PDA

View Full Version : Thousands take part in LA gun buy-back

nick
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
The usual BS from L.A. Times. I won't even bother to point out all the inaccuracies.

Thousands take part in LA gun buy-back

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_15047451?source=rss

By C.J. Lin, Staff Writer
Posted: 05/08/2010 06:37:48 PM PDT
Updated: 05/08/2010 07:03:56 PM PDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site200/2010/0508/20100508__guns3.jpg
This box filled with pistols was dropped off by a gun owner on Saturday, May 8, 2010. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, LAPD and faith-based groups hold second citywide Gun Buyback program aimed at reducing gun violence in the city. In exchange for guns, residents were given prepaid Visa cards or Ralph's gift certificates. The Valley buy-back location is the Facey Medical Center Parking Lot in Mission Hills, California. | See photo gallery. (John McCoy/staff photographer)

Lines of cars with guns stashed in backseats or trunks stretched for miles at various points around the city on Saturday as thousands clamored for cash in exchange for anonymously offering their unwanted firearms to police.

Los Angeles police officers asked no questions about where the guns were coming from or why they were being turned in as they collected an assortment of weapons ranging from rusted vintage revolvers and tiny derringers to sawed-off shotguns, AK-47s and black-matte machine guns.

"The less guns we have in Los Angeles, the less homicides we'll have," said Police Chief Charlie Beck at a morning news conference in Boyle Heights, where six people were shot, two fatally, overnight.

Handguns, rifles and shotguns fetched a $100 prepaid Visa card or Ralph's gift card, and assault guns garnered $200 each.

"I could use some extra money for groceries," said one North Hollywood man who declined to give his name as he waited to turn in a handgun and two .22-caliber rifles in the parking lot of Facey Medical Center in Mission Hills. "They've just been sitting in the closet as long as I've been alive."

Several people said that the guns were gifts or hand-me-downs that they had no use for. Others had been avid hunters or trappers, but no longer had time for their hobbies.

"I've had it since I was 15 and my son don't want it," said Richard Luberacki, 77, of Newbury Park, of the shotgun he was turning in. "I thought it'd be for a good cause."

The exchange was part of the city's 2nd annual Gun Buy Back Initiative, an effort aimed at getting guns off the street in hopes of cutting down on homicides and violent crime.

"There are guns laying in drawers in houses throughout Los Angeles and those guns are of no use to anyone," said Beck, adding that he was hoping to see a large number of small, concealable handguns, the type most often used in violent crimes. "They are going to fall into the wrong hands, either the burglar that comes into your house and they turn it over to a gang members...or into your children's hands."

About 1,700 guns were gathered at last year's buy-back, and officials hoped to hit 2,500 this year, although the program only had a budget of $200,000.

Gift cards began running out around noon at the Mission Hills location, but some people still chose to drop off their guns. Others, despite waiting in line for more than two hours, left when they heard that the cash was gone.

"It's a bad economy and people are just wanting to make up for it," said Kelly Koskella, 48, of Valencia.

She and her husband were hoping to get the Visa card for a small .28-caliber handgun and planned to use that to buy a new gun.

Officers checked the guns to see if they were unloaded, pointing them into a barrel filled with sand. After they were cleared, they were threaded with wire from the barrel through the chamber. Intact serial numbers were taken down to find out if stolen guns could be reunited with proper owners, although because the program promised anonymity they did not track who turned in which guns.

The guns that weren't stolen will then be melted down.

"Homicides and violence are down every year for the last eight years now, yet there are still too many," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said. "So today...we're working to buy back weapons guns, rifles, assault weapons - weapons that don't have any place on the streets of Los Angeles," he said.

The number of guns collected was not available Saturday.

PutTogether
05-09-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm actually impressed they tracked serial numbers to try get stolen guns back to their rightful owners. I'm not sure that I believe it it - but if it were true, it is certainly cool. A glass of ice water in hell.

FatalKitty
05-09-2010, 12:38 AM
"I've had it since I was 15 and my son don't want it," said Richard Luberacki, 77, of Newbury Park, of the shotgun he was turning in. "I thought it'd be for a good cause."

good cause? you now no longer have the ability to defend yourself against the thousands of criminals who DIDN'T hand their guns over...

Vtec44
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM
She and her husband were hoping to get the Visa card for a small .28-caliber handgun and planned to use that to buy a new gun.

Awesome!

robcoe
05-09-2010, 12:47 AM
This is sad. Most of the people who got $100 for a gun could have probably sold that gun to someone who wanted it for 2 or 3 times that much.

"It's a bad economy and people are just wanting to make up for it," said Kelly Koskella, 48, of Valencia.

This woman has the right idea.

Alaric
05-09-2010, 12:48 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site200/2010/0508/20100508__guns3.jpg

"Box full of AK47's" - LA Times

crackerman
05-09-2010, 1:13 AM
I heard on the news some one brought a grenade, but that was a nono but hilarious.

thevic
05-09-2010, 2:05 AM
lol id be stoping people before they throw those things away and paying them cashhhh

05-09-2010, 3:29 AM
lol id be stoping people before they throw those things away and paying them cashhhh

sounds pretty illegallll

jshoebot
05-09-2010, 4:52 AM
It might be a good idea for somebody with an FFL to set up shop at one of these things and start doing PPT's..

Cali-Shooter
05-09-2010, 4:58 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=167547617

Someone could make a small profit buying Lorcin or Raven pistols for $50 and submitting them to the buyback for $100. How's that for getting guns off the streets? Take that!

AJAX22
05-09-2010, 6:02 AM
That box full of ravens is probably from the two pallets of them that was stolen from the factory

tenpercentfirearms
05-09-2010, 6:54 AM
Honestly, who cares if all of these guns get turned in? They are just objects. Turn them in, get some money, and melt them down. The more guns we take out of circulation, the more brand new ones you have to buy from me later! :43:

SanPedroShooter
05-09-2010, 7:08 AM
"The less guns we have in Los Angeles, the less homicides we'll have," said Police Chief Charlie Beck at a morning news conference in Boyle Heights, where six people were shot, two fatally, overnight.

does this sound like BS to anyone else? I mean unless you get them all, and I mean every single one, the people that use them for evil will always have them.
Theres no way on gods green earth that i would ever voluntarily hand in my guns. How could someone feel better about being disarmed? I mean even if you never use the thing, at least its there...

"There are guns laying in drawers in houses throughout Los Angeles and those guns are of no use to anyone," said Beck, adding that he was hoping to see a large number of small, concealable handguns, the type most often used in violent crimes. "They are going to fall into the wrong hands, either the burglar that comes into your house and they turn it over to a gang members...or into your children's hands."
another gem
the poleeeeece will protect meeeeeeeee.... baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?

CitaDeL
05-09-2010, 7:17 AM
Honestly, who cares if all of these guns get turned in? They are just objects. Turn them in, get some money, and melt them down. The more guns we take out of circulation, the more brand new ones you have to buy from me later! :43:

I do. Here's why.

We all agree that the gun buy backs are not truly effective at fighting crime. Those who are inclined to exchange the weapons are probably not criminals, because criminals would value even the appearance of a weapon (even if it didnt work) over a gift card. We also all agree that firearms are not the cause of crime (because they are only a tool in a person's hand.) So if this does not fight crime and firearms do not cause crime the only purpose for the gun buy back is for desiminating propaganda.

This is an event designed for the media to demonize firearms and accuse the implement for the staggering violent crime in our communities. So when you see these buy backs on the news, its actually a free advertisment by local media for anti-gunners to advance their beliefs with the support of local law enforcement. A free advertisment, I might add, that would discourage potential customers from buying a new or used weapon from you as a gun retailer.

AJAX22
05-09-2010, 7:20 AM
Every gun in American hands is a guarantee of freedom

every one surendered is a step towards tyrrany

think of liberators.... Any gun that can go bang once is usefull

pullnshoot25
05-09-2010, 7:25 AM
This article nearly made me puke. This is right up there with throwing away grandma's baccarat crystal and grandpa's old tools. People have no sentimentality. However, sentimentality aside, these people are fools for being so cavalier and accepting so little.

BigDogatPlay
05-09-2010, 7:38 AM
Intact serial numbers were taken down to find out if stolen guns could be reunited with proper owners, although because the program promised anonymity they did not track who turned in which guns.

So the reporter is telling us that LAPD officers were willfully failing to arrest those who were committing a felony by merely possessing a gun with an altered or obliterated serial number.

Yep... gonna clear a whole bunch of unsolved homicides that way Charlie.

locktime
05-09-2010, 7:41 AM
A very large percentage of the guns handed over at these events are not worth $100.

Participants are merely allowing the govt to pay well above market for something they deem worthless.

jshoebot
05-09-2010, 7:53 AM
Also a waste of taxpayers money.. Budget of $200,000 dollars to give out, when it does nothing except disarm potential victims, and all they do is melt down the guns. To me, that looks like 200g's wasted for no reason..

FortCourageArmory
05-09-2010, 8:05 AM
It might be a good idea for somebody with an FFL to set up shop at one of these things and start doing PPT's..
I had a couple of guys at the Misson Hills location to divert guns to my shop so we could give cash for their guns. I didn't get a single taker all day long.

RRangel
05-09-2010, 8:38 AM

Simply astounding. This statement and reasoning for the "buyback" is so simplistic as to be laughable. It's obviously a feel good measure that will have little result when it comes to crime perpetrated by gang members. It's reminscent of the way subjects in third world nations are treated and not sovereign citizens. City officials may as well spell out that it's better to be dead than armed.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 8:42 AM
I had a couple of guys at the Misson Hills location to divert guns to my shop so we could give cash for their guns. I didn't get a single taker all day long.

Unfortunately, I had a feeling that might happen. Oh well, at least you tried.

dirtnap
05-09-2010, 8:44 AM
I've got a boken Jennings begging to be traded for 100.00 towards something better...and I paid a whole 70.00 for it new.

Lulfas
05-09-2010, 9:44 AM
I heard on the news some one brought a grenade, but that was a nono but hilarious.

I know the Chicago buyback (which I believe was last weekend) got a pair of grenades, and a couple of IEDs.

radioburning
05-09-2010, 9:44 AM
About 1,700 guns were gathered at last year's buy-back

"Homicides and violence are down every year for the last eight years now, yet there are still too many," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.

From the L.A. times...

L.A. NOW
Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »
L.A. homicide numbers keep rising, up 5% compared to same period last year
April 6, 2010 | 2:53 pm

But wait, I thought with 1,700 guns off the street, L.A. should've been safer this year? Every year they're gonna do more buybacks, homicide will go up, and they'll still blame the guns and want to do more buybacks. I think that's the legal definition of insanity.

Lulfas
05-09-2010, 9:45 AM

I drove around a couple of times trying to decide if I wanted to get in that line and never saw them.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I drove around a couple of times trying to decide if I wanted to get in that line and never saw them.

Well, whatcha trying to get rid of?

Mute
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
That's great. Use tax payer's money to help criminals get rid of crime evidence. Simply briilant.

RTE
05-09-2010, 10:11 AM

I like the thought of old and useless for new.

Lets hope the one she turned in was not a .28 Colt Paterson :eek:
She would have been able to trade it for a new pistol of her choice and any shop.

I have 2 thoughts on the matter
people who have them legally and dont want them OR want to cash them out....should do some research and turn it over to someone who still wants it.
The second could be a gift card bounty on :D

Milsurp Collector
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401461E.jpg
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401462E.jpg

http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401465E.jpg
Caption: Larry Schlessinger,88, talks to Officer Lee Perry before turning in his vintage WWII 9mm Beretta.

http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401466E.jpg
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401467E.jpg
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401468E.jpg

Milsurp Collector
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401469E.jpg
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/PHOTOS/LADN/1000320/29401470E.jpg

CCWFacts
05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
That's great. Use tax payer's money to help criminals get rid of crime evidence. Simply briilant.

Exactly. That must be the easiest way there is to dispose of a murder weapon. And get paid for it!!!

Sajedene
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
God that is painful to see. I want the vintage gun! Omg sell it to me.

Marxman
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
If we made paper-meche receivers and uppers could we turn them in for the same price - try to convince LEO that it would fire once at least? If not could we do the same thing with an actual stripper lower and paper-meche'd butt stock, pistol grip, and upper/internals? Chances are you could pass it off as a super-secret new polymer!

gregs887
05-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I've got a few Mosins laying around that I paid about $60 a piece for. I could have made some money haha.

bodger
05-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Awesome!

Yes, and I'm glad that got reported.

Ed_in_Sac
05-09-2010, 11:04 AM
"Box full of AK47's" - LA Times

So you have never seen the "evil empire's" transformer AK-47's? Looks like a cheap Saturnight Special but morphs into a assault rifle...very hush hush:)

Apocalypsenerd
05-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Man, those SKS's were nice. Some idiot is going to melt them down now. Lots of those guns looked like they were worth more than $100.

Falstaff
05-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Someone could make a small profit buying Lorcin or Raven pistols for $50 and submitting them to the buyback for $100. How's that for getting guns off the streets? Take that!

That box of chrome pistols looks brand new.... I used to buy Jennings j-22 pistols for $43.00 when I had an FFL... Not a bad markup people, we should all buy a dozen cheapo pistols to have ready for the next buyback...

cr250chevy
05-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Exactly. That must be the easiest way there is to dispose of a murder weapon. And get paid for it!!!

very true...

Lulfas
05-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, whatcha trying to get rid of?

A revolver with 2 cracks, one near the handle, one on the barrel. Grandpa gave it to me shortly before he died, never been properly transferred or anything. Told me to take it to a gun buyback at some point because he had been told it was unsafe as all hell.

Deadpool
05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Those pics are hard to look at. Some of those were pretty sweet looking! I bet the Mayor of LA has got a couple of guns at home to protect his house. Or more likely, a few body guards that carry guns 24/7 to protect him.

Carsgunsandchics
05-09-2010, 1:05 PM
How about a $25 starter pistol??

RaceDay
05-09-2010, 1:12 PM
What a surprise that LA ran out of gift cards. The same thing happened last year.

And while the one lady in the article decided not to turn in her gun for nothing, there were plenty of idiots who did.

weezil_boi
05-09-2010, 1:36 PM
what would happen to soemone who was next in line with a no-no gun and then they said "woops, all out of money folks"? Would this person get screwed into giving it up free? Would he/she get arrested or harrassed if the gun looked homemade, like a zip gun or something?

I wonder if any of those folks that turned around when they heard the money is gone will get a visit later ;)

gadjeep
05-09-2010, 1:47 PM
What about all of the people that were suckered down there only to find out that after they had probably committed several felonies to get their pistol down there, that they were just going to be sent away empty handed to commit a few more! I wonder if that would be a defense if they got pulled over and found a stashed/loaded weapon in their car?

todd2968
05-09-2010, 2:19 PM
Almost in tears.
I just have to tell myself they are illegally obtained and have one or more bodies on them.
If not these people are idiots and morons.
Do you think if I ran an add in the paper offering $100 for any legal firearm fully functioning I would get a response like that?

Ed_in_Sac
05-09-2010, 3:57 PM
One thing that has always bothered me about these "turn ins" is how does someone know their gun was actually destroyed rather than taken and used or resold? Would not be surprised to find out that the good ones, specifically collectibles, are taken out and used by Police personnel. They wouldn't resell them would they???

I would feel much better if each weapon were disabled on the spot by a bandsaw or other such method...

tombinghamthegreat
05-09-2010, 4:25 PM
If that was nearby i would consider trading a worthless .22 pistol that i doubt fires for a 100 dollars cash so i can buy a hi point:43: For some it is like a cash for clunkers...get rid of your junk gun and go buy a better one...

winnre
05-09-2010, 4:42 PM
Are we safer yet?

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 4:59 PM
A revolver with 2 cracks, one near the handle, one on the barrel. Grandpa gave it to me shortly before he died, never been properly transferred or anything. Told me to take it to a gun buyback at some point because he had been told it was unsafe as all hell.

What kind of revolver? Just because it is no longer safe to shoot does not mean that it does not have collector's and/or historical value. Who knows, it might be worth thousands or, it might be a cheap POS that was never worth more than $20.

N6ATF
05-09-2010, 5:47 PM
Are we safer yet?

Criminals are...

XJJack
05-09-2010, 6:11 PM
I did get rid of a Savage saw'd and much abused shot gun. Although they did not follow through with the $100 Visa that I was expecting. I did get $50 dollar Ralphs card and then went straight to Ammo bros to purchase a new 870.
The fact that this SG was pasted though the family with the story that it was at one time a confiscated wepon that was given to my grandfather from a Texas state trooper and looked like it had been drug down a dirt road there was no love lost.

dfletcher
05-09-2010, 6:13 PM
The usual BS from L.A. Times. I won't even bother to point out all the inaccuracies.

Thousands take part in LA gun buy-back

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_15047451?source=rss

A box full of $200.00 Ravens dropped off by one fellow - looks like capitalism is alive and well in LA!

CCWFacts
05-09-2010, 6:19 PM
A box full of $200.00 Ravens dropped off by one fellow - looks like capitalism is alive and well in LA!

It looks like the mags were removed, too. Perhaps they were removed separately by the PD. Or (I hope!) they were removed by the FFL and sold separately, for some additional profit from the transaction!

I understand the posts here saying that anyone pro-RKBA should absolutely boycott these PR events.

But what's the right thing to do with disposing of guns which have a value substantially less than what they are paying? Perhaps a gun which is old and unsafe, and needs to be destroyed, or a Raven that's worth $50 on a good day? Guns don't live forever. At some point, many / most guns reach a state of being unsafe for their intended use, having no collector value, and being beyond repair. What do do with them?

Hogxtz
05-09-2010, 7:40 PM
thats awesome, now a white guy can safely drive through watts and not get shot.

Unfreakin believable. I have never seen so much stupidty. That has to be the most unresposible thing I have ever seen law enforcement do. Say good bye to all those murder weapons that were evidence.

robcoe
05-09-2010, 7:56 PM
thats awesome, now a white guy can safely drive through watts and not get shot.

Unfreakin believable. I have never seen so much stupidty. That has to be the most unresposible thing I have ever seen law enforcement do. Say good bye to all those murder weapons that were evidence.

Just once, I would like to see the police test each gun turned in in one of these "no questions asked" gun buys and see how many were used in murders and armed robberys.

I would bet that the percentage would be high enough to stop the buy backs entierly. Nobody wants to be seen as paying criminals to destroy evidence.

N6ATF
05-09-2010, 9:09 PM
Nobody wants to be seen as paying criminals to destroy evidence.

They do, and they are. Sociopath traitors.

dantodd
05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
They do, and they are. Sociopath traitors.

I have a hard time believing they run ballistics checks on the guns turned in. If so, the aggregated information should be available via PRAR.

NO bad guy is going to give up the tools of the trade for his livelihood. However; if he ever has to use the gun in a shooting all he has to do is deliver it to the "evidence disposal event" sponsored by The Brady Bunch and LAPD and get paid to do so.

Eddie1965
05-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I was watching Fox News yesterday and they had a segment on the Chicago buy back and they were saying that most of the guns turned in were not worth the $100.

dantodd
05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I was watching Fox News yesterday and they had a segment on the Chicago buy back and they were saying that most of the guns turned in were not worth the $100.

But think of all the children who were saved by having those non-functional paperweights out of circulation. (I meant non-functional as firearms, I'm sure they functioned just fine as paperweights.)

N6ATF
05-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a hard time believing they run ballistics checks on the guns turned in. If so, the aggregated information should be available via PRAR.

NO bad guy is going to give up the tools of the trade for his livelihood. However; if he ever has to use the gun in a shooting all he has to do is deliver it to the "evidence disposal event" sponsored by The Brady Bunch and LAPD and get paid to do so.

Trimmed the quote in my reply.

Gun "buy backs" are victim disarmament, evidence disposal and criminal amnesty events, pure and simple.

dfletcher
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
It looks like the mags were removed, too. Perhaps they were removed separately by the PD. Or (I hope!) they were removed by the FFL and sold separately, for some additional profit from the transaction!

Whether a gun owner or not, I'll bet some fellow got wind of this event in advance and somehow :rolleyes: assembled these guns at about $30.00 a pop - and keeping the mags for separate sale? Very sharp indeed. I understand boycotting and not giving the devil his due so to speak, but I have to admit buying @ 30 a share and selling at 200 (plus the $7.95 or so per mag extra) is pretty slick.

pullnshoot25
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I've got a few Mosins laying around that I paid about $60 a piece for. I could have made some money haha.

Dont do that! I actually like Mosins and many people in the Marksmanship Club @ UCSD would LOVE to have a rifle of their own.

If you want to get rid of any rifles, PM me.

pullnshoot25
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Almost in tears.
I just have to tell myself they are illegally obtained and have one or more bodies on them.
If not these people are idiots and morons.
Do you think if I ran an add in the paper offering $100 for any legal firearm fully functioning I would get a response like that?

I do have ideas...

CCWFacts
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I have to admit buying @ 30 a share and selling at 200 (plus the $7.95 or so per mag extra) is pretty slick.

Yeah, seeing all those identical, new, pieces of junk, with empty magwells, made me think that's what happened. I fully understand the desire to boycott these, but look at it this way: the more FFLs soak up the $$, the less incentive non-FFLs (ordinary people) will have to get rid of dad's old 1911. And an FFL coming in first in line and taking large amounts of money for brand-new junk guns also turns a PR win into a PR fail.

tombinghamthegreat
05-10-2010, 3:09 PM
Dont do that! I actually like Mosins and many people in the Marksmanship Club @ UCSD would LOVE to have a rifle of their own.

+1. Mosins are not something to throw away despite how cheap they are.

aermotor
05-10-2010, 4:45 PM
Those communities will be among the first in the FEMA camps :TFH:

These buy backs are wrong on so many levels.

windrider
05-10-2010, 5:00 PM
i wonder how many of those were legally owned or legally transported to there, it seems like a good way to dispose of a firearm used in a crime and you get an added benefit, cash.

Mstrty
05-10-2010, 5:05 PM
Those communities will be among the first in the FEMA camps :TFH:

These buy backs are wrong on so many levels.

I agree I hate to see gun buy-backs. I also dont like any gunowner that would ever puts capitalism before RKBA. This type of person will be screaming for Government assistance at the next major SoCal disaster, and NO you cant have one of mine.

Mstrty
05-10-2010, 5:10 PM
i wonder how many of those were legally owned or legally transported to there, it seems like a good way to dispose of a firearm used in a crime and you get an added benefit, cash.

Yea I promise that camera in my patrol car is not on and recording your license plate. :rolleyes:
I believe if a bad bad man was ID'd. I hope they would take him/her down. I doubt any badguys are doing the buybacks. I bet crime guns are being turned in by others.

winnre
05-10-2010, 5:13 PM
"No officer, we are not illegally armed. We were driving to a gun buyback!"

Mike's Custom
05-10-2010, 5:18 PM
a couple years ago in Delano they did a gun buy back. $200 per gun. some guy, probably a dealer, took in 10 H&R or NEF single shot shotguns and fot $200 each for htem. dealer cost was under $100. A guy I knew had some old revolvers that were rusty and truely saturday Night Specials, cheap imports, and made money. He was getting guns from old guys that had crap like Jennings they bought for under $100 and were broken. If I ahd know I would ahve taken a bunch of NEF single shots shotguns up myself.

Wherryj
05-10-2010, 5:18 PM
This is sad. Most of the people who got $100 for a gun could have probably sold that gun to someone who wanted it for 2 or 3 times that much.

I doubt that the .28 cal would have sold to anyone for the $100, so she seems to have made a good deal.

SP1200
05-10-2010, 5:21 PM

Profit? Not in CA.
$100 in fees by the time your out the door.

Wherryj
05-10-2010, 5:35 PM
I do. Here's why.

We all agree that the gun buy backs are not truly effective at fighting crime. Those who are inclined to exchange the weapons are probably not criminals, because criminals would value even the appearance of a weapon (even if it didnt work) over a gift card. We also all agree that firearms are not the cause of crime (because they are only a tool in a person's hand.) So if this does not fight crime and firearms do not cause crime the only purpose for the gun buy back is for desiminating propaganda.

This is an event designed for the media to demonize firearms and accuse the implement for the staggering violent crime in our communities. So when you see these buy backs on the news, its actually a free advertisment by local media for anti-gunners to advance their beliefs with the support of local law enforcement. A free advertisment, I might add, that would discourage potential customers from buying a new or used weapon from you as a gun retailer.

LA should be doing criminal buy backs. $50 bucks for a murdering gang-member, rendered down on sight in a blast furnace.

cmaynes
05-10-2010, 11:17 PM
If there were pre 1986 NFA guns turned in, that would suck pretty seriously- as to the other stuff- well- its sad, sort of, but the owners were asking for trouble in all likelihood keeping them. I personally consider a gun owned casually to be an accidental firearms fatality in the making. If you arent going to commit to dealing with a gun seriously, maybe you shouldn't own one.

ChuckBooty
05-11-2010, 7:48 AM
Every time they hold a "buy back" (as if the local PD were the original sellers, right?) we talk about holding a CalGuns Buy Back. So far, we haven't been able to make one happen. I guess it'd be because we don't have the cash or gift card thing figured out.

But maybe if we can get local grocery stores, gas station chains, or whatever to DONATE to our cause....(Hello, this is blahblah calling from the CalGuns Foundation...yes...well the reason that I'm calling is that we are coordinating a gun buy-back and would like to see if you would like to sponsor this event by way of gift-card donations. )

It could happen...

REH
05-11-2010, 9:07 AM
That box full of ravens is probably from the two pallets of them that was stolen from the factory

That is what I was thinking. They look new. So who bought that many, then said, I think I'll turn these into the police and take a bath on the price.

dadoody
05-11-2010, 9:14 AM
I'd like to ask why a lot of these idiots giving their legal guns are doing so for $100 cards, when they could sell some of them for much much more in cash, but I know the answer: there are a lot of idiots around here. Seriously.

I think Calguns members make up only a tiny portion of CA gun owners as well which is a shame.

dirtnap
05-11-2010, 9:26 AM
I'd like to ask why a lot of these idiots giving their legal guns are doing so for $100 cards, when they could sell some of them for much much more in cash, but I know the answer: there are a lot of idiots around here. Seriously.

I think Calguns members make up only a tiny portion of CA gun owners as well which is a shame.

My broken gun is legal, not worth being fixed, and it cost me less than 100.00 to buy originally. So some of the people out there are just getting rid of junk they would have to throw away(for safety reasons) and getting 100.00 out of these suckers to boot. Maybe there are not as many idiots around as you think ;)

XJJack
05-11-2010, 9:33 AM
Wish there was a system the public could look up a gun to see if what they had, they could keep without trouble, but when it was just handed down in family for years, and you do not know it's past before that or even if sombody in your family obtained it inproperly. It makes one nervous to even keep somthing that could potetionly change there life in a bad way or turn it in for some money with no questions asked.
The nice answer is to sell these to sombody who wants them, but once the DROS process is started and somthing is found fishy then knowbody gets anything but more problems.

loather
05-11-2010, 9:38 AM
Except as I eluded to in another thread, every single gun they get "off the streets" with one of these buybacks is more fuel for them to prove to their bosses that "gun buybacks work." The more people that participate in these -- even the ones who want to make a buck on something not worth $100 or dispose of a non-functioning firearm -- are helping the anti-gunners win.

The more firearms that are collected, the better the buybacks "work," and the more often they will happen. The more often they happen, the more the media gets to daemonize firearms and firearm ownership.

No good comes from these buybacks. No good at all.

Anyone who brings a firearm to one of these events may as well have a Brady card in their wallet. Yes, this is honestly how I feel.

Big E
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
My broken gun is legal, not worth being fixed, and it cost me less than 100.00 to buy originally. So some of the people out there are just getting rid of junk they would have to throw away(for safety reasons) and getting 100.00 out of these suckers to boot. Maybe there are not as many idiots around as you think ;)

Mine wasn't broken either. It was a .25 cal. revolver my Dad had and was left to me when he passed (but no sentimental value, I still have the rifle which did). Researched it and it was valued between $50 - $75. Put it up for sale at $75 OBO, no takers in 4 months. Took it to last year’s buy back and got $100 for it. Took that money and applied to a new 9MM. My Glock and I have been happy ever since….but apparently I’m just an idiot too.

REH
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
OK I screwed up. I looked at the pictures and I think I spotted a Beretta mod 70. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. One of my favorite.

Rekrab
05-11-2010, 1:23 PM
PD should be turning around and offering these at a higher price to gun buyers. No reason to waste all the potential money.

Harrison_Bergeron
05-11-2010, 2:24 PM
If our side publicizes crime stats between buybacks it takes away any warm and fuzzies generated by the "success". Someone posted that crime in LA was up 5% since last year's buyback, so how can one say that the buyback was a success? If they got more guns this year than last year, and crime still increases, that makes the venture even more of a failure. Add in the bit about guns from crimes being turned in with no questions asked and you just took the lead in the PR war.

Except as I eluded to in another thread, every single gun they get "off the streets" with one of these buybacks is more fuel for them to prove to their bosses that "gun buybacks work." The more people that participate in these -- even the ones who want to make a buck on something not worth $100 or dispose of a non-functioning firearm -- are helping the anti-gunners win.

The more firearms that are collected, the better the buybacks "work," and the more often they will happen. The more often they happen, the more the media gets to daemonize firearms and firearm ownership.

No good comes from these buybacks. No good at all.

Anyone who brings a firearm to one of these events may as well have a Brady card in their wallet. Yes, this is honestly how I feel.

Did anyone see the RPG on display for the reporters? WTF?
Anyone with a shred of common sense: Really, the cops just accepted an RPG with no questions asked?
Anyone with a shred of common sense: No? So they handed over $100-$200 for a dummy?
Anyone with a shred of common sense: No? Then why was it on the table being touted as part of this successful buyback?

edgerly779
05-11-2010, 2:34 PM
What visa cards I turned in 2 rifles and got ralphs cards and I was early. Also they said sks not assault rifles. Even with 30 rd detachable mag. You go thru line they take guns and at end they say sorry not assault rifle and the gun is gone already.

N6ATF
05-11-2010, 3:03 PM
What visa cards I turned in 2 rifles and got ralphs cards and I was early. Also they said sks not assault rifles. Even with 30 rd detachable mag. You go thru line they take guns and at end they say sorry not assault rifle and the gun is gone already.

Sounds like theft by fraud, false advertising... and of course the criminals with badges will not arrest themselves.

Apocalypsenerd
05-11-2010, 9:04 PM
I'm considering buying a bunch of the $50 u-fix-em's from Century. I'll mix and match parts to get one working weapon and then take the rest to the next buy back for a profit.

dantodd
05-11-2010, 9:13 PM
If you want to stop these buy-backs everyone should try to turn in a gun worth less than $100 and then start a "brag" thread here about how much money we made and the fact that we spent it at gun stores. Point a liberal reporter to the thread as a "concerned citizen" who is worried about the buy-back money going right back into evil guns and poof, no more buy-backs.

!@#$
05-11-2010, 9:22 PM
i dumped an old junker and was happy to get $100 for it.

most of them were libs handing over what looked to be grandpa's hunting rifle,shotgun, 22 rifle. i did see one nice s&w revolver a 19 i think.

the best item of the day was a cut down shotgun with maybe a ten inch barrel turned in by a gang member looking guy. you know that one has some bodies on it.

pullnshoot25
05-11-2010, 9:37 PM
Every time they hold a "buy back" (as if the local PD were the original sellers, right?) we talk about holding a CalGuns Buy Back. So far, we haven't been able to make one happen. I guess it'd be because we don't have the cash or gift card thing figured out.

But maybe if we can get local grocery stores, gas station chains, or whatever to DONATE to our cause....(Hello, this is blahblah calling from the CalGuns Foundation...yes...well the reason that I'm calling is that we are coordinating a gun buy-back and would like to see if you would like to sponsor this event by way of gift-card donations. )

It could happen...

There are ideas in the pipeline...

RRangel
05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
So I guess this time the "school zone" wasn't an issue. Did the LAPD find a safe spot to hold their buyback? What about all the people that drove through LA with their cardboard box of Lorcins? Not a peep about this law in all the elitist clamor. Anyone have any idea of the nearest school zone?

stitchnicklas
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
can't help but to wonder how many guns the cops kept for their personal collections??????????

Veggie
05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
very true...

That is exactly what I thought when I read this. The next victim of the firearms turned in is more important then the last one. Let murderers turn their firearms in minutes after murdering someone with immunity.

RRangel
05-15-2010, 6:50 PM
I can't get out of my head what a scam that "gun buybacks" are. The progressive elitists try and convince the populace that inanimate objects are the problem. Not their terrible ideology that brings with it detrimental policies that they coerce populations into following.

I came across a very interesting article at PJM about the UN. It correlates a lack of citizen armament to less freedom, and even an increased level of corruption in government.

The piece pretty much spells out why statist politicians love to disarm their constituents.

In the face of such facts, the UN’s agenda becomes obvious: By disarming civilians, governments will have free reign to abuse public office for private gain. Moreover, people won’t be able to do anything about it, because civilian disarmament also correlates with reduced political and civil rights. Disarmament also correlates with reduced economic freedom.

When added together, the result is feudalism, which historically is the most common socio-economic system, where the elite few control the vast majority of arms, power, and resources.

Do you think that all political proponents of "gun buybacks" have best interests at heart?

PJM (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/un-determined-to-destroy-america%E2%80%99s-second-amendment/)

N6ATF
05-15-2010, 9:20 PM
Do you think that all political proponents of "gun buybacks" have best interests at heart?

Of criminals' only.

Dwight K. Schrute
05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
The city of LA has a deficit that is almost $500 million. What a great way to spend the people's money. Glad I don't live in LA.

vrylak
05-16-2010, 12:14 AM
"For those who turn their swords into plowshares, plow for those who didn't"
forgot who said that. but....

So, $200k of taxpayers money was used to acquire something and then turned into something virtually worthless or lesser value, sounds to me an AUDIT here is called for.. not just for the present and most recent but also for the past.

Ford8N
05-16-2010, 5:14 AM
Mine wasn't broken either. It was a .25 cal. revolver my Dad had and was left to me when he passed (but no sentimental value, I still have the rifle which did). Researched it and it was valued between $50 - $75. Put it up for sale at $75 OBO, no takers in 4 months. Took it to last year’s buy back and got $100 for it. Took that money and applied to a new 9MM. My Glock and I have been happy ever since….but apparently I’m just an idiot too.

This.

I hear people mention on this thread that you should offer up the gun here instead of taking it to the buy back. At the buy back you get a $100. You would have to offer your gun for less here to sell it to a buyer for a $100 due to transfer fees/taxes/DROS. I say go for the money.

Pig Rifle
05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Here's something I've been wondering. I notice that both on this forum AND in line at the gun buyback, many people who take part say that they're using the money to buy a better gun. Well, it's a Ralph's gift card they give out. Is Ralph's willing to give you guys cash for these?

nick
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's something I've been wondering. I notice that both on this forum AND in line at the gun buyback, many people who take part say that they're using the money to buy a better gun. Well, it's a Ralph's gift card they give out. Is Ralph's willing to give you guys cash for these?

They also had Visa gift cards.

nick
05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
This.

I hear people mention on this thread that you should offer up the gun here instead of taking it to the buy back. At the buy back you get a $100. You would have to offer your gun for less here to sell it to a buyer for a $100 due to transfer fees/taxes/DROS. I say go for the money.

Umm, no. You'd offer it for $100 or more, depending on the gun's value. Buyer usually pays the transfer fees. There're no taxes on PPT transfers, just the $35 flat fee.

dark_ninja
05-16-2010, 2:32 PM
[QUOTE=Wherryj;4266804]LA should be doing criminal buy backs. $50 bucks for a murdering gang-member, rendered down on sight in a blast furnace.[/QUOTE

how about $100 for scalping a gangbanger!?
That should reduce crime!

RRangel
05-16-2010, 2:59 PM
The city of LA has a deficit that is almost $500 million. What a great way to spend the people's money. Glad I don't live in LA.

Private business donated $200,000 in gift cards for this buyback. Though the city is handling the logistics of dealing with turned in firearms and behind the scenes work.

That means the city employs LAPD personnel that could be better used serving the public in a more conventional capacity. Instead of on what amounts to an antigun propaganda campaign.

Ford8N
05-16-2010, 3:05 PM
Umm, no. You'd offer it for $100 or more, depending on the gun's value. Buyer usually pays the transfer fees. There're no taxes on PPT transfers, just the $35 flat fee.

Ok I see what you are saying. I'm curious, who in SoCal does a $35 transfer fee?

John Sukey
05-16-2010, 6:47 PM
Seejms to me that the guns that get turned in are not the ones that were shooting folks.

N6ATF
05-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Seejms to me that the guns that get turned in are not the ones that were shooting folks.

Other than the fact that guns are not sentient and mobile... criminals would have to be idiots not to participate in evidence destruction/100% amnesty events.