PDA

View Full Version : What do the late Senator Edward Kennedy, Nelson Mandela and Sam Adams, aged 5...

advocatusdiaboli
05-09-2010, 8:30 AM
From a Reuters article...

"What do the late Senator Edward Kennedy, Nelson Mandela and Sam Adams, aged 5, have in common? They have all been on one of America’s terrorist watch lists and found it was easier to get on than off."

"What will be happening with the watch lists seems clear: they will grow because of the nature of Washington bureaucracies whose mode of operation include the principle of CYA (Cover Your ***). In other words, there is little downside for officials who err on the side of adding too many names but there is a lot for letting an Abdulmutallab slip through."

The terrorists are winning as we disassemble our freedoms and rights one by one. They didn't even need to kill many of us--compared to Israel in size, we have lost far fewer. 9-11 killed 1/10 of the number of people we kill in auto accidents every single year- and 1/10 of the number who die from the flu in the US every year. Yet, we are so concerned, we are throwing away our fundamental rights and liberties.

We can and we should fight terrorists and try to prevent their actions, but not at the cost of what makes us great and makes us free.

[URL="http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2010/05/08/the-trouble-with-u-s-terrorist-watch-lists/"/the-trouble-with-u-s-terrorist-watch-lists[/URL]

RRangel
05-09-2010, 8:32 AM
This is not a generic rights forum. Can a mod please remove this?

Maestro Pistolero
05-09-2010, 8:57 AM
This is not a generic rights forum. Can a mod please remove this?It is quite related to gun rights, as Bloomberg and thugs were in front of congress this week urging them to deny gun sales to anyone on that list without due process. That said, it is a drive by post, because it simply quotes without question or comment.

-hanko
05-09-2010, 9:07 AM
This is not a generic rights forum. Can a mod please remove this?
Bravo Sierra.

-hanko

FS00008
05-09-2010, 9:08 AM
This is related to gun rights with the terrorist bill from Schumer.

advocatusdiaboli
05-09-2010, 9:09 AM
It is quite related to gun rights, as Bloomberg and thugs were in front of congress this week urging them to deny gun sales to anyone on that list without due process. That said, it is a drive by post, because it simply quotes without question or comment.

The purpose is to inform. I'd be repeating myself if I posted my vigorous opposition (posted here many times in another thread) to denying constitutional rights to individuals without due process simply because a bureaucrat somewhere by some secret rule based on secret evidence put their name on a secret list they aren't even told about. What's new here is that same very famous individuals that the liberals cherish ended up on the list. And since the liberals have been clamoring for this new law, then this might show them how dangerous it really is.

I'll add the above to my original post--will that redress you complaint?

And it is very much about 2A rights and that they are in danger of being taken away without due process. Just because some of you don't like my politics (boo hoo he thinks Palin is a dolt), I have free speech especially where it is valid in a forum because it's about 2A rights in a forum entitled: "2nd Amendment Politic and laws". Stop censoring those you disagree with. We have other rights besides 2A/

eric2063
05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow I love this forum! It just reinforces how fortunate we are to have the liberties and freedoms afforded us in this great Republic! :)
I agree with Advocate this particular piece of legislation very much threatens the RKBA. Worst case scenario it passes and makes it that much harder to exercise your 2A rights until the SCOTUS over turns it, just a raging PITA in any case. :mad: Very much like the current legislation Sacramento is hocking to eliminate UOC, a thinly veiled attempt to have the government tell you what is good and not good for you.
I can see this “No fly list” legislation making some strange bed fellows, the Civil Liberties Union working with the NRA comes to mind, because it is troubling. Of course I felt (and still feel) the same way about the Patriot Act as well and it hasn’t manifested as a worst case scenario….yet! :TFH:

yellowfin
05-09-2010, 11:14 AM
What bothers me is the anonymity and lack of direct personal recourse against the bureaucrats in this particular regard, and in general for that matter. If I can sue a doctor for malpractice if he cuts off the wrong toe, I should very well be able to legally crucify someone for putting someone on any government list. "Sorry, we're busy and we're the government, it's our perogative to be wrong" doesn't cut it.