View Full Version : Obtaining copy of handgun registration?

05-09-2010, 3:36 PM
I'm traveling abroad in a few months and I might want to take a handgun with me. The country I'm going to allows handguns coming into the country with foreign travelers but requires, among other things, a copy of the registration document from whatever government (in this case State of CA) that the firearm is registered with. I've never received registration documents when purchasing a handgun (my understanding is that they aren't provided) so would this be a sales receipt from the dealer? Or is there something on file with the state that I must obtain?


ETA: maybe this is a better question for general firearms discussion forum since it's not really politics or law related.

05-09-2010, 4:00 PM
See "What is registered to you?" here. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration#What_is_registered_to_you.3F ) That report that you can get from DOJ might work(?).

05-09-2010, 4:51 PM
You can get a copy of all firearms registered to you from the DOJ. The request has to be notarized and the last time I did it, it took several months.

"To obtain a list of firearms listed in your name, complete and submit an Automated Firearms System Records Request PDF logo [PDF 21 kb / 1 pg] form to the Automated Firearms Unit, P.O. Box 820200, Sacramento, CA 94203-0200. The letter must be signed, notarized, and include a photocopy of your photo ID card (ie., driver's license or DMV ID)."


05-09-2010, 6:16 PM
Is there a potential pitfall here in the Arms Export Control Act?

05-09-2010, 6:34 PM
Just curious, which country? :confused:

05-09-2010, 8:43 PM
Just curious, which country? :confused:

Costa Rica. I've been there a few times already and it's a pretty safe country, but I plan to do some jungle camping on this trip and having a sidearm seems like a good safety precaution.

Thanks guys. I'll probably skip it. :P Too complicated

05-09-2010, 8:46 PM
Is there a potential pitfall here in the Arms Export Control Act?

There is an exemption for personal export and re-import. There may be a customs form requirement for the US side though.


05-09-2010, 8:46 PM
Can you just buy one there? It might be cheaper and easier.

05-10-2010, 8:56 AM
Go to any Customs office and get a Form 4452 which documents firearm ownership by serial number. You fill it out Customs guy checks serial number on firearm and stamps and signs; you keep the only copy.

Coming back to US you will need this form to prove ownership. Expect Customs to capture your name and serial number as you enter the US.