PDA

View Full Version : Safe Handling Demo

littlejake
05-09-2010, 8:22 AM
May a dealer who knows a customer well; and is confident the person knows how to handle a specific handgun, waive the actual performance of the Safe Handling Demonstration ?

the_natterjack
05-09-2010, 8:38 AM
I would doubt it.

Check the law that requires it. If you don't see an exception then it is always required.

Just laugh about it and do the demo.

Brian

advocatusdiaboli
05-09-2010, 9:03 AM
There are waivers but I believe they are the same as for the HSC waivers. The potential for corruption via cronyism and nepotism usually eliminates the "know the person well" waivers from most legal codes.

You should check however. I read them once and did not remember that as a waiver though I could be wrong.

If I held an FFL, I would do everything by the book--no exceptions. If it is a private transaction, who is to know but you and the person, but it's risky if there are witnesses.

diginit
05-09-2010, 9:15 AM
Doing the demo is a good idea. That way if there is something about a certain gun you don't know, it can be explained. Such as the difference between loading a single action revolver as opposed to a topbreak or swing out cylinder. Example: Some derringers are topbreak, some bottom break with the barrel swinging up over the top strap, Some, the barrel turns sideways. Sometimes, even the dealer can't figure out how to open them...

RANGER295
05-09-2010, 10:31 AM
My FFL was my Scoutmaster when I was in Scouts. I have known him for over 15 years. He is the person that first taught me how to shoot. I can not tell you how many times we have gone shooting together. If he has a gun related technical or legal question, he usually calls me. All of this said, when I DROS a handgun through him, I still do the safe handling demo. We usually make jokes about how stupid it is and all, but we still go through the motions. There is no exemption in the law for the FFL knowing the person.

littlejake
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I had armed guard credentials from CA/BSIS from 1994 into mid 2007. They were an exemption back when the BFSC was required (pre HSC.) Then they were an exemption from the safe handling demo -- that's one of the exceptions still in the law for the safe handling demo.

In 40+ years of experience I have handled a lot of handguns... from broomhandle Mausers to 4 barrel Mossberg .22's

I do see some people doing the demo that really need it -- sometimes they even scare me.

Thanks for the replies

Kindest Regards,

Jake

Cokebottle
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
There are waivers but I believe they are the same as for the HSC waivers.
I'm not sure that the HSC waivers exempt you from the safe handling demo. The COE exempts you from the HSC and 1-every-30, as well as the 10 day wait on C&R, but it doesn't exempt you from the safe handling demo.

Havoc70
05-09-2010, 11:40 AM
When I picked up my Sig, I field stripped it, inspected it, re-assembled it, racked the slide, checked the slide catch, etc. when it got delivered to the dealer from the store I bought it from. 240 hours later, I walked in and they said, "We've already seen you handle it, you're good to go" :).

halifax
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure that the HSC waivers exempt you from the safe handling demo. The COE exempts you from the HSC and 1-every-30, as well as the 10 day wait on C&R, but it doesn't exempt you from the safe handling demo.

If the buyer claims one of the HSC exemptions, the demo is waived.

When I picked up my Sig, I field stripped it, inspected it, re-assembled it, racked the slide, checked the slide catch, etc. when it got delivered to the dealer from the store I bought it from. 240 hours later, I walked in and they said, "We've already seen you handle it, you're good to go" :).

I hope you still signed the "Safe Handling Demonstration Affidavit"

Cokebottle
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Too bad Turner's doesn't have that attitude.

It's a "safe handling demonstration", but Turner's seems to think it's time for "FUD Class on Storage and Transportation of Firearms" and the SHD is the final exam.