against the incumbent Sheriff since you often end up with someone that has to run against their boss.

Anyway, I will not vote for Baca under any circumstances, so unless a better idea comes along I plan to write in my own name. Maybe one of our Calguns LEOs would like to step forward?

Moving to a different race, what are people thinking about Gary Miller vs. Phil Liberatore? Miller has been a reliable pro-gun vote, and he is endorsed by the NRA. I don't like some of his other votes though, particularly TARP etc. Liberatore is a bit of an unknown, and the race has turned into a mud wrestling contest. Any thoughts about this one?

ricochet
06-06-2010, 7:36 AM
Not listed on the NRA-ILA site :-(

johnny_22
06-06-2010, 8:18 AM
Governor: Brown (Best Attorney General we have ever had as gun owners)
Lt.Gov. Newsom (don't trust Hahn and who is Korevaar?)
Attorney General: Kelly; Simply through a process of elimination.
Insurance Commissioner: Jones by flipping a coin
State Board of Equalization District 1: Ford, since an economist should understand how sales taxes affect California's businesses
US Senator: Kaus, because he is not Boxer
Assembly District 20: Garrett Yee; Former Republican and wants to protect the small pain and suffering insurance protection we have. Wieckowski is sponsored by the trial lawyers, and wants unlimited pain and suffering rewards. My medical insurance went up enough this year without making it worse.

On Judges, I never pick a Supervising DA, DDA or Prosecutor. I have sat on a few juries and none of them impressed me for intelligence.
Judge Superior Court Office 7: Spielbauer. (yes he has some baggage)
Office 11 Zecher
Office 19 Camors

School Superintendent: Romero, as a guess.
District Attorney: Rosen
Santa Clara County Sheriff: Monica

Measure B: YES (5 year limit and $84/year is not too much to preserve Science and Music classes. I know some think music is not needed in school, but, what I learned in music helped me in Physics with wave theory).

PROP 13 YES
PROP 14 NO
PROP 15 NO
PROP 16 NO
PROP 17 NO

VW*Mike
06-06-2010, 3:55 PM
I'm voting for Poizner in the primary. Brown is uncontested in the Dem circle, so IMO its damage control and lesser of the two evils to throw a vote towards Poizner to keep Whitman out of Nov.

ricochet
06-06-2010, 4:20 PM
My thought too and as the election get's closer, we can figure out who to throw our weight behind (in my case, to literally :-)

I'm voting for Poizner in the primary. Brown is uncontested in the Dem circle, so IMO its damage control and lesser of the two evils to throw a vote towards Poizner to keep Whitman out of Nov.

ricochet
06-06-2010, 4:24 PM
I wish Meg was pro 2A as I think she would do the right thing and run CA as a business rather than the political grab *** we've come to know. Much like Obama (shiver), she does have charm. On one side that's going to let her get things done on the other side she's not the horse running in our direction.

VW*Mike
06-06-2010, 5:30 PM
the thing that scares me about Whitman, is she is a political n00b. I like her stance on a few things, but she could be blowing smoke, who knows. She has only been registered to vote for a few years, thus has no interest in politics. I would think being in business, she should DAMN well have some political interests. She has no idea how politics actually work. She could tell us lots of stuff, but has no political know how to get anything done and we could have an empty pantsuit sitting in the Capitol for a few years just signing ****. Nope.

Poizner, I like his stance on a lot of stuff, but is he sincere? Or because he is behind, pandering for votes?

Jerry Brown. Far from conservative, but a few things he has done, and said, makes me think he regrets some past actions of his/party. I think he realizes his name and legacy rides on this one, and may use this as an attempt to set right what his generation of hippies and liberals screwed up..... I hope. As others have said, his weight on the 2nd by writing a brief for SCOTUS, is something he didn't have to do, especially close to election times, and did.

Prop 16 is confusing, yes PG&E are evil. But as stated earlier, why pay for all this and to get a prop on the ballot unless they stand to gain something..... local GOP suggests a yes vote, I'm thinking NO.

lioneaglegriffin
06-06-2010, 7:41 PM
O

you trust Newsom more than hahn? I'm a democrat too and i wouldn't vote Gavin Newsom for village idiot.

thebronze
06-06-2010, 8:12 PM
Attorney General: Kelly; Simply through a process of elimination.
Insurance Commissioner: Jones by flipping a coin
State Board of Equalization District 1: Ford, since an economist should understand how sales taxes affect California's businesses
US Senator: Kaus, because he is not Boxer
Assembly District 20: Garrett Yee; Former Republican and wants to protect the small pain and suffering insurance protection we have. Wieckowski is sponsored by the trial lawyers, and wants unlimited pain and suffering rewards. My medical insurance went up enough this year without making it worse.

On Judges, I never pick a Supervising DA, DDA or Prosecutor. I have sat on a few juries and none of them impressed me for intelligence.
Judge Superior Court Office 7: Spielbauer. (yes he has some baggage)
Office 11 Zecher
Office 19 Camors

School Superintendent: Romero, as a guess.
District Attorney: Rosen
Santa Clara County Sheriff: Monica

Measure B: YES (5 year limit and $84/year is not too much to preserve Science and Music classes. I know some think music is not needed in school, but, what I learned in music helped me in Physics with wave theory).

PROP 13 YES
PROP 14 NO
PROP 15 NO
PROP 16 NO
PROP 17 NO

Are you freaking kidding me?

You're on a gun board and you'd vote for Gavin Newsom for Lt. Gov, Some guy named Kelly for AG (instead of a pro-gun Constitutionalist like John Eastman) and Mickey Kaus for US Senate?

Gavin Freaking Newsom?

GTFOH

ErikTheRed
06-07-2010, 2:57 AM
My votes so far are as follows:

Please note that while 2A issues are at the top of my priority list, I am NOT a one-issue voter. My voting decisions are based on all the issues that are important to an American conservative such as myself. I have some research yet to do on several of the other candidates running for other offices, but listed below are my decisions for the following offices:

Governor: Steve Poizner

He's not perfect, but when examining the choices, he's the best bet. Rated A by the NRA. Fairly respectable on conservative issues, although he is pro-choice (but vehemently opposed to late-term abortion and public funding, and supports parental notification). Whitman is not even worth conservative consideration, she is a COMPLETE LIBERAL on almost all the issues and is seriously anti-gun. Brown is also a disaster. I am SHOCKED at the people here on this forum, gun-lovers or not, who are considering a vote for Brown. Simply amazes me.

Lt. Governor: Sam Aanestad

Dependable, proven conservative on all the issues, and rated an A+ by the NRA.

U.S. Senate: Chuck DeVore

SOLID conservative and 2nd Amendment stallwart.

Superintendent of Schools: Lydia Gutierrez

From her website: "Guaranteeing student graduates are able to read, write, and speak English. Ensuring accuracy in textbooks regarding our Founding Fathers, the Constitution and the sovereignty of the United States of America." She is supported by a majority of Tea Party activists, who are overwhelmingly pro-2A.

Prop 13: YES
Prop 14: NO
Prop 15: NO
Prop 16: NO (although it goes against some of my moral fiber, my long-time disgust for PG&E simply forces me to vote against them)
Prop 17: NO

thebronze
06-07-2010, 4:14 AM
My votes so far are as follows:

Please note that while 2A issues are at the top of my priority list, I am NOT a one-issue voter. My voting decisions are based on all the issues that are important to an American conservative such as myself. I have some research yet to do on several of the other candidates running for other offices, but listed below are my decisions for the following offices:

Governor: Steve Poizner

He's not perfect, but when examining the choices, he's the best bet. Rated A by the NRA. Fairly respectable on conservative issues, although he is pro-choice (but vehemently opposed to late-term abortion and public funding, and supports parental notification). Whitman is not even worth conservative consideration, she is a COMPLETE LIBERAL on almost all the issues and is seriously anti-gun. Brown is also a disaster. I am SHOCKED at the people here on this forum, gun-lovers or not, who are considering a vote for Brown. Simply amazes me.

Lt. Governor: Sam Aanestad

Dependable, proven conservative on all the issues, and rated an A+ by the NRA.

U.S. Senate: Chuck DeVore

SOLID conservative and 2nd Amendment stallwart.

Superintendent of Schools: Lydia Gutierrez

From her website: "Guaranteeing student graduates are able to read, write, and speak English. Ensuring accuracy in textbooks regarding our Founding Fathers, the Constitution and the sovereignty of the United States of America." She is supported by a majority of Tea Party activists, who are overwhelmingly pro-2A.

Prop 13: YES
Prop 14: NO
Prop 15: NO
Prop 16: NO (although it goes against some of my moral fiber, my long-time disgust for PG&E simply forces me to vote against them)
Prop 17: NO

This.

johnny_22
06-07-2010, 5:55 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?

You're on a gun board and you'd vote for Gavin Newsom for Lt. Gov, Some guy named Kelly for AG (instead of a pro-gun Constitutionalist like John Eastman) and Mickey Kaus for US Senate?

Gavin Freaking Newsom?

GTFOH

Hmmm, did you miss the fact that I am in a Democratic primary, as a registered Democrat? No Republicans appear on my ballot. Come November, it will be Maldonado for Lt. Gov, and Eastman for AG. Purely for gun rights, Carly is the right person for US Senate in November.

By the way, considering how many Facebook accounts have gun pictures on them, I can't call Kelly anti-gun, unlike Harris Toricco, and Lieu.

MSL209
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Treasurer: Mimi Walthers
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=29346

tophatjones
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
GOC Voters Guide: http://www.gunownersca.com/news/display/?id=733

DiamondCut
06-07-2010, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the GOC voting guide. This with the NRA guide helped a lot.
http://www.nrapvf.org/Elections/State.aspx?y=2010&State=CA

Both the GOA/GOC and the NRA recommended AANESTAD over LEVITT.

I'm pretty much a single issue voter too; and a libertarian. I'm on a Republican ballot because I resisted Rep. to vote for Ron Paul in 2008 but I need to de-register somehow. Plus, I have usually always been much happier with the decisions made my pro-2a people than then general populace so voting pro-2a only is my strategy than just examining each candidate.

cbn620
06-07-2010, 2:26 PM
Hmmm, did you miss the fact that I am in a Democratic primary, as a registered Democrat? No Republicans appear on my ballot. Come November, it will be Maldonado for Lt. Gov, and Eastman for AG. Purely for gun rights, Carly is the right person for US Senate in November.

By the way, considering how many Facebook accounts have gun pictures on them, I can't call Kelly anti-gun, unlike Harris Toricco, and Lieu.

Some people are prone to freaking the eff out when they see something liberal. I too am voting in the Democratic primary, though I'm not a registered Democrat.

Basically since I'm voting on a Dem primary ballot my goal is and in my opinion for anyone else doing so should be to get the best candidates on this end through. That means I skip on the really badly anti gun candidates even if it means picking no names. For me that means, for instance, picking Korevaar over Newsom or Hahn in the LG race. Korevaar is probably pretty anti-gun by my standards, but nowhere near as much as Newsom or Hahn. He's also talking pretty fiscally conservative for a Democrat. I disagree with Mickey Kaus on too many things to vote for that guy, and since it came down to him, Boxer, or Quintana, the latter is the no-brainer vote.

But really these are the primaries and to me it's all about getting Jerry Brown on the November ballot and levying my votes against people like Boxer and Newsom. Those are admirable goals from a pro-gun perspective if not a Republican perspective entirely, so I really don't know why the more conservative of members on here want to get their panties in a wad. I could choose to vote in your primary but it wouldn't make a difference. When the general election comes around my votes will change quite a bit since more than one party will be on my ballot. I will probably vote for Dems, Reps, and maybe even a Libertarian on my November ballot.

I don't think "GTFOH" should be something we see on these forums. Plain and simple. Even if Sarah Brady herself is posting here that is not the kind of attitude I like to see. But I guess if foaming at the mouth is something certain people would like to do on these boards, that's between them and the staff here.

cbn620
06-07-2010, 2:31 PM
Anyone else with a Democrat ballot want to weigh in on the Insurance Comish race? I know it's not the most important position especially from a gun rights standpoint but I like to research all of my votes.

Also can someone tell me what to do on the Treasurer vote? Yeah I am not voting for Bill Lockyer. But my question is, if I leave it blank, will that cause a problem? Do I need to write-in Zombie Michael Jackson for this to be a valid ballot, or do I just leave it blank?

Rascal
06-07-2010, 5:30 PM
You do not have to fill in all the blanks. Your ballot is still good if you leave blank spots. It is your right to NOT vote for a position if those who are running are not to your liking.

cbn620
06-07-2010, 5:51 PM
Thanks man. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Appreciate the response.

Cokebottle
06-07-2010, 6:52 PM
Come November, it will be Maldonado for Lt. Gov.
:puke:
The perfect definition of lying snake.

In the general, I'll throw my support to the Libertarian rather than vote for Maldonado.
I refuse to vote "lessor of two evils".

The same will be true if it's Brown vs Meg.

lioneaglegriffin
06-07-2010, 8:01 PM
Anyone else with a Democrat ballot want to weigh in on the Insurance Comish race? I know it's not the most important position especially from a gun rights standpoint but I like to research all of my votes.

Also can someone tell me what to do on the Treasurer vote? Yeah I am not voting for Bill Lockyer. But my question is, if I leave it blank, will that cause a problem? Do I need to write-in Zombie Michael Jackson for this to be a valid ballot, or do I just leave it blank?

Dave Jones is billed as more of the consumer champion and Torre is pretty much a general liberal

http://www.delatorre2010.com/issues

http://www.davejones2010.com/issues.php

i'm going with Jones

tophatjones
06-07-2010, 9:04 PM
DONT vote for Jones OR La Torre. They both voted in favor of AB 962 and Jones authored AB 2521.

The Author of AB 2521, CA Assemblyman Dave Jones, claims the new system is designed to "protect the consumer" by insuring gun shipments are not sent to recipients whose Federal Licenses are not in good standing. That, of course is nonsense. Current Federal law already requires a shipping FFL to confirm that the shipment's recipient has a valid license. No, the real purpose for the new law is to impose a wall of red tape blocking shipments to California. The new law has already had a chilling effect. There have already been a plethera of notices on gun auction boards stating: "Due to new regulations, we will not ship firearms to California".

grywlfbg
06-07-2010, 9:13 PM
For you Dems, I'm voting Mike Schmier for AG.

He's kind of a dork but he claims to support 2A. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vdsYG0mUrU&feature=related

lioneaglegriffin
06-07-2010, 9:34 PM
DONT vote for Jones OR La Torre. They both voted in favor of AB 962 and Jones authored AB 2521.

The Author of AB 2521, CA Assemblyman Dave Jones, claims the new system is designed to "protect the consumer" by insuring gun shipments are not sent to recipients whose Federal Licenses are not in good standing. That, of course is nonsense. Current Federal law already requires a shipping FFL to confirm that the shipment's recipient has a valid license. No, the real purpose for the new law is to impose a wall of red tape blocking shipments to California. The new law has already had a chilling effect. There have already been a plethera of notices on gun auction boards stating: "Due to new regulations, we will not ship firearms to California".

not sure what that has to do with this:

Oversees and directs all functions of the Department of Insurance.
Licenses, regulates, and examines insurance companies.
Answers public questions and complaints regarding the insurance industry.
Enforces the laws of the California Insurance Code and adopts regulations to implement the laws.

Fate
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Superior Court Judge Office No. 28 (So Cal) comparison page:
http://www.metnews.com/articles/2010/judielec032910.htm

actually a lot of the judge races discussed on this site

timitzer
09-07-2010, 2:21 AM
CRPA 2010 State Voter Guide
Saturday, 04 September 2010 06:20 | Author: GND Staff |
The California Rifle & Pistol Association has published its list of pro and anti-gun candidates for the California State Senate, Assembly and county Sheriffs. The list is comprehensive and lets voters in California know who is or isn't on their side, or those who simply decided to not state their position.
NOVEMBER 2, 2010 GENERAL ELECTION

CANDIDATE GRADING KEY 2010 GENERAL ELECTION

CLICK HERE >>>>>>http://www.gunnewsdaily.com/index.php/article-archives/509-crpa-2010-state-voter-guide