PDA

View Full Version : Latest Brady eMail for May 9th

CaliforniaLiberal
05-09-2010, 3:36 AM
Happy Mother's Day from the Brady Campaign

"Ten years ago on Mother’s Day, hundreds of thousands marched in Washington DC and around the country in support of stricter gun laws….and so the Million Mom March Chapters were born. Sadly, one million people in the U.S. have been shot – and 300,000 killed by gunfire – since then.

The Million Mom March Chapters merged with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in 2001. The now twenty-two California Chapters of the Brady Campaign have had many successes. Our state leads the nation in enacting the strongest gun laws and our laws are working! (The “Pentagon Shooter” could not pass the background check and was unable to purchase a gun in California because of a mental health prohibition; unfortunately he was able to buy two guns at a gun show in Nevada -- he then went to Washington DC and injured two officers before he was killed.) More can be done in California and much more needs to be done nationally. We must close the national gun show loophole.

Unfortunately, the philosophy of any gun, anywhere, anytime, and owned by anybody is still being pushed by many in our country. The Brady Campaign – and its California Chapters – will continue to work to defeat this dangerous agenda and push for more commonsense gun laws. We march every day for gun violence prevention. Thank you for being part of this important effort!

I am wishing you a safe and happy Mother’s Day.

Best regards,
Amanda

Amanda Wilcox
California Chapters
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
530-432-2171
mmmnevadaco@nacctel.com
www.bradycampaign.org/CA "

Hope this isn't too obnoxious for you all. This is a small group of people with influence far out of proportion to their numbers. How do we get some of that influence? Or at least lessen theirs.

Merc1138
05-09-2010, 4:16 AM
Hope this isn't too obnoxious for you all. This is a small group of people with influence far out of proportion to their numbers. How do we get some of that influence? Or at least lessen theirs.

The problem is that they get support from the general public.

Wait, let me rephrase that. The problem is that the general public has this habit of agreeing with them when they make loaded statements like "we want to keep your children safe" and "keep the guns from killing children", because the general public, especially in California is a bunch of sheep who can barely think for themselves and go about their daily lives. Thus, it's very easy to make guns seem "evil", and even idiots usually agree that "evil things" aren't good.

What can you do? Fight back with facts. The brady campaign only says "guns are evil, people get killed by guns, ban guns", well they never bother to show crime statistics for areas where guns are easier to obtain and far easier to get permits to carry(don't even need permits in some places now to carry concealed). They'll never announce that a gun owner stopped a rape, robbery, or attempt to murder/harm another human being because they were able to respond with a gun.

The thing about sheeple, is that while they can be easily convinced of something, society has a habit of getting very ticked off when they find out they've been lied to, after enough people beat the facts into their heads.

Glock-matic
05-09-2010, 4:42 PM
Maybe point out the political spin on their successes?

Our state leads the nation in enacting the strongest gun laws and our laws are working! (The “Pentagon Shooter” could not pass the background check and was unable to purchase a gun in California because of a mental health prohibition; unfortunately he was able to buy two guns at a gun show in Nevada.

I am glad a Californian could buy a gun at a gun show in California, I know I can't.

Since these folks are testifying to state legislatures, and they are quite loose with their facts and statistics, it would be good to see a young ballsy attorney sue them for offering false testimony. I doubt any conviction would be made, but it could attract attention to their constantly doctored statistics. Then again, I want to be a fly on the wall at the Brady HQ come June.

bwiese
05-09-2010, 9:04 PM
(quoting the Bradys) "any gun, anywhere, anytime..."

I like that slogan. Perhaps the new Calguns motto? ;)

Hope this isn't too obnoxious for you all. This is a small group of people with influence far out of proportion to their numbers. How do we get some of that influence? Or at least lessen theirs.[/QUOTE]

They actually have not-that-much traction.

Much of the antigun stuff coming out of Sacto is just random feelgood stick-to-the-wall stuff that doesn't even originate from the Bradys. The Brady reps (the Bleks) come around screaming in legislators offices and get thrown out.

Word has it Alison Merrilees - former DOJ Firearms Bureau Dept AG - had a bit of a falling out with LCAV's Juliet Leftwich when the former told the latter the LCAV goals weren't even remotely realistic.

The excellent 'Arms and the Law' website showed the Bradys trying to raise funds to fight 'Open Carry' drama - and they've collected all of $20 against a $10K goal.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2010/05/this_is_really.php#comments

https://www.karma411.com/Markslist/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=3756

Gunnies are and will be winning. Yeah we have a higher threshold in CA, but we'll get there. We have the people on the ground, the skill sets, the favorable court decisions in the past and the future.

We even have a much more favorable 'organizational social context': put some gun people together - and we shoot, BBQ and have fun. Put the antis together and it's just a buncha killjoys figuring out how to stop people from doing something. Generally the former succeeds over the latter.