PDA

View Full Version : legality of no mag release?

destro360
05-09-2010, 2:20 AM
did some searching and didnt quite find the info on this... if you are working on your complete ar rifle and for some reason have to remove the bullet button, (broken, or just repairs) does that make the rifle "illegal"? or is it ok as long as you dont put in the regular mag release? any info would be great. most ffl's i know of recomend that as the first part you install. this is why im curious....

Merc1138
05-09-2010, 2:28 AM
did some searching and didnt quite find the info on this... if you are working on your complete ar rifle and for some reason have to remove the bullet button, (broken, or just repairs) does that make the rifle "illegal"? or is it ok as long as you dont put in the regular mag release? any info would be great. most ffl's i know of recomend that as the first part you install. this is why im curious....

You'd take the upper off before removing the mag release, right? If so, the lower is not a centerfire rifle.

Jicko
05-09-2010, 3:51 AM

As mentioned, take OFF your upper first... then it is no longer a "centerfired firearm".... with your upper in, it is still a VERY functional firearm if you hold the magazine in the mag well with your hand.... and then all u need to detach the magazine is merely dropping it.... in that form, there is a "high risk" that such weapon be categorized as an AW.

destro360
05-09-2010, 8:06 AM
As mentioned, take OFF your upper first... then it is no longer a "centerfired firearm".... with your upper in, it is still a VERY functional firearm if you hold the magazine in the mag well with your hand.... and then all u need to detach the magazine is merely dropping it.... in that form, there is a "high risk" that such weapon be categorized as an AW.

this is what i was assuming just didnt want to believe haha i think someone else was saying as long as the buttstock is attached you need a bb on it... kinda lame when you need to make a repair or whatever but thats life and what makes us ca" gunners" so "sharp" haha:rolleyes:

mej16489
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Using the same logic, why not just remove the BCG?

762cavalier
05-09-2010, 12:50 PM

because without just the BCG it is still a centerfire rifle. without the upper it is just a lower receiver.

Cokebottle
05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
because without just the BCG it is still a centerfire rifle. without the upper it is just a lower receiver.
Not really.
The BCG could be replaced with a 22lr conversion kit and it would not require a BB.

The AK platform is a bit more touchy, since the upper and lower can't be separated.
The only "Safe" way to remove the maglock from an AK is to remove all of the evil features prior to removing the mag lock.
Ordinarily, this would mean simply removing the PG and a VFG if equipped, but a telescoping buttstock would also have to be removed.

bwiese
05-09-2010, 1:05 PM
this is what i was assuming just didnt want to believe haha i think someone else was saying as long as the buttstock is attached you need a bb on it... kinda lame when you need to make a repair or whatever but thats life and what makes us ca" gunners" so "sharp" haha:rolleyes:

A lower without an upper - even if pistol grip and telestock attached -is NOT semiauto, nor centerfire, nor even a rifle.

There's no constructive possession - and that lower without a BulletButton installed could even be targeted at a rimfire or bolt-action configuration.

bwiese
05-09-2010, 1:08 PM
Not really.
The BCG could be replaced with a 22lr conversion kit and it would not require a BB.

Whoa there.

A semiauto centerfire rifle with evil features and the bolt carrier removed likely will NOT remove AW status.

A 22LR conversion bolt carrier should be installed before the rifle is reassembled.

There was a FAL case in LA based on dude removing bolt carrier to be "not a AW since it doesn't work" - can't remember all the details - but it was found against him. (There was apparently other 'color' to this case.) Something incomplete/nonoperational can likely be regarded as a "broken AW" instead of a non-AW if specifc steps moving it away from AW status have not been taken, so "don't go there" on assumptions.

weezil_boi
05-09-2010, 1:42 PM

if this were true, all bolt action rifles with the bolt removed would be rendered non-firearms. nope.